News Sources

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: News Sources

Post by Whistler » October 9, 2022, 12:24 pm

Tinpot? The largest regional council in NSW by population

Another pivot. Not allowing Australian flag is still BS

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 9, 2022, 7:16 pm

I am happy to recommend this News Source for the attention of the current protagonists. 👍

Enjoy - you know who you are.

https://www.abc.net.au/abckids/shows/play-school/

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 9, 2022, 11:36 pm

Boy I'm glad the posters from U.S. don't have this kind of problem with our news sources. 😁

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 10, 2022, 6:57 am

One assumes that the majority of the current slew of posters are in fact in charge of their respective mental abilities personally. Which begs me to comment what a load of utter codswallop this current post has descended into .

News is a generic term attributed to information pushed out by a whole variety of both written and electronically with which to titilate the masses ionto a more opften than not a KNEE JERK reaction in order to garner support for a particular problem, be that Taxes, Killings, or other heinious crimes as we ALL KNOW GOOD HAPPY NEWS is rarely reported.
That being said, my initial point of posters being mentally aware . Each individual has the power to accept or ignore News articles and I guarantee that most will only have read one or two sources, whereas the other day I noted 16 different stories about one event in a foreign land told in 16 different ways and depending on your own political stance and colour etc, it would upset you or not.

One mans meat is anothers poison, Politically biased news reporting is NOT new, neither is any other type of biased news, it take s strong person to make a decision and stick to it, BUT and even stronger person to admit they were wrong as NEW information comes to light.
These days of electronic transmission of NEWS is part of the problem I fear.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 10, 2022, 7:14 am

Khun Paul wrote:
October 10, 2022, 6:57 am
it take s strong person to make a decision and stick to it, BUT and even stronger person to admit they were wrong as NEW information comes to light.
A salient point
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 15, 2022, 7:13 am

For many years now I have been arguing that all extremists are the same. That the hard left and hard right not only enable and fuel each other but that they also often end up in the exact same place saying the exact same things.

Indeed I said precisely that in this column a fortnight ago when I warned that Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe’s ranting against the Indigenous Voice to Parliament not only sounded like the arguments of the right but was also being used by the right as a weapon to campaign against it.

But even I did not in my wildest dreams foresee that Thorpe would be revealed as having actively pleaded to Pauline Hanson herself to block constitutional recognition for First Nations peoples.

For those who are just joining us from another planet, it was revealed this week that in 2017 Thorpe tweeted directly to the One Nation leader: “Pauline help us stop the constitution changes. Aboriginal people say no to constitutional change.”

Yes, the Greens’ deputy senate leader and spokesperson for First Nations peoples proactively and personally sought an alliance with Pauline Hanson to kill off constitutional recognition for First Nations peoples.

If I or anyone else at the myriad News Corp stables had reported such a thing it would have been dismissed by the Greens and the usual other affluent leftist elites as a conspiracy conjured by the “hate media”.

Indeed, that very term was coined by Greens founder Bob Brown after he coerced Julia Gillard into breaking her cornerstone election promise of never introducing a carbon tax and whose government’s response to criticism of that broken promise was an attempt to muzzle the media itself.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... fdc9d101a2

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 15, 2022, 9:13 am

noosard wrote:
October 15, 2022, 7:13 am

For those who are just joining us from another planet, it was revealed this week that in 2017 Thorpe tweeted directly to the One Nation leader: “Pauline help us stop the constitution changes. Aboriginal people say no to constitutional change.”

Was that a totally different proposal, from a government of a totally different political complexion, than that currently proposed by the new government?

I can't be bothered doing a full criticism of the linked column - other than to say that IMO, it is a crock of nonsense ***

*** Oh dear - the forum/google/software censorship of naughty words has become absurd. Instead of replacing the "offending" word with asterisks, it it now imposing a new word of its own choosing. FMD!
In case you are wondering, my original word started with s, ended in t, and said hi in the middle.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 15, 2022, 10:34 am

The Greens’ First Nations spokesperson, Lidia Thorpe, says she will not back a “no” campaign against an Indigenous voice to parliament, despite previously criticising the government’s proposal as a “wasted exercise”.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... parliament

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 15, 2022, 10:43 am

Already fixed. :D
Last edited by jackspratt on October 15, 2022, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 10:57 am

The 2017 Statement from the Heart was widely regarded as a sham. The proposed changes to the Constitution would only perpetuate the UK Crown's domination of Aboriginal people and void Aboriginal sovereignty which they never ceded.

The News limited piece is a blatant attack on the Greens, a distortion of the facts writ large.

Not that we need it, but News limited once again demonstrates that it is an unreliable source. Unless the facts on individual articles can be cross referenced.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 11:54 am

noosard wrote:
October 15, 2022, 7:13 am
For many years now I have been arguing that all extremists are the same. That the hard left and hard right not only enable and fuel each other but that they also often end up in the exact same place saying the exact same things.

Indeed I said precisely that in this column a fortnight ago when I warned that Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe’s ranting against the Indigenous Voice to Parliament not only sounded like the arguments of the right but was also being used by the right as a weapon to campaign against it.

But even I did not in my wildest dreams foresee that Thorpe would be revealed as having actively pleaded to Pauline Hanson herself to block constitutional recognition for First Nations peoples.

Yes, the Greens’ deputy senate leader and spokesperson for First Nations peoples proactively and personally sought an alliance with Pauline Hanson to kill off constitutional recognition for First Nations peoples.

If I or anyone else at the myriad News Corp stables had reported such a thing it would have been dismissed by the Greens and the usual other affluent leftist elites as a conspiracy conjured by the “hate media”.

Indeed, that very term was coined by Greens founder Bob Brown after he coerced Julia Gillard into breaking her cornerstone election promise of never introducing a carbon tax and whose government’s response to criticism of that broken promise was an attempt to muzzle the media itself.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... fdc9d101a2
More on the author from his wiki profile, this guy is a news Limited hack to the core

On 2 April 2014, Hildebrand apologised for remarks he had made during a panel discussion on Studio 10, prior to an interview by that program with Rosie Batty, whose ex-partner murdered their 11-year-old son.[11]

On 18 June 2014, Hildebrand and Tilley did make[clarification needed] comments on the show "The One Percenters" of Triple M radio. The phrase that generated the polemic[clarification needed] was that "Everybody in Colombia, owns, sells and do cocaine".[12] These comments resulted in an online campaign and a diplomatic letter from the Embassy of Colombia in Australia. The letter asked for an apology from the radio station and the radio commentators.[13]

On 14 July 2014, Hildebrand was criticised on social media following comments he made on Twitter mentioning a television interview with Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe that screened that night.[14]

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 17, 2022, 6:04 pm

I have been looking for an early evening news source for a while. Delighted today to discover Al Jazeera news hour 5pm till 6pm Thai time.

Very thorough and well balanced world news coverage. Not much for our North American members but there is plenty of that from multiple sources

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2022, 7:42 pm

Sitting around waiting for the 5 o'clock TV news.

Not high on my list of priorities.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 17, 2022, 8:00 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 17, 2022, 7:42 pm
Sitting around waiting for the 5 o'clock TV news.

Not high on my list of priorities.
What a thoroughly nasty post.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 17, 2022, 8:06 pm

And you trust a state owned Qatar network for news, more than the corporate/Murdoch owned Western media?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 17, 2022, 8:15 pm

By a country mile stat. Can I suggest you watch it and form your own opinion?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 17, 2022, 11:00 pm

I watch AJ a couple of times a week .......... I also try to look at most other networks as I like to get a balanced opinion from both left and right wing media before making my own mind up as to who I believe on what subjects

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 19, 2022, 5:30 am

While the reliability of the source of news is important, it is even more important to understand what the news means in its correct context.

However, even knowing the correct context can be insufficient to understand the full picture.

As an example over the last few months I have read numerous articles written about the International Reserves of the Bank of Thailand in different media – every one of them has viewed the International Reserves from only one angle, yet there is actually a second angle that is reported at exactly the same time by the same source that has not only been completely overlooked but, it can be argued, may actually be more relevant to the economy of Thailand.

While I don’t believe that any of the articles I read about the reserves were designed to intentionally mislead or portray an incorrect picture they did mislead and did portray a bias because they failed to consider the second angle, the source of the information they used in the articles is reliable and where data was used in the articles it was accurate – but the journalism was sloppy (as is all too common in economic and financial articles) and, by only using one angle, failed to provide proper context.

A picture (or a couple of charts in this case, is said to be worth a thousand words; these two charts use the same source of data yet portray two very different pictures:

• This chart shows a fall in the reserves of 11.3%
    BoTNIRUSD2022.10.07.jpg
  • This chart shows a rise in the reserves of 10.1%
    BoTNIRTHB2022.10.07.jpg
  • Both the rise and the fall in the reserves in the above charts are correct. :-k

The time period of both of these charts of the Net International Reserves of Thailand are identical being data from 27th December 2019 to the latest report issued last Friday for data on 7th October 2022.

I selected the 27th December 2019 as the start date for the charts as it was the date of the last reported data for the Net International Reserves of Thailand by the BoT before Covid-19 began to impact financial markets.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » October 19, 2022, 6:08 am

JimboPSM wrote:
October 19, 2022, 5:30 am
While the reliability of the source of news is important, it is even more important to understand what the news means in its correct context.
Excellent example JimboPSM.

This type of analysis and reporting is most definitely rare nowadays. I'm still unsure if it is pure laziness on the pundits part or which narrative fits the news agency party/company/vision line.

Thanks for this.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 19, 2022, 9:54 am

Partly it can be explained by the fact that people have switched looking at the news from the newspaper to online sources. Some of the excellent reporters have left the business and current writers are not as good as previous reporters..
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Return to “Open Forum”