What Was Your Favourite Job?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

What Was Your Favourite Job?

Post by jackspratt » May 30, 2023, 7:31 pm

I picked this subject up from somewhere else, and thought it would be interesting given the number of old retired buggers - and others who perhaps should be, or will be shortly - on the Map, during your long and varied careers, which job did you enjoy the most.

For me, it was an enjoyable 14 years, long ago, with HMC.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: What Was Your Favourite Job?

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 30, 2023, 7:46 pm

Suppose you could call it freelance sales as In my younger crazier days for 2 years lived n worked on the Costa Del Sol followed by Gran Canaria selling time share .. in fact twas a mate n i who invented the time share scratch card gig ...every one a winner from a bottle of champers to a free condo ..but winners had to go to the complex to collect their prize and fight off the closers lurking there.. great money and memories of beaches booze n birds.

Close second .. i lived n worked on a cattle ranch in Monclova Mexico for almost a year .. that too was a fantastic experience.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 30, 2023, 8:16 pm

I am still on the candidates list as a Coronation day program seller, but I do not have to work if it rains.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 30, 2023, 8:19 pm

Producing the first Channel Tunnel Train timetable from scratch and trying to get the IT experts at the time to understand that a train could leave station one in UK at 09:00 BST and arrive at its next location (in France) at 08:30. I think I heard the word "non" from our French colleagues about a thousand times in 2 years. Ended up virtually ripping the whole South East Trains timetable to shreds to just get 4 pathways an hour down to and through the tunnel

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 31, 2023, 5:23 am

In the late 80's the American, based multinational, "Industrial Process Control" company I was working for hinted at closing their Australian operations. Seeing the writing on the wall my direct boss and I quit and started our own business in the same industry. Very hard first few years, both mortgaged to the hilt, but the business became very successful and provided us with a very comfortable life style. We sold it some 15 years ago but kept our factory and office complex which still provides a steady income - AND the partnership is still place and rock solid after about 35 years.

SHOULD have done it many years prior to doing so!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 31, 2023, 6:22 am

Planning for a new telephone cable to be provided to Beachy Head Lighthouse.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 31, 2023, 8:23 am

Merchant Navy then BP.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 31, 2023, 8:42 am

Good question. My first real job was working on the Trans-Canada Highway in the middle of nowhere in Newfoundland, and I was proud of that. However, I would say the favourite for me was teaching history at the University of Toronto and Ryerson University. I convinced the History Department at the U. of Toronto to introduce a course on the History of Hong Kong. Other courses I taught at those two Universities were: the HIstory of Ancient China, History of Modern China, the British Empire, and the History of Southeast Asia. I loved every minute of it.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » May 31, 2023, 9:55 am

Dairy farmer milking a herd of 300 Holstein Friesian cattle

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2023, 10:04 am

How many of your students do you think have improved their working lives by studying the History of Hong Kong? apart obviously from those who emigrated to Hong Kong to become history teachers :-k

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 31, 2023, 10:26 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 31, 2023, 10:04 am
How many of your students do you think have improved their working lives by studying the History of Hong Kong? apart obviously from those who emigrated to Hong Kong to become history teachers :-k
There were almost all from Hong Kong with some from Taiwan, Singapore and the mainland. The Hong Kong students, in particular, were happy to finally have an opportunity to learn about their homeland. Subsequently, some of these students became the biggest donors to the University of Toronto, and they weren't history teachers.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2023, 10:46 am

That makes far more sense :lol:

I had a vision of dozens of Canadian born & bred kids learning all about HK without any reason/desire to visit the place.

Good job you didnt teach American History, you'd have run out of topics after one term :-"

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 4, 2023, 12:47 pm

I spent a couple of years in the mid 90s working at the faculty of education at Khon Kaen University. I taught Engrish and ESL to undergraduate teachers and secondary school kids who attended the demonstration/satit school run by the faculty. Too bad it wasn't a living wage or I would have stayed.
I always enjoyed pulling beers behind the jump at my cricket club when I was a young fella. One for you, one for me. It was busy and a lot of fun on a Saturday night.
Watch Me!!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 4, 2023, 1:19 pm

'Lumber Jack*...My first job i held as only 16 years old.Alot of VERY hard work and some of my best work mates i ever had..and timber rafting..in the summer time.
https://youtu.be/J6Gt1BfzNRA

*Special security for different Embassy's and Ambassadors in Sweden tightly working with the Swedish Police force.

*A very special and local (the only one in Sweden)doing old style all handmade Thin Crisp Bread.Everything was special from the handmade tools we used to make it 1 millimeter thin bread to the special owens..16 hours work,all by hand and at the same time fulltime Business school for 1 year.

And now retired..sabai sabi ;-)...//Alfie :-)
Last edited by DuiDui49 on June 7, 2023, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 4, 2023, 2:55 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
June 4, 2023, 1:19 pm
'Lumber Jack*...My first job i held as only 16 years old.Alot of VERY hard work and some of my best work mates i ever had..and timber rafting..in the summer time.

*Special security for different Embassy's and Ambassadors in Sweden tightly working with the Swedish Police force.

*A very special and local (the only one in Sweden)doing old style all handmade Thin Crisp Bread.Everything was special from the handmade tools we used to make it 1 millimeter thin bread to the special owens..16 hours work,all by hand and at the same time fulltime Business school for 1 year.

And now retired..sabai sabi ;-)...//Alfie :-)
That's fascinating.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 4, 2023, 11:47 pm

Counting Fish, birds and Crocodiles in Australia.....

Return to “Open Forum”