WORDS

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: WORDS

Post by stattointhailand » April 28, 2023, 6:20 pm

Wow, never expected one little wind up to get the forum moving would have so much reaction ..... :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 28, 2023, 8:27 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 28, 2023, 6:20 pm
Wow, never expected one little wind up to get the forum moving would have so much reaction ..... :lol:
That is a wind up.

Not sure your previous few posts were. :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 28, 2023, 8:36 pm

That's why I thought I had better use the smile emoji in case anyone was taking it tooooooo seriously

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2023, 9:04 pm

Oh don't worry you are ultra famous now. Just trying to find the appropriate adjective(s) to describe you and your postings

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2023, 9:14 pm

Apologies
Just incase you cannot decipher the larger words that were posted
I will help along

Decipher
convert (a text written in code, or a coded signal) into normal language:
"keys allow people to decipher coded messages

Famous
known about by many people:
"the country is famous for its natural beauty"

Appropriate
suitable or proper in the circumstances:
"a measure appropriate to a wartime economy"

verb

take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission:
"his images have been appropriated by advertisers"

Adjective
a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 29, 2023, 1:45 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 6:07 pm
Udon Map wrote:
April 28, 2023, 11:07 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 9:14 am
... if a person does not understand what you say, it is you that has failed to communicate, not their inability to understand.
Really. So miscommunication is ALWAYS the fault of the speaker, and NEVER the fault of the listener.

Wow. I learn something new every day. :roll:
Yep it is the definition of Comunication obviously NOT taught in those American Universities
Well, then, let's see how the Oxford Learner's Dictionary (a publication of the verrry British OED) defines it:
failure to make information or your ideas and feelings clear to somebody, or to understand what somebody says to you
So I guess that it's the same in the U.K. as it is in "those American Universities".

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 29, 2023, 10:11 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 29, 2023, 1:45 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 6:07 pm
Udon Map wrote:
April 28, 2023, 11:07 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 9:14 am
... if a person does not understand what you say, it is you that has failed to communicate, not their inability to understand.
Really. So miscommunication is ALWAYS the fault of the speaker, and NEVER the fault of the listener.

Wow. I learn something new every day. :roll:
Yep it is the definition of Comunication obviously NOT taught in those American Universities
Well, then, let's see how the Oxford Learner's Dictionary (a publication of the verrry British OED) defines it:
failure to make information or your ideas and feelings clear to somebody, or to understand what somebody says to you
So I guess that it's the same in the U.K. as it is in "those American Universities".
Attachments
1hb2am.jpg
Watch Me!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 29, 2023, 10:41 am

No point in continuing as anything said contrary to what some people think is ALWAYS moderated out and deleted before posting as some snowflake somewhere is offended or hates criticism. Sad state of affairs free speech is no longer allowed on here .

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 29, 2023, 11:01 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 29, 2023, 10:41 am
No point in continuing as anything said contrary to what some people think is ALWAYS moderated out and deleted before posting as some snowflake somewhere is offended or hates criticism. Sad state of affairs free speech is no longer allowed on here .
As you can see, all of your posts are here without revision. And, as you and I both know, admitting when you are wrong is not one of your strong suits, but refusing to do so in the face of facts which contradict you is evidence of a closed mind.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 29, 2023, 1:28 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 29, 2023, 10:41 am
Just a suggestion.

Why not think a bit before you post, maybe instead of making a bare statement, check if it correct, and if you are wrong based on the facts, accept it.

Two obvious examples.

You ripped into me a short while ago, highly disparaging remarks when I stated the USS Enterprise anchored, but was unable to dock in Sydney because there was no wharf big enough for that 90,000 ton craft. Later I posted a history of the ship that confirmed what I had seen with my own eyes was correct. A wharf that is around 200 odd metres cannot accommodate a 400+ metre aircraft carrier, but that did not stop you from making numerous, abusive and sarcastic posts on the subject. That is not free speech, that was simply abuse.

Then a few days ago, you stated that death rates for motorcyclists was no greater than that for drivers in an accident, when a simple google enquiry on the subject showed motorcyclists are 600% more likely to die in an accident.

You never recant, never admit you are wrong and never apologise for very sarcastic posts even when shown to be wrong. Most posters on this site have accepted the change in policy from the Forum administrators to balance free speech with respectful posts, maybe you can follow their lead.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 29, 2023, 2:40 pm

It used to be a dictum of British Imperial policy to never admit that you are wrong. If you do, it sends the wrong message to those under colonial rule.

A absolute ruler of a certain country in the 1930s admitted that he did not know how to solve a certain economic issue. This is not a good thing for an all-knowing ruler to admit as it can lead to a coup, and the end of an absolute monarchy.

Why should should Khun Paul say he is wrong if he thinks he is right?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 29, 2023, 3:28 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 29, 2023, 2:40 pm

Why should should Khun Paul say he is wrong if he thinks he is right?
Answer, he shouldn't. What if he is dead set wrong, he has been many many times with reliable sources proving thus. Rather than admit it, he has so often continued abusing those that point this out?

The mods, to my best recollection, have never deleted or redacted his posts based on facts, it has always been on abuse of forum rules. Also, to the best of my recollection, only two posters have made subsequent posts complaining about the mods, KP being the most prolific in this regard.

For a long time, the mods had been very tolerant about personal abuse, over time, several posters used this tolerance to ratchet up their sarcasm, badgering, troll like behaviour etc until finally deciding to tighten moderation. Most users have accepted this. I would give back as good as I copped, but have toned back my rebuttals after moderation was tightened, respecting the wishes of the mods.

Some others have yet to accept those changes.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 29, 2023, 4:47 pm

Back on subject

expedite

verb | EK-spuh-dyte

What It Means

To expedite something is to speed up its process or progress. Expedite can also mean “to carry out promptly.”

To expedite the processing of your request, please include your account number on all documents.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 29, 2023, 7:35 pm

I'm always looking to improve my vocabulary, I usually have a dictionary (a printed, bound, paper dictionary, not electronic) by my side when I read. Anyway, I subscribe to some sites which send a new word every day. I'll put some here, perhaps others here would also like to broaden their vocabularies!

Today's word in my email:
Frowsty.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 29, 2023, 8:03 pm

ap·ple
noun
noun: apple; plural noun: apples; noun: apple tree; plural noun: apple trees

the round fruit of a tree of the rose family, which typically has thin red or green skin and crisp flesh. Many varieties have been developed as dessert or cooking fruit or for making cider.

"Little Johnny bought an apple to school every day for a week, because he was trying to please teacher".

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 29, 2023, 8:08 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 29, 2023, 8:03 pm
the round fruit of a tree of the rose family . . . .
Interesting, -- I didn't know that.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 29, 2023, 8:20 pm

Apple was already explained but I guess we can let it continue
Maybe choose another

apple

/ˈapl/
noun

the round fruit of a tree of the rose family, which typically has thin green or red skin and crisp flesh.
the tree bearing apples, with hard pale timber that is used in carpentry and to smoke food.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: British Colonialism and Its Policies

Post by Doodoo » April 29, 2023, 8:25 pm

dictum

dictum
/ˈdɪktəm/
noun

a formal pronouncement from an authoritative source:
"the dicta of High Court Judges"

Used here in a posting from UdonMap

Laan Yaa Mo wrote: ↑April 29, 2023, 2:40 pm
It used to be a dictum of British Imperial policy to never admit that you are wrong. If you do, it sends the wrong message to those under colonial rule.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 30, 2023, 10:34 am

Fuch·sia
/ˈfyo͞oSHə/
noun

a shrub with pendulous tubular flowers that are typically of two contrasting colors. They are native to America and New Zealand and are commonly grown as ornamentals.
a vivid purplish-red color like that of the sepals of a typical fuchsia flower.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 30, 2023, 5:00 pm

sinecure

noun | SYE-nih-kyoor

What It Means

Sinecure is a noun that refers to a usually paid job or position that requires little or no work.

an individual was in the habit of rewarding his loyal supporters with sinecures

Return to “Open Forum”