Songkran

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Songkran

Post by BKKSTAN » March 29, 2008, 5:49 pm

Gov't makes April 12-16 as the official Songkran holiday!

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » March 29, 2008, 5:55 pm

WORD สงกรานต์ ( สง-กราน- )

PRONUNCIATION sŏng-graan

MEANING [ N ] Songkran festival ; Songkran Day ; Thai New Year

Remember, be a good spelling Bee :lol:

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 30, 2008, 8:40 am

I've always found it more that an eerie coincidence that the Thai word for
war, battle สงคราม song-gram is almost identical to the new year
term สงกรานต์ song-kran . it's a little spooky isn't it?

If you want to have a little fun, try purposefully over-emphasizing the "M"
when you pronounce song-gram referencing the new year and watch Thais
wave their hands and shake their heads in protest at it's incorrectness.

it's a war, there will be no mercy. ask for no quarter and give none either :razz:

actually, in udon they probably do keep with the spirit of the thing. in
pattaya it's one soggy entire week and the fun has subsided long
before the week is over. anything goes unfortunately. no refuge.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 30, 2008, 9:58 am

Same same in Udon, that,s why I go every where in the Pickup during songkran and always look both ways before I get out and make a run for it. The worst sound you will ever hear is some kid screaming " falang falang falang " :mad: :mad:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 30, 2008, 10:15 am

It is funny how the different areas react to falangs.Maybe that is why Nong Khai is so comfortable for me!

Even during Songkran,falangs are not the focus!We find that the people are really focused on wetting and powdering locals that they either know or people that interact with them for wetting and powdering!

When driving amongst the cars ,we find a minimum of attention paid to us and except for a few young spirited funseekers,we are shown a sense of respect! :D

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » March 30, 2008, 10:29 am

Aardvark wrote:Same same in Udon, that,s why I go every where in the Pickup during songkran and always look both ways before I get out and make a run for it. The worst sound you will ever hear is some kid screaming " falang falang falang " :mad: :mad:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 30, 2008, 5:48 pm

i try my best not to be here for it. think udon is the worst place it is celebrated. if here, i hibernate. one, two days of fun, fine, 10, not thank you.

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » March 30, 2008, 9:05 pm

LA wrote: " I think udon is the worst place it is celebrated"

Really?

I thought Pattaya was the worst place to be during this popular holiday, unless you like this kind of activity.

In Pattaya, it lasts over a week with a climax in south Pattaya and north Pattaya in a knock down drag out water party (War) on the 19th and 20th respectively.

So am I to assume that riding my motorcycle into town for breakfast is a bad idea in Udon during Songkron?

Sorry to ask these questions, but it will be my first Songkron in Udon Thani.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 30, 2008, 9:23 pm

riding my motorcycle into town for breakfast is a bad idea in Udon during Songkron?
that's where my hatred for it started. it is obvious you are returning from market, say, big c, with you marked bads, wallet, phone in pocket with money of course. not only is water thrown on you, but usually stopped, and drenched along with all possessions. of course this doesn't happen once, but up to 5 times, depending on your distance travelled. there in no cosideration for anyone, their possessions or their safety.

dirty water, from only buddha knows where, ice in water, sometimes a nice heat releaver, but when thrown at you and vehicle from a bucket. drivng down open road, 50-90 kms an hour on motorbike, when hit with bucket of water, hopefully no ice.

it is and can be a fun day....................day...............not 10 with total disreguard who you are throwning water on. feel especially sorry for the women, as sure every opportunity is given for a free sexual attack, oops, i'm sorry, putting some powder on you.

never been to pattaya for it. phuket yes, drove thru patong area, active, very, but didn't leave vehicle. returned to karon beach, joined in the festivities, fun day, nobody gettng wet that didin't want to. very nice day. next day, it was over, a one day affair. surprised the hell out of me. same with chumphom beach area, hua hin, and every other place i have celebrated it. a fun respectful day of water tossing. here, a drunken 10 day fest of inconsiderate arsssssss.

motorbike riding is definitely out, and 'zip loc bags' ara mandatory.

enjoy.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » March 30, 2008, 10:16 pm

I with ISSAN_NISSAN as this is my first Sonkran and you said 10 DAYS? I though it was only 3 days long. Great I have to do a visa run on or before Apr. 18 :?

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » March 31, 2008, 12:19 am

My very 1st trip to Thailand about 3 years ago, ventured down to Phuket
not quite grasping the full meaning of songkran fever. staying on soi nanai
and watching the kids playing water out front of the hotel. old scandanavian
guy comes putting by on his little motorbike (i mean he was 65+) and these
7-10 year old kids sling a bucket of water in his face, he went right off the
road and into a concrete retaining wall. started screaming bloody murder
(i think mostly from the pain) and all the little ones scampered away.

that first weekend 12-13-14 is the official dates but then every other place has
their own special day which extends it and basically makes it open season the entire time. it does just get to be too much after the first few days. :oops:

Hages
udonmap.com

Post by Hages » March 31, 2008, 4:46 am

I've been in Udon for the last 3 Songkrans and they all lasted just the 4 days, certainly nowhere near 10 days.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » March 31, 2008, 9:25 am

Chiang Mai is one of the best/worse place for Songkran (depending on how you look at it) it's non-stop and drags out long after the 'official' holiday. For some reason many Thai's travel to CM for Songkran. An equal number seem to leave!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 31, 2008, 9:27 am

Three years ago I was unfortunate enough to spend Songkran in Jomtien.For the first couple of days it was fun,even bought water pistols ourselves,but this lasts for a week and spending every day soaked to the skin can be a little wearing! :(
Also they should stop when it goes dark but doesnt always happen.
I remember on the 7th day of this we got a tuk tuk into Pattaya at 9pm at night.
We were ambushed in South Pattaya.....freezing cold buckets of water.
And,of course,the restaurant where we were meeting up with friends was air-conditioned.....great :(
Riding a motorbike at this time is a definite no-no.They just hurl the water at you...very dangerous....many accidents.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » April 3, 2008, 12:53 pm

As the horror looms closer, it's time to examine strategies for surviving the weekend/week. Pattaya's official day is supposed to be the 18th-19th. It would almost appear if I stayed here for the first weekend, and then left for Udon during the middle of the week, I could actually skip songkran altogether. I know, it's like saying you want to skip christmas. Sacriligious, bordering on some kind of devil
worship, but I've been hatching this plan in my evil lair for several days now. :razz:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 3, 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm thinking of packing some supplies and heading to the Erawan caves and hiding out there for a few days. I'll leave a ransom note on the bed and throw some furniture about to make it look like a struggle... Will return unshaven, disheveled and smelly on 17th... Wonder if 'er indoors will notice!

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » April 3, 2008, 2:07 pm

speaking of war.Does anyone recall the number of dead and injured last year in Thailand. I think 500 dead and 15000 to hospital.Think open heart surgery in farangistan looks likea better option.

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » April 3, 2008, 2:09 pm

I mean dead and injured just during songkran

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » April 3, 2008, 2:35 pm

I don't remember how many died last year, but I seem to remember 5 major bus crashes on the highways as everyone heads home starting around the 10th.

Lets hope the bus drivers slow down a little and refrain from using the "go fast" pills that they love so much.

Remember the bus stations and train stations will be very busy prior to and after the holiday.

Oh and don't forget all the BiB traffic check points. :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 3, 2008, 2:48 pm

Irish Alan wrote:I'm thinking of packing some supplies and heading to the Erawan caves and hiding out there for a few days.
Good idea, I might join you! :D

I usually tell people I'll be staying at home in the hong nahm. :D

Return to “Open Forum”