Storing Auto for long term

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tawan3
udonmap.com

Storing Auto for long term

Post by tawan3 » September 10, 2007, 8:14 pm

Does anyone know if possible and how to do so of storing auto for long time? :?

so engine does not frozen and fuel pump not broken.

kevh
udonmap.com

Post by kevh » September 10, 2007, 8:59 pm

What kind of vehicle?
petrol or desiel?
and where are you storing it?
what climate?
also what do you call a long time?

for example petrol car left outside my house in thailand for 3 months while i'm away is fine when i get back.

kevh

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 10, 2007, 9:37 pm

Year 2000 Toyota Camry, Petrol, Garage
Year 2006 Toyota Corolla, Petrol, Garage
Year 2002 Ford Passenger Van, Petrol, Garage
Year 2000 Ford Commercial Cargo Van, Petrol, Garage

Climate is four seasons winter, summer, spring, fall, stored in USA.

Long time 2 - 3 years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

kevh
udonmap.com

Post by kevh » September 10, 2007, 9:47 pm

I would have thought that due to depreciation over the 2-3 years it would be better to sell them anyway,

but they should be fine except for a flat battery when you get back.

kev

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 10, 2007, 9:51 pm

They will be fine. OK Thank you. Just nervous not to have transportation when visit America. When I first arrived in America no car very impossible to survive here without it. :D

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 11, 2007, 12:44 am

Tawan, the longer you let them set the more problems one might incur with a lot of emphisis on might.

From another prospective, we left ours for 18 months while we checked out Thailand. Had we decided to stay sure we would have lost a small amount due to year later devaluation, however due to us actually coming back several times and now permanent, I am so glad we kept them. I had a store room of items also and I was glad I kept them.

NOt everyone had these experiences, and I am only relating ours.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 11, 2007, 4:18 am

should be fine stored in a garage, flat batterys for sure,might have deflated tyres, possibly seized brakes (hand brake) might take a while to start them after 3 years but they should fire up, put a dust cover over them and maybe disconnect the batterys, make sure anti freeze/summer coolant is present in the water system,and you could leave the hand brake off and put blocks behind and infront of the wheels.
and if they do start almost instantly after 3 years don't "Rev the Nuts" out of the engine as it won't have much oil round it.
will they be covered by insurance for all this time ?

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 11, 2007, 6:32 am

If you have fuel in the vehicles, it has chemically broken down by this time. You will probably need to replace any old fuel with new.

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 11, 2007, 8:36 am

I just turn in the tags so no insurance. They will be in garage so I have to check if home insurance covers also. I am following Khun Banpaeng only sell business not personal items do not want to stay in hotel when visiting America.

America is the best place in the world for shopping. Maybe check on things every 18 months better idea. :D

Thank you everyone :D

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » September 11, 2007, 9:16 am

If you have someone who can start the engines every month, and if automatic transmissions put them in gear, you will have cars that will not need anything other than fresh fuel and tire pressure checks.

The seals on automatic transmissions begin to shrink if they are not lubricated regularly and can crack with prolonged lack of lube. You may find that you will have tranny leaks if more than one year without use.

A thought on insurance. If you return to the US and have not had insurance continuously you will have sticker shock over the price. I had been in Thailand for 2 years and when I returned they wanted almost $1000 a month to insure my new car because I'd not had insurance recently. I added the car and my name to a relative's policy to escape this rip off. After a year I then transferred the insurance to my own policy at a reasonable price. I now keep my name on a relative's policy when I'm in Thailand. I suggest doing the same.

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 11, 2007, 9:26 am

I experienced the insurance policies also as a student it is very expensive when it has elapsed or never had. I keep just basic liability on the oldest car Camry not very expensive about $88 dollars per month.

All of the vehicles have taken depreciation or expenses over the years for tax purposes on Schedule C so no problem there.

So many details when moving country to country. :lol:

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 11, 2007, 9:28 am

You have handled the important items. Are you removing the batteries? They will be dead within a few months and probably won't take a charge after three years. They won't be reliable even if they did take a surface charge. I'd be inclined to ask friends if they could use a good used battery. Get the dead battery issue behind you. You'll need all new batteries when you return.

If I had the initiative I'd jack up the vehicles and use wood 4''x4''s to relieve the tires from carring the weight for three years. If a tire went flat it wouldn't have a rim on it for months, possible damaging it. And when you use the cars you won't have that bumpy ride with that flat spot until it regains its original shape.

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 11, 2007, 1:24 pm

Talking about storage vs selling. Here is a picture of a Toyota that I bought from Gene Hackman (American Actor) perfect condition. I totaled the car on the way to school. I still miss that car. :(

Update - Mechanic said groundskeeper can drive cars in driveway once a week to save seals. :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 11, 2007, 2:46 pm

tawan3 wrote: Update - Mechanic said groundskeeper can drive cars in driveway once a week to save seals. :D
What a positive attitude.

I'm too cynical to trust one car, much less four, to anyone to "drive them in the driveway" for three years. [-X

That gives access to the garage, the cars, and garage contents to an unknown number of people. Your insurance agent said you're covered, right?

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » September 11, 2007, 3:38 pm

Insurance covers contents.
Sorry not clear. He has been working for me for 7 years. I can not kick him out now very loyal. Also he is the only one that knows how to drive the tractor.

After so many years of running business in town the Police know me very well. It is a small College town. :D

Return to “Open Forum”