Opening a bank account

noosard
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by noosard » November 25, 2021, 8:21 am

Yesterday I went to the Bangkok bank in Phorsi Rd to open an account
Not busy in the afternoon
First bank worker says I have to see someone else
This bank worker tells me I need a letter from Immigration to be able to open an account
I say bs
So go to central branch where the staff were helpful
Photocopy passport for id and visa
Drivers license for address
Set up phone for banking
All done in 30 minutes
Just a few trees destroyed for all the paper work

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Opening a bank account

Post by Doodoo » November 25, 2021, 8:43 am

In the first bank did you have a full mask or helemt on when asking to open account???
Maybe this was the reason for refusal

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 25, 2021, 9:20 am

Some years ago a Friend of mine retired and moved over here. The Siam Commercial Bank refused to allow him to open an account. I took him to immigration on Jomtien soi 5 and told a helpful officer the problem. The officer took a piece of scrap paper and wrote a message in Thai. He told us to give it to the bank. We did that and 20 minutes later he had an ATM card and an account. I have no idea what the note said but it certainly lit a fire under the bank employees.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 25, 2021, 10:15 am

Regrettably it’s a completely common occurrence at any branch of any bank. SCB is no worse than any other, no better either. One branch/official will refuse you for any of a number of fallacious reasons, telling you that it’s impossible to open an account with their bank. Go to a different branch of the bank, no problem, take an important customer in with you, no problem, no supporting paperwork needed.

TIT YMWV
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 25, 2021, 11:49 am

What's the best bet Kasikorn branch in Oodorn to open a new account?

Recent experiences ONLY.

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 25, 2021, 11:54 am

tamada wrote:
November 25, 2021, 11:49 am
What's the best bet Kasikorn branch in Oodorn to open a new account?

Recent experiences ONLY.

Ta
tam
Most recent account opening at the one closest to immigration. Though that has little meaning.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 27, 2022, 2:50 pm

Doing some maintenance on my Bangkok Bank bualuang online presence that I started when I lived in Pattaya ages ago. I needed to update the home address and contact email. This requires one to download a form, fill in the necessary bits and submit at the nearest branch with requisite ID. Dropped by the Big C branch and after signing a couple of copies of passport and bank book, the lady said it would take 5 days but give it a week. An sms will notify me when it's done.

While there, I asked about opening a new account at that branch. She checked my visa (Ret Ext) and said I can but I also need to get a letter from immigration specifically for bank account opening. Anyone else heard of such a letter being available at Udon immigration and if they needed one for opening an account recently? Just re-read the thread and see noos managed at their Central branch without this letter.

Another question regards corresponding banks. I was also updating my NatWest International online banking (their iBanking service shuts down in March). Setting up international bank transfers via their app requires a transfer first be initiated via their regular online banking (that now supports international transfers). They claim not to have a corresponding bank in Thailand. Since my monthly transfers from NW now take over 24-hours (used to be same day, only a few hours last year), I wonder who they are using as their intermediary bank here in Thailand.

Maybe I need to 'wise' up?

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » January 27, 2022, 4:23 pm

I have successfully opened 3 Thai bank accounts over the years. 1 SCB 2 Kasikorn. Friendly English speaking staff in both. No problems and all 3 are online now, also given advice and help.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 27, 2022, 5:24 pm

Over the years there have been any number of complaints from members about the Bangkok Bank. Did you not do some research and chose a MUCH better alternative?
Ya gotta wunda!!! IMHO - The worst bank in Thailand from ALL directions :evil: .
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 27, 2022, 5:31 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 27, 2022, 5:24 pm
Over the years there have been any number of complaints from members about the Bangkok Bank. Did you not do some research and chose a MUCH better alternative?
Ya gotta wunda!!! IMHO - The worst bank in Thailand from ALL directions
I've been with them over 15 years. Beyond the more recent inbound funds transfers taking an extra 12 hours or so, I am not complaining. They opened the account for me while I was on a visa-exempt entry, got the online bit turned on at the same time and they never mentioned insurance either.

YMMV
TiT
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » January 27, 2022, 5:55 pm

Only my experience but currently my wife has accounts with Kasikorn (10 years) and SCB (4 years) and I have an account with SCB (4 years).

We use the Kasikorn account to cover all direct debit payments (or whatever the term in Thailand is for these) for the house. Electric & Water. Apart from the fact it took 3 months to set up the DD payments which meant we got discounted while out of the country!! it has been working fine for past 5 years plus.
I use the app for checking the balance and have used it before to top up phone accounts. Is easy to use.

For SCB it was a pain in the rear to open as I got the run around (however BKK bank and Kasikorn both just said no) so I kept at it to get all the asked for documents, including blue house book (which yes the person at the time insisted on). At the time I had a Imm Non-O visa (I think).

I use the app a lot and is easy to use and so far never had a problem (touch wood).

A friend who works in BKK, insists the SCB are the worst bank in the world. So results certainly do vary!

Oh onto BKK Bank, I think the wife still has an old account with them, but the card got swallowed in an ATM in Bangkok many moons ago. We went into the branch and they said the only way to get a new one was to go to Nong Han branch! She withdrew all her money there and then and never bothered to get a new card. (All 4,000 baht!)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » January 28, 2022, 6:13 am

I opened a BKK bank account this week.

Presently have account with Krungthai but recent developments with Wise transfers prompted me to look elsewhere.

BKK asked if I had yellow book. I dont have an up to date one so was told I needed a letter from Immigration as highlighted by Tamada.

Letter issued (photo needed) and returned to bank to complete paperwork. Took about an hour including some fairly irrelevant questions and half hour of them trying to sell insurance.

I dont qualify for internet banking as I am only on a Tourist Visa at present. This will (hopefully) be rectified in March when I return to the UK for a short stint. They asked me to return then and they will set up online for me.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 28, 2022, 1:03 pm

Yup, I needed a letter from Immigration (200bt) for BKKBK Centra...had to tow the missus along, even though we had photocopied housebook, Thai ID..etc..They were most helpful, no insurance forced on me at that branch, unless I guess you are on a Touristy visage

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 1, 2022, 9:42 am

I live in Jomtien and tried to open an account at the SCB in Jomtien. They refused to open an account for me. I went from there to Pattaya SCB on Beach Road. No problem there. It does depend on what branch you use. My friend was able to open his account in Jomtien with the help from immigration.

Since then, I moved upcountry and had no problem opening a SCB account here. I eventually closed the Pattaya account.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 1, 2022, 9:46 am

Bangkok bank at Central opened an account for me last month
Only needed passport phone and drivers license which shows address
The one on Phorsi Rd near IMO demanded letter from IMO

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 17, 2022, 7:27 pm

I opened a new account today, same bank as the last 2 times (Krungsri). Last time was a nightmare - took 4 trips, a guarantor and about 2 hours. That was using the central mall branch, never been back there as they were just incompetent *****. This time, a bit better, only took 2 trips. First trip, nearly successful, very helpful bank person, tried hard to do it, but needed 3 forms of identification and i had only 2 (i do not have a yellow book). Gave me options, and returned today with one of them ... different staff member, Would not accept the 3rd item (Marriage Certificate) but would accept wife and ID card. So called the wife and waited. The girl did start processing the application, about 25 pieces of paper to sign!
Required items in this case were -
1. Passport with long term visa (took a while to explain about extensions, she was a bit confused).
2. Thai driving licence ( photo ID and address)
3. Wife and Thai ID card.

My fallback option would have been the immigration letter. Anyway, have new account (good interest rate, up to 1.1%), ATM card (no attempt to sell insurance) and passbook. Success!

Every time a different story.......

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2022, 9:16 pm

rick wrote:
March 17, 2022, 7:27 pm

My fallback option would have been the immigration letter. Anyway, have new account (good interest rate, up to 1.1%), ATM card (no attempt to sell insurance) and passbook. Success!

Every time a different story.......
Just for reference the Krungsri Savings Mee Tae Dai Deposit is only 1.10 Up to Baht 100,000
More than Baht 100,000 and up to Baht 2 million It is at 0.90%
That is for accounts opened in person
If you can do it online the interest rates are higher.

Personally I don’t have an ATM card for Krungsri as it’s my holding account for immigration (4 year time deposit) and monthly expenses Mee Tae Dai. Also we use the branch near immigration, apart from the usual bank waiting times, no problem with opening the accounts, I also have my Thai tax ID registered with them so don’t pay tax. That was a little more of a challenge.

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”