WORDS

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: WORDS

Post by Earnest » March 10, 2023, 2:55 pm

No.

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 11, 2023, 6:33 pm

scrupulous
adjective | SKROO-pyuh-lus

What It Means

Scrupulous means “very careful about doing something correctly.” It can also mean “careful about doing what is honest and morally right.”

// She was always very scrupulous about her work, paying attention to every little detail.

// Less scrupulous companies find ways to evade the law.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 11, 2023, 8:25 pm

Uh huh.

Pedantic, DooDoo.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 12, 2023, 4:31 pm

Mandingo, DooDoo.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 12, 2023, 8:55 pm

Rescind, DooDoo.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 13, 2023, 4:37 pm

apotheosis
noun | uh-pah-thee-OH-sis

Meaning

Apotheosis means "the perfect form or example of something" or "the highest or best part of something." It can also mean "elevation to divine status; deification."

Some consider (however ironically) french fries to be the apotheosis of U.S. cuisine.

Their music reached its creative apotheosis in the late aughts, which is also when they won two Grammys.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 14, 2023, 1:51 am

Apathetic, DooDoo.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 15, 2023, 5:08 pm

nadir
noun | NAY-deer

What It Means

Nadir refers to the lowest or worst point of something. When used in astronomy, nadir describes the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the zenith and vertically downward from the observer.

Only once the novel's protagonist reaches her nadir does she arouse the reader's empathy, and we root for her to climb back to respectability.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 15, 2023, 8:47 pm

"sententious"

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 16, 2023, 1:28 am

Sanctimonious, DooDoo.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 16, 2023, 5:38 pm

heterodox

HET-uh-ruh-dahks

What It Means

A synonym of both unorthodox and unconventional, heterodox describes something, such an idea or belief, that is contrary to or different from an acknowledged standard, a traditional form, or an established religion. Heterodox can also describe a person or group that holds unorthodox opinions or doctrines.

// The columnist’s heterodox opinions on everything from dietary trends to the tax code made her a frequent lightning rod for criticism by the newspaper’s more old-fashioned readership.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 16, 2023, 11:17 pm

KP, you mean?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 18, 2023, 4:53 pm

lacuna

noun | luh-KOO-nuh

What It Means

Lacuna is a formal word that refers to a gap or blank space in something—in other words, a missing part. When used with respect to biology, lacuna also refers to a small cavity, pit, or discontinuity in an anatomical structure.

// The absence of hemlock pollen from one stretch of the fossil record is a notable lacuna that suggests the tree may have once suffered from some type of blight that nearly wiped out the species.

// An osteocyte is a cell that is isolated in a lacuna of bone.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 18, 2023, 7:03 pm

Redact, DooDoo, a superb word from the English lexicon.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 18, 2023, 9:39 pm

Retract, Ernest a word from every lexicon when it is appropriate.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 19, 2023, 9:59 am

Moderation Ernie, an excellent approach in managing forums

mod·er·a·tion
/ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behavior or political opinions.
"he urged them to show moderation"
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2023, 4:58 pm

tactile

adjective | TAK-tul

What It Means

Tactile describes something related to the sense of touch. It can also be used to describe something that is tangible, that is, perceptible by touch.

With the introduction of haptics to smartphones, receiving a call from a friend became a much more tactile experience

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 19, 2023, 9:13 pm

Abundance

A-bun-dance.

Petit pain doing the can-can.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 20, 2023, 1:54 am

Whistler wrote:
March 19, 2023, 9:59 am

mod·er·a·tion
/ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behavior or political opinions.
Or exercise moderation when you see a response on a thread that you don't like rather than instructing them not to post?

Sure, I get it.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 20, 2023, 3:05 am

Earnest wrote:
March 20, 2023, 1:54 am
Whistler wrote:
March 19, 2023, 9:59 am

mod·er·a·tion
/ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
Or exercise moderation when you see a response on a thread that you don't like rather than instructing them not to post?

Sure, I get it.
Interesting structure and wording of recent posts if I didn't know better, it would say it looked like two different people are sharing the same ID.

Return to “Open Forum”