Cashless Society on its Way?

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Re: Cashless Society on its Way?

Post by Mjkt » September 2, 2020, 4:14 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 31, 2020, 9:50 am
eventually no cash, guess who can track your where abouts, your spending habits (They can now unless you use cash)
You can always try crypto currencies if you are worried about tracking! :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 2, 2020, 4:30 pm

as pointed out, unlikely to happen here with a significant portion of the economy "off the books." Too much business going on with cash at the lower to middle levels of society here to force a cashless system on them. How would the BiB ensure traffic fines were paid?
Dave

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 2, 2020, 4:51 pm

Asia driving global mobile payments, with eight in top 10 markets

https://www.zdnet.com/article/asia-driv ... 0-markets/

[attachment=0]cash.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
cash.jpg

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » September 25, 2020, 3:24 am

Post by papafarang » September 1, 2020, 10:36 pm
A strange thought , as children can't have bank accounts how would you give them pocket money ?

Asked my daughter about this, and it turns out that my granddaughter (11 years old) has a card ! - loaded by my daughter each week with her pocket money, so it's pre paid, and cannot over spend - yup, cash (in the UK anyway), is on it's way out :(

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 25, 2020, 8:07 am

DMs cashless society tip.of the day ...

Get yer missus to set up on phone banking from.her account then when you go out to a restaurant at bill.time .. oops forgot yer wallet .. henceforth the missus will.not want to loose face and do a bank transfer there n then thus saving the money ..

I tried it worked and ive still.got the black eye n split lip.to prove it .

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 6, 2022, 2:32 pm

I've been increasingly doing SCB scanpay for just about everything except fresh market purchases. Makro/Tesco/KFC/Swensons/Pizza Hut/Villa/Tops/Homepro/Global/Dose/Jingjai Market/Uncle Mustaches Lahb/MK/Flash Delivery/PTT along with a handful of less than 200 Baht purchases here and there. Yes, the first few times doing the scans probably took more time than it would have to pay cash.......but now I'm a pinball wizard. No more pocketful of change! The lady who took her sweet time to pay by check (dinosaur daze) has been replaced by the lady who hunts for exact change in the bowels of her purse. She'll be extinct soon enough.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 6, 2022, 2:55 pm

Another bit of childhood ruined ......

When I was a kid I saved a penny or two from each weeks pocket money, knowing that when I had got 2 bobs worth (24d)my dad would exchange it for a nice shiny half crown (30d) which I then went and deposited in my Trustee Savings Bank account. Must have spent hours counting and recounting my pennies (and checking for any rare dates)

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » March 6, 2022, 3:23 pm

Childhood was destroyed when same sex parenting and same sex adoptions were permitted, only TWO genders , biological FACT.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2022, 4:16 am

joudon wrote:
March 6, 2022, 3:23 pm
Childhood was destroyed when same sex parenting and same sex adoptions were permitted, only TWO genders , biological FACT.
Your homophobia is duly noted but the thread's about the inexorable shift to paperless financial transactions in day to day life.

My observations at check outs in Oodorn is that the locals are hugely into the benefits of the various scan-and-pay methods. Before Covid, payment by card was rarely seen but nowadays, use of plastic seems about the same but online banking payment has totally flipped on cash payment.

I wasn't paying too much attention yesterday at the express lane but the bloke in front of me didn't appear to scan anything beyond giving his mobile number (Big C membership registration?) and that was that. Maybe Big C's membership goes beyond just earning points or discounts and there's a POS payment method registered within it? Maybe he gave a PIN as well? I'm not a member although Mrs tam is which is something I only learned last week when we went shopping together, a very infrequent event. However, she's old school like me and paid cash.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 7, 2022, 8:42 am

Any predictions on when Makro will learn of this cashless revolution, and take a mighty leap into the 21st century?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 7, 2022, 8:51 am

I've been using scanpay at Makro for a few months. As there's usually a short line at Makro, that gives me time to have the photo of my makro card on my phone ready......and as my card is being scanned, I have my SCB app at the ready. I doubt I could pay any faster with cash.....it's like everything.....just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 7, 2022, 9:00 am

I micro-manage my monthly budget the old-fashioned way by withdrawing a set amount of Baht each month from the bank and dividing it up into envelopes for fixed expenses and weekly expenditures. The weekly amount goes into my wallet each Wednesday morning. By paying with cash as I go, I can see exactly what is left in my wallet to last me the week, and if by chance I run out before Wednesday, then tough luck....I don't spend any more for that week. It works extremely well and I never go over my budget except for the occasional unexpected expense.

In my mind this scan and pay scheme is no different than using a debit card to run to the ATM machine every time you run out of money. It's nearly impossible to run a monthly budget that way. For those of you who have so much money that you don't need to budget, then more power to you.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 7, 2022, 9:41 am

parrot wrote:
March 7, 2022, 8:51 am
I've been using scanpay at Makro for a few months. As there's usually a short line at Makro, that gives me time to have the photo of my makro card on my phone ready......and as my card is being scanned, I have my SCB app at the ready. I doubt I could pay any faster with cash.....it's like everything.....just takes a few times to get the hang of it.
I can't remember ever seeing a Point of Sale terminal at the Makro checkouts - although I generally only ever utilise the "10(?) items or less" queue.

I will have a closer look on my next (infrequent) visit. I have also asked a couple of times about paying by card, with a resulting shake of the head.

You must time your shopping well, John. Every time I go there, the queue is seemingly miles long, and very few shoppers seem to have "10 items or less". :D

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”