info needed on living in udon thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
waltpong
udonmap.com

info needed on living in udon thailand

Post by waltpong » March 20, 2008, 12:45 pm

i am planning on retirering in 3 years and plan on staying in udon thani, i use to work in the control tower at udon in 1973 with the air force, i need to know what/ how medical emergency are covered as a civilian who has private ins and one who is retired from the military any info please , walt from muskegon mi.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Re: info needed on living in udon thailand

Post by papaguido » March 20, 2008, 1:31 pm

waltpong wrote:i am planning on retirering in 3 years and plan on staying in udon thani, i use to work in the control tower at udon in 1973 with the air force, i need to know what/ how medical emergency are covered as a civilian who has private ins and one who is retired from the military any info please , walt from muskegon mi.
Walt,

I retired a year ago from USMC. I have TRICARE Standard "Overseas". My deductible is $300 annually per family ($150 individual). I pay up front for medical services and submit a claim for reimbursement. It's Co-share, so TRICARE pays 75% and I absorb the remaining 25%. The turn around, depending on post, is between 4-6 weeks.

If you're 65 or older you may qualify for TRICARE for Life. No annual enrollment fee, but you must pay into Medicare part B to enroll. Also the deductible & co-share is the same as above. More info here:

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/home/Medical/Costs

* Although to be eligible for TRICARE for Life you are required to pay into Medicare Part B, be advised that Medicare is not covered in Thailand.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 20, 2008, 8:32 pm

i need to know what/ how medical emergency are covered
don't know a thing about ins or cost/deduct, but if medical emergency means availability of high tech emergency/trama treatment.....................well, if i had any real issues, i wouldn't live in udon. i'm in bkk now, simply for annual med exam, all inclusive, though have and will do procedures in udon, but even my physicals are much better and cheaper in bangkok. i use camillian hospital, thonglor 55, very good and lots of smiles. 8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 21, 2008, 7:04 am

Walt,

Here's link that will give you some idea of what TRICARE will cover.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/home/M ... overed.jsp?

BTW, there's no dental plan provided by TRICARE for beneficiaries living overseas.

Also, you may want to contact a member from the VFW here, they may have additional info.

http://members.tripod.com/vfw10249/index.htm

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » March 21, 2008, 11:46 pm

Hi Walt,

My Father in-law is the VFW commander here in Udon so if you need info on Vet befits John is the man to talk to. Drop me a PM and I'll send you his e-mail.

Return to “Open Forum”