STUFF (Hopefully of Interest)

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: STUFF (Hopefully of Interest)

Post by Khun Paul » April 15, 2023, 6:57 am

Whistler wrote:
April 14, 2023, 7:54 pm
SCOTLAND'S INVENTIONS (Just a few)

The world has been revolutionised time and time again by great Scottish inventors, fuelled by their boundless imagination and inspired creativity. A passion for innovation in Scotland has advanced industry at home and overseas throughout history.

Television
Mammal cloning
Telephone (Scottish born Alexander Bell)
Penicillin (an Aussie learned how to mass manufacture)
Antiseptics
Beta Blockers
MRI Scanner
Refrigerator (shared with Australian)
The ATM
Fire stations
The first police force
Colour photography
Flushing toilet
Waterproof clothing (The Macintosh)
The Hypodermic needle
Fingerprinting
The Steam Engine (but not the steam whistle that was invented by some English village dude)
Vacuum Flask
chicken tikka masala
The fried mars bar (sorry, makes me ashamed)
The Pneumatic tyre
Tidal turbines

and

Wait for it

the finest musical instrument the world has ever seen..........bagpipes
Acually inventions nvented by Sorsmen not necesxsarily IN Scotland andthe FIRst Police Service was NOT in in Scotland but LONDON Aka Peelers by Sir Robert Peel unless you are talking about the Peelers. Facts are important when told correctly !!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 15, 2023, 7:40 am

Fact: The circulatory system is more than 60,000 miles long
If a child’s entire circulatory system—we’re talking veins, arteries, and capillaries—were laid out flat, it would stretch for more than 60,000 miles, according to the Franklin Institute. By the time we reach adulthood, our bodies have become home to approximately 100,000 miles of blood vessels.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 15, 2023, 8:25 am

The Philippines consists of 7,641 islands
The Philippines is an archipelago, which means it’s made up of a group of islands—7,641 islands, to be exact. That figure does not include the thousands of sandbars and other landforms that emerge during low tide.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 15, 2023, 6:45 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 15, 2023, 6:57 am
Whistler wrote:

The world has been revolutionised time and time again by great Scottish inventors, fuelled by their boundless imagination and inspired creativity. A passion for innovation in Scotland has advanced industry at home and overseas throughout history. ... The first police force ....
Acually inventions nvented by Sorsmen not necesxsarily IN Scotland andthe FIRst Police Service was NOT in in Scotland but LONDON Aka Peelers by Sir Robert Peel unless you are talking about the Peelers. Facts are important when told correctly !!
Indeed they are!

The first police force is generally accepted to have been in Egypt according to several sources.

From the Encyclopedia Britannica:
The first policing organization was created in Egypt in about 3000 BCE. The empire then was divided into 42 administrative jurisdictions; for each jurisdiction the pharaoh appointed an official who was responsible for justice and security. He was assisted by a chief of police, who bore the title sab heri seker, or “chief of the hitters” (a body of men responsible for tax collecting, among other duties).
This is confirmed by Conser, et al., Law Enforcement in the United States, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2005:
Ramses III (1198-1166 BC) invested the police with much authority in an effort to establish peace and security. He produced laws that dealt severely with criminals and punishment being awarded in public. The most important police units were those responsible for the security of the tombs, where valuables were placed with the dead. The Egyptians claim that they were the first to use dogs for police purposes, using them for guarding property. The police of ancient Egypt were also vested with judicial powers; they not only tried the cases, but they passed judgment and executed the sentences (Trojan 1986, 15).

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 16, 2023, 6:48 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 15, 2023, 6:45 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Whistler wrote:

The world has been revolutionised time and time again by great Scottish inventors, fuelled by their boundless imagination and inspired creativity. A passion for innovation in Scotland has advanced industry at home and overseas throughout history. ... The first police force ....
Indeed they are!

The first police force is generally accepted to have been in Egypt according to several sources.

From the Encyclopedia Britannica:
The first policing organization was created in Egypt in about 3000 BCE. The empire then was divided into 42 administrative jurisdictions; for each jurisdiction the pharaoh appointed an official who was responsible for justice and security. He was assisted by a chief of police, who bore the title sab heri seker, or “chief of the hitters” (a body of men responsible for tax collecting, among other duties).
This is confirmed by Conser, et al., Law Enforcement in the United States, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2005:
Ramses III (1198-1166 BC) invested the police with much authority in an effort to establish peace and security. He produced laws that dealt severely with criminals and punishment being awarded in public. The most important police units were those responsible for the security of the tombs, where valuables were placed with the dead. The Egyptians claim that they were the first to use dogs for police purposes, using them for guarding property. The police of ancient Egypt were also vested with judicial powers; they not only tried the cases, but they passed judgment and executed the sentences (Trojan 1986, 15).

The response I made was about the Police force in the Unttied Kingdom, no need for your comment which has nothing to do with the United kingdom, but then knowing your history no surprised .

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 16, 2023, 10:16 am

Dolphins
are known to be one of the smartest animals on the planet—possibly because they can conserve their brain power. Because they must be constantly on the lookout for predators, the marine mammals have developed a neat trick of maintaining partial consciousness even as part of their brain sleeps. Researchers have tested whether this "half sleep" negatively impacts the animals' alertness during the day, but have found that even after five days of having their nocturnal alertness constantly tested, they've remained as alert and perceptive as ever.

McDonald's
The first McDonald's Drive Thru was installed in a restaurant based in Sierra Vista, Arizona, located near the Fort Huachuca military installation. Military rules forbade the soldiers from wearing their military uniforms in public, and they weren't about to change into civilian clothes just to grab a burger and run back to base, so restaurant manager David Rich came up with a solution: cut a hole into the wall and allow members of the military to pick up their orders without stepping out of their car. The convenience and simplicity of the idea quickly caught on.

FRIDGES AND EFFICIENCY

An empty fridge not only makes it more difficult to decide what to snack on, it also wastes valuable energy. It works like this: the more empty space in the fridge, the more cold air is displaced by warm when you open the door, requiring the appliance to generate cool air to replace it. If the fridge is packed, less cool air escapes and less energy is required to replenish it. The writers at The Kitchn go so far as to advise fridge owners to fill empty bottles with water in order to displace the empty air

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 16, 2023, 11:47 am

Scotland's police.

Nice to see some lively debate, often the case in a 'who-was-first' discussion.

Egyptian police. Like almost every civilization, there were laws and there were those appointed to enforce those laws. Medieval Sheriffs are an example, but that is not quite the same as a modern police force that has a duty to protect and apprehend wrongdoers, but always subject to the law, and subject to courts. Egyptian 'police' as described by Udon Map, were a lot more than that. We have just experienced Easter where Jewish justice was enforced too, but I doubt many would equate this process to anything other than a religious tribunal backed up by soldiers.

The Peelers. Formed in 1829. Even the most cursory checking would make it obvious they have no claim to being the first modern police force, sorry KP, you are factually wrong.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... bert-Peel/

Glasgow police formed in 1800. I think the claim has merits.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/what-s-h ... ce%20force.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 16, 2023, 12:49 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
Whistler wrote:

The world has been revolutionised time and time again by great Scottish inventors, fuelled by their boundless imagination and inspired creativity. A passion for innovation in Scotland has advanced industry at home and overseas throughout history.

Television
Mammal cloning
Telephone (Scottish born Alexander Bell)
Penicillin (an Aussie learned how to mass manufacture)
Antiseptics
Beta Blockers
MRI Scanner
Refrigerator (shared with Australian)
The ATM
Fire stations
The first police force
Colour photography
Flushing toilet
Waterproof clothing (The Macintosh)
The Hypodermic needle
Fingerprinting
The Steam Engine (but not the steam whistle that was invented by some English village dude)
Vacuum Flask
chicken tikka masala
The fried mars bar (sorry, makes me ashamed)
The Pneumatic tyre
Tidal turbines

and

Wait for it

the finest musical instrument the world has ever seen..........bagpipes
Nitpicking about Scotsmen suddenly losing their nationality when they leave Scotlands shores. We both live in Thailand, but neither of us is a Thai. I have posted elsewhere where it is factually wrong to claim The Peelers were the first police force.

Bell was a British subject throughout his early life in Scotland and later in Canada until 1882 when he became a naturalized citizen of the United States. In 1915, he characterized his status as: "I am not one of those hyphenated Americans who claim allegiance to two countries."[141][page needed][142] Despite this declaration, Bell has been proudly claimed as a "native son" by all three countries he resided in: the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.[143]

https://www.google.com/search?q=alexand ... MFegQIchAC

James Harrison who won a prize as the inventor of the refrigerator was Scottish, he was never an Australian, never could be as He died 8 years before there was any such thing as an Australian, it only became a country Jan 1, 1901.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 16, 2023, 2:16 pm

The Warthog A-10 an amazing aircraft and its firing power cannot last long when the cannon is engaged.

The magazine can hold 1,350 rounds of ammunition. The pilot can select a firing rate of either 2,100 or 4,200 rounds a minute.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 16, 2023, 6:47 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 16, 2023, 6:48 am
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Whistler wrote:
SCOTLAND'S INVENTIONS (Just a few) . . . The first police force ....
... the FIRst Police Service was NOT in in Scotland but LONDON
The response I made was about the Police force in the Unttied Kingdom, no need for your comment which has nothing to do with the United kingdom, but then knowing your history no surprised.
That may have been what you meant, but it's not what you said. I don't read minds.

And either way, no need to be nasty.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 16, 2023, 7:58 pm

Udon Map wrote:
April 16, 2023, 6:47 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
April 16, 2023, 6:48 am
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Whistler wrote:
SCOTLAND'S INVENTIONS (Just a few) . . . The first police force ....
... the FIRst Police Service was NOT in in Scotland but LONDON
The response I made was about the Police force in the Unttied Kingdom, no need for your comment which has nothing to do with the United kingdom, but then knowing your history no surprised.
That may have been what you meant, but it's not what you said. I don't read minds.

And either way, no need to be nasty.
The Peelers are the third oldest police force in the UK. Not the first, I agree with your statement about getting facts correct by the way.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 9:50 am

China's first dynasty records police in 2557 B.C.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 18, 2023, 10:07 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 9:50 am
China's first dynasty records police in 2557 B.C.
I wouldn't mind betting there were those enforcing various laws in almost every civilization on earth.

Rome in 6 AD had police on the beat at night.

Peisistratus (605-527 BC), who was the ruler of Athens, has been called the father of formal policing.

Augustus Caesar (27 BC), who was the first emperor of Rome, was instrumental in creating what is now called the urban cohorts

etc, etc.

Scotland is credited as having the first Modern Police force whose mode of operation is still the same today as it was in 1800.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 18, 2023, 10:25 am

"Police force whose mode of operation is still the same today as it was in 1800."

Motorway police patrolling M74 in Scotland Apr 2023 using same mode of operation
scotpolice.png

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 18, 2023, 10:34 am

stattointhailand wrote:
April 18, 2023, 10:25 am
"Police force whose mode of operation is still the same today as it was in 1800."

Motorway police patrolling M74 in Scotland Apr 2023 using same mode of operation

scotpolice.png

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 18, 2023, 11:38 am

1) The average lifespan of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

2) Dueling is legal is Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

3) Every year 56,000,000 people attend major league baseball games.

4) At any given time, there are 1,800 thunderstorms in progress over the earth's atmosphere.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 18, 2023, 12:27 pm

"3) Every year 56,000,000 people attend major league baseball games."

That's in nearly 2,500 matches or only a pitiful 23000 a game

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 12:54 pm

They don't get many fans in some cities such as Oakland, Arizona, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh to watch games.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 18, 2023, 1:27 pm

2022 MLB Attendance

Oakland A's 9,973
The average attendance at Oakland Athletics games in Major League Baseball in 2022 was 9,973.

Tampa Bay 13,900

Pittsburgh 15,500

Arizona 19,800

Dismal for MLB being the one of the National Sports. I guess they spend more money on other activities Guns being one of them

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 3:12 pm

Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 1:27 pm
2022 MLB Attendance

Oakland A's 9,973
The average attendance at Oakland Athletics games in Major League Baseball in 2022 was 9,973.

Tampa Bay 13,900

Pittsburgh 15,500

Arizona 19,800

Dismal for MLB being the one of the National Sports. I guess they spend more money on other activities Guns being one of them
I am sure the NFL and top NCAA football schools do alright as far as fans go.

Attractions such as Disneyland and vacation travel probably account for a lot of dollars spent too. Paying for a university education would also account for a lot of money spent in the U.S,

Return to “Open Forum”