News Sources

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: News Sources

Post by tamada » October 19, 2022, 11:18 am

Aren't foreign reserves quotes normally exclusive of any nation's own national currency? You can hold all the Thai Baht you can but if it's not worth a spit in the grand scheme of things, who's winning?

PS: I prefer pastel shades when I want to tart up my Excel graphs.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 19, 2022, 3:35 pm

I commented some time back on another thread about the deeply philosophical and intellectual thought processes and reasoning that caused Thailand to decide to start using the USD in some of its economic reports – it made the numbers look better :shock:

As a generalisation using foreign currenci numbers will exaggerates in percentage terms increases or decreases in growth - if those percentages are then fed into economic forecasting models they will distort the forecasts.

It is an incredibly dangerous practice (perhaps moronic would be a better choice of word than dangerous) to use the currency of one country to measure the economic performance of another country as, sooner or later, an economics version of Murphy’s law will occur.

I have a suspicions that there have been, since USD numbers started to be used in some economic reports, a number of instances of an economics version of Murphy’s law occurring within the government.

It would provide a rationale as to why a number of economic forecasts were so wide of the mark – some members may have noticed in the past just how poor some economic forecasts were and how frequently they were subject to major revisions.

A little more information as to what the International Reserves of Thailand are composed of:
  • Thailand GROSS and NET International Reserves as at 7th October 2022
    BoT_IR_Composition2022.10.07.jpg

From the Bank of Thailand:
International Reserves

Foreign assets held or controlled by the central bank which are readily available for financing the balance of payments imbalances or to be used as a tool in carrying out exchange rate policy.

International reserves consists of monetary gold, special drawing rights (SDRs), reserve positions in the Fund, and foreign exchange assets.

Source: https://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistic ... erves.aspx
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 19, 2022, 3:37 pm

^ Excellent, enlightening and informative.

Many thanks
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 14, 2022, 10:11 pm

I watched Fox and Friends this evening to see non progressive opinions and what they had to say.

1. Biggest political news item in USA at the moment was mid terms. Not one mention.

2. No FAF interviewers asked questions about their predominantly right wing guests. They fed them Dorothy Dixon's or sagely agreed.

3. Coverage of G20 was a bit slim but outraged FAF panel thought number one question Biden should pose to Xi was why did China send Covid to the USA.

4. They covered collapse if FTX by announcing the CEO was a Democrat contributor without explaining any relevance.

5. I loved the ads, Mike Lidell, (prominently displaying a Christian cross pendent), ambulance chaser lawyers, a mountain of pharmaceuticals for the elders, evangelical churches urging people to come to cheeses.

6. Not one mention of COPS 27

Every single segment dripping with right wing negativity.

News limited's Fox network was a 100% joke.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 15, 2022, 7:45 am

If you sucked down a whole episode of F&F, you shouldn't need an enema.

Now, can you give us a similarly unbiased and non-judgemental review of CNN?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 15, 2022, 8:09 am

Whichever way you look at it 90% of all News Agencies across America are biased politically , especially including the Major News Companies and I really wonder what the American sthink of an Australian screwing up the news on FOX.

Oh well to my mind, read it , try to understand it and then contact friends and family in the usa to ascertain what is fact or fiction and sadly over 90% fiction , so at least they should get a Literary prize for fiction writing,reporting and other nonsense.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 15, 2022, 8:16 am

tamada wrote:
November 15, 2022, 7:45 am

Good idea
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 15, 2022, 8:58 am

I'd be curious to know what % of UK news is fiction as compared to "90% fiction" in the US.
John Oliver provides some assessment of the veracity of the British press (or is it still 'too soon'?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWterDbJKjY

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 15, 2022, 11:47 am

Probablky about the same, Bad News always sells and more outrageous you can make it the beter scintillating headline and more papers sold .
There was a attempt a few years back to always print or transmit geed news sadly that died a death as people were not interested . Like car accidents everyone rubbernecks, but good driving goes completely unnoticed.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 15, 2022, 2:08 pm

Whistler wrote:
November 15, 2022, 8:16 am
tamada wrote:

Good idea
Chalk and Cheese compared to F&F

Headine stories were G20 report, Mid terms with Kari Lake being defeated, Ukraine war, Pence on Trump, Murder by footballer and coverage of COPS 27. Michelle Obama who said she would not endorse Biden fo 2023 at this time.

To be fair, I looked at news and not opinion. But zero comparison between the two and that Brian Kilmeade on F&F is a dead set grinning idiot.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 19, 2022, 10:04 am

FB_IMG_1668827007020.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 19, 2022, 10:31 am

Whistler wrote:
November 15, 2022, 2:08 pm
Whistler wrote:
November 15, 2022, 8:16 am
tamada wrote:

Good idea
Chalk and Cheese compared to F&F

Headine stories were G20 report, Mid terms with Kari Lake being defeated, Ukraine war, Pence on Trump, Murder by footballer and coverage of COPS 27. Michelle Obama who said she would not endorse Biden fo 2023 at this time.

To be fair, I looked at news and not opinion. But zero comparison between the two and that Brian Kilmeade on F&F is a dead set grinning idiot.
Kilmeade is there to counter the deep and thoughtful comments from the dorky Doozy.

No idea what the bimbo in the middle is for.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 6, 2022, 7:58 am

318077814_1590493904719910_14709440127125510_n.jpg

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 20, 2022, 8:11 am

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese once said it was “complete nonsense” and part of a media obsession — but now it’s come true.
Former prime minister Kevin Rudd will become Australia’s new ambassador to the US.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made the announcement on Tuesday morning, saying his predecessor would bring “unmatched experience to the role”.
That’s despite Mr Albanese rubbishing suggestions in the lead-up to the May election that Dr Rudd would be the next ambassador in Washington.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 20, 2022, 9:25 am

The reference to Albo's comments pre election only appears in News Limited publications adding a negative thread as only News Limited can do.

The substance of this announcment is Rudd was appointed US Ambassador. He had his times as PM, the highlight was his handling of the GFC, the rest of his tenure ranged from OK to not very OK, but horses for courses. He should be a valuable link between the US and Australia particularly adding an enormous understanding of China in joint policy setting.

They say 24 hours is a long time in politics, 7 months is eons. News Limited's pettiness in reporting this appointment is rather predictable.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 20, 2022, 9:55 am

So did News limited prophesied the future
Where Albo didnt

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 20, 2022, 10:28 am

The interview was with channel nine, not News Limited. In May, before the election, we have no idea what Albo's thoughts were about a new US Ambassador. He wasn't even the Prime Minister.

Just another niggling report by News Limited. I googled the appointment for this and not one other news outlet, Australian, American or international went back to pre-election statements. Pretty tellng isn't it?

Ditto for you noos, you only post negative articles. And pretty much seem to rely on that biased organisation. How come you didn't also post that Albo's popularity continues to grow substantially with many articles praising his first 6 months in the role?
Last edited by Whistler on December 20, 2022, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 20, 2022, 10:38 am

cause i can leave you to love the pollies

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 20, 2022, 12:38 pm

silly comment, neither addresses the issue of news sources, nor the fact that News Limited's (words should be reversed) reporting is inconsistent with all other news outlets. nor noos predilection to posting negative articles.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 20, 2022, 1:38 pm

Whistler wrote:
December 20, 2022, 10:28 am
... I googled the appointment for this and not one other news outlet, Australian, American or international went back to pre-election statements. Pretty tellng isn't it?
In this age of sticking it to Xi Jinping and the CCP, there's nothing at all remarkable about the global mainstream media's collective determination that having a politician with tangible Chinese experience and language abilities on the team is all good. Any perceived failings in his political career is irrelevant in this new world order. Earlier sins will he forgotten if not forgiven All of a sudden he's Dr. Rudd despite earning that accolade ages ago.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Open Forum”