Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

Post by stereolab » May 9, 2022, 8:22 pm

CPI in The UK next September may be around 7-9%, so those of us with Military pensions should see a nice uplift.

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Note re frozen pensions for retired Brits or Brits approaching retirement age

Post by rick » May 10, 2022, 12:09 am

Tbey will scrap the trjple lock if it is that high ..

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 10, 2022, 7:09 am

The problem is that any increase impacts on the consolidated earnings for income tax, so a rise is nice but also comes with a rise in Income tax, which upsets me.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 10, 2022, 7:38 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 10, 2022, 7:09 am
The problem is that any increase impacts on the consolidated earnings for income tax, so a rise is nice but also comes with a rise in Income tax, which upsets me.
Cannot have your cake and eat it (God, I hate that saying) KP. Would love to have all income in UK after retirement come as tax free but Hell will freeze over before that happens. I just feel that ALL State Pension recipients should be treated equally, especially as it is acknowledged that the State Pension is such a pitiful sum equal to about a third of the minimum wage. We Brits are not as bad as the Aussies for instance where I believe that if you live outside of the Country you get Nada, zero, nothing (stand to be corrected on that one)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 10, 2022, 8:15 am

Stand corrected, Alex.

There are plenty of Aussies living here, and elsewhere, who get the old age or other pension.

The hurdle is qualifying for it, in that you must be resident in Oz at the time you are entitled to receive it, and remain for a further 2 years After that, it is portable.

https://nationalseniors.com.au/uploads/ ... bility.pdf

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 10, 2022, 10:34 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 10, 2022, 8:15 am
Stand corrected, Alex.

There are plenty of Aussies living here, and elsewhere, who get the old age or other pension.

The hurdle is qualifying for it, in that you must be resident in Oz at the time you are entitled to receive it, and remain for a further 2 years After that, it is portable.

OK, cheers for that. Just an Aussie mate who is just 56 yo living close to us, gripes like **** about having to go back to qualify for his pension. Still a crap situation, if you are married and have kids with a local having to upsticks the whole family for two years or have to bugger off and just visit occasionally??

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 10, 2022, 2:42 pm

Just got this years company pension increases, net after tax about 23 GBP a month. Oh well, need another hole made on my belt!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 10, 2022, 6:15 pm

Maybe have to look at those frogs in a different light soon Rick. Same as field mice.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 10, 2022, 7:09 pm

I am fishing in my pond for dinner...... and still have some carrots and beetroot left. Have to put in some effort to wet season vegetable growing, usually soil to wet but i do have a dry area under a roof and lots of pots.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 12, 2022, 8:54 pm

This is the reply from UK Gov I received today and my response while wanting to rip out their jugular.
Please
In real English explain this statement.

UK expenditure on health care costs depends on where the UK pensioner settles. While the location may be decided by the pensioner, individual countries have their own immigration policies in relation to older economically inactive people. Paying uprating to UK pension recipients in countries where it is not currently paid would mean an immediate "increase in costs". 'No poo Sherlock'

"older economically inactive people". ( so that's what us old yins are now called) So you do not count the tax and VAT I pay on my private pensions or activity that my expenditure on any service in the UK is 'economically inactive??' I put no pressure on the Health Care system so why is this an issue Please explain in simple layman's terms.
Regards

PS
Will not be holding my breath, Crooks and charlatans the whole lot.
They make some Southern Hemisphere UM members seem intelligent

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 12, 2022, 9:46 pm

This was my reply!

Petitions: UK Government and Parliament <[email protected]> Unsubscribe
Wed, May 11, 8:42 AM (1 day ago)
to me

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Give U.K. pensioners living abroad increases with parity as those in the U.K.”.

To unsubscribe from getting emails about this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/signatur ... Z068t-dLL6

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Give U.K. pensioners living abroad increases with parity as those in the U.K.”.

Government responded:

There are no plans to change the policy. The Government continues to up-rate the State Pension where there is a legal requirement to do so.

The UK Government has no plans to change the current arrangements for payment of UK State Pension overseas.

The United Kingdom’s state pension system is primarily designed for the benefit of those who are resident in the UK. It is, however, payable worldwide and is uprated in the UK and also in countries abroad where there is a legal requirement to do so. This is a longstanding policy and has been implemented by successive Governments of all political persuasions for over 70 years. The policy has been the subject of Parliamentary debates over time and has been approved by Parliament and the Courts.

The rate of National Insurance contributions paid has never earned entitlement to the uprating of pensions payable abroad. This reflects the fact that the UK scheme is primarily designed for those living in the UK. The National Insurance scheme operates on a “pay-as-you-go” basis. Contributions paid into the National Insurance Fund in any year finance contributory benefit expenditure in the same year. A person’s contributions provide a foundation for calculating their future benefit entitlement but do not actually pay for those benefits.

UK expenditure on health care costs depends on where the UK pensioner settles. While the location may be decided by the pensioner, individual countries have their own immigration policies in relation to older economically inactive people. Paying uprating to UK pension recipients in countries where it is not currently paid would mean an immediate increase in costs.

There are now around 1.2 million UK State Pension recipients who are overseas residents and around 0.5 million of them do not receive increases. It would cost over £0.6bn extra a year to up-rate these pensions fully, that is to pay the pension at the rate that would be applicable if the pensioner had lived in the UK throughout. Paying future increases only would cost tens of millions in the short term but would lead to the cost of full uprating (£0.6bn) in the longer term as older pensioners died and new pensioners became entitled to fully up-rated state pensions.

Cost has always been a factor in deciding whether pension increases should be paid in overseas countries and successive governments have taken the view that it would be unfair to impose an additional burden on contributors and taxpayers in the UK to fund increased pensions for those who have chosen to live abroad. The Government concurs with that position. Ultimately, there is a choice for the individual to make where to live, and what the consequences are should that choice be somewhere other than the UK. The rules on uprating the State Pension are clear and well publicised. So the choice to migrate or not remains a choice for the individual. UK State Pensions paid to people living outside the UK also go to people who migrated for economic or other reasons well before they reached pension age.

Department for Work and Pensions

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... sponse=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 13, 2022, 10:59 am

There is NO Hope of getting this Inept U.K. Government having a debate on " Frozen " Ex-Pat Pensions as 1st of all NOT Enough Pensioners have signed the petition ATM & It's Not looking likely that enough will....2, The U.K Government are a Shower Of W***ERS & Couldn't give a TOSS About Us Overseas, as long as THEY are lining their own pockets like only Last Week Those DOZY B*****ds in The House of Lords gave themselves a 2,200 Pound Bonus for Falling Asleep more easily....which it seems quite easy to do anyway.....

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 13, 2022, 8:15 pm

As to be 'unaffordable' UK government expenditure rose by 282.7 billion GBP in the last financial year, so 0.6 billion extra would be an extra 0.22% of the budget increase. They do not care.

You should plan to spend 6 months in the UK every few years, then your pension will be permanently uprated.

Nowhere can i find any proof that the government knows how many days you spent in the UK for pension purposes

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 13, 2022, 9:35 pm

747man wrote:
May 13, 2022, 10:59 am
There is NO Hope of getting this Inept U.K. Government having a debate on " Frozen " Ex-Pat Pensions as 1st of all NOT Enough Pensioners have signed the petition ATM & It's Not looking likely that enough will....2, The U.K Government are a Shower Of W***ERS & Couldn't give a TOSS About Us Overseas, as long as THEY are lining their own pockets like only Last Week Those DOZY B*****ds in The House of Lords gave themselves a 2,200 Pound Bonus for Falling Asleep more easily....which it seems quite easy to do anyway.....
Not only this one Lilac.
PS
How's the relegation battle going.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 3:53 am

rick wrote:
May 13, 2022, 8:15 pm
... Nowhere can i find any proof that the government knows how many days you spent in the UK for pension purposes
In NZ I know the NZ Inland Revenue holds and uses the dates people enter and leave the country. I imagine our department dishing out welfare and pensions is the same. Government computer systems are getting very sophisticated these days. Data is easily exchanged.

One of the many lessons from Covid is that those who choose to live abroad rank well down a government's list of priorities. They've perhaps fallen even further down the list?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 4:27 am

AlexO wrote:
May 10, 2022, 10:34 am
jackspratt wrote:
May 10, 2022, 8:15 am
Stand corrected, Alex.

OK, cheers for that. Just an Aussie mate who is just 56 yo living close to us, gripes like **** about having to go back to qualify for his pension. Still a crap situation, if you are married and have kids with a local having to upsticks the whole family for two years or have to bugger off and just visit occasionally??
The Australian government also needs to consider the interests of Australian taxpayers and the interests of others in Australia who might merit taxpayer assistance. As a NZ taxpayer I don't want my government dishing out money to every elderly Kiwi living abroad. I do recognize a NZer say retiring back home to the Pacific Islands might save our health system a lot of money and the government needs to consider this.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 14, 2022, 6:57 am

choi choi wrote:
May 12, 2022, 9:46 pm
... It is, however, payable worldwide and is uprated in the UK and also in countries abroad where there is a legal requirement to do so. ...
The legal requirement is where ‘bilateral agreements’ or ‘reciprocal agreements’ are in place with regard to pensions.

The EEA countries:

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden

NB: Switzerland is arbitrarily lumped in with the EEA Group.

Countries with reciprocal or bilateral social security protocols.

Barbados
Bermuda
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Gibraltar
Guernsey
the Isle of Man
Israel
Jamaica
Jersey
Kosovo
Mauritius
Montenegro
North Macedonia
the Philippines
Serbia
Turkey
USA

NB: The UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but these two are arbitrarily lumped in with nations like Thailand where you cannot get the increases.

So old Brits need to lobby their local Thai MP to support a petition for the Thai government to formally address the need for a reciprocal/bilateral social security agreement with the UK.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » May 14, 2022, 9:08 am

I'll be claiming state pension next year, been searching the government web and other sites, I cannot find anything that says I need to prove I live or spend X amount of time in the UK. A family member in the UK claimed last year, nothing asked about the time spent in the UK.

Do the pensions department run background checks looking for things like utility bills, council tax etc, anyone know. I maintain a UK address, bank account etc and have employment and private pensions paid in the UK, probably all they'll find.

I'm wondering if they'll only stop increases if I tell them I'm overseas, and or request pension paid overseas.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 14, 2022, 9:24 am

Chriss wrote:
May 14, 2022, 9:08 am
I'll be claiming state pension next year, been searching the government web and other sites, I cannot find anything that says I need to prove I live or spend X amount of time in the UK. A family member in the UK claimed last year, nothing asked about the time spent in the UK.

Do the pensions department run background checks looking for things like utility bills, council tax etc, anyone know. I maintain a UK address, bank account etc and have employment and private pensions paid in the UK, probably all they'll find.

I'm wondering if they'll only stop increases if I tell them I'm overseas, and or request pension paid overseas.
No they do NOT but ALL state agencies have full access to many programmes including those who have left the country and possible locations. Once you scan your Passport on leaving, they will know you are no longer in the country. Years ago that was not the case, nowadays all computor systems are integrated from PNC to Home Office to Immigration . Plus ALL financial institutions have a duty to declare status of account holders. For example you declare Non domicile status to avoid Income Tax, everyone will know you are NOT in the country.

Trying to fool the Dept of Pensions, would be very counter-productive and costly even for wealthy people .Best advice tell the truth . They have the legal ability to recoup any fraudulent payments at source

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » May 14, 2022, 9:45 am

KP, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll find out next year but it will be nice to be prepared.

So it's not a case of being a resident of a country outside the list, more the fact that you are outside the UK and countries on the list, where you are or your status there they don't care about. After all I'm only a long term tourist here. And somewhere in the archives of UK immigration for all departments to see it'll show I left the UK in 2011...

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”