Holy Mary School

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9934
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Holy Mary School

Post by parrot » November 10, 2016, 6:55 pm

On one of our ever-more-infrequent trips to Nongkai, I noticed a new building off the left hand side of the hwy (heading toward Nongkai) in NaKa. It's called Holy Mary School.....looks to be quite new, large, and when you consider the lack of traffic going that way as opposed to other schools in Udon, 15ish KM wouldn't be that bad. I haven't seen anything on the forum about the school.......here's their website
http://www.hmus.ac.th/gallery.html



hairyharry
udonmap.com
Posts: 230
Joined: December 29, 2009, 7:45 am

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by hairyharry » November 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

My kids went to a Montessori franchise for 2 days a week from 3 years old. One is now a doctor working in a cancer ward, the other has been awarded the prize for the top student at his university and has won 3 scholarships. Easy to understand why I am a full believer in the methodology they use. If I had a youngster I wouldn't hesitate.

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2275
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Brian Davis » November 11, 2016, 4:53 am

I visited there a few weeks back. A tentative interest for my 5 year old. Incidentally, no connection, I understand, to the St. Mary's Girls School in Udon itself.
Smart building, of course everything new and shining! Children, not too many at present, all occupied in well-equipped classrooms. Quite a contrast to a local school. Spoke to the Director(her title?) with lots of questions and I was impressed, although I'm not sharp enough to argue for/against the methodology. Small point perhaps, but didn't notice any green, outside space. Some construction still in hand at rear - not sure what.
Even though from Phen, not the longer haul into Udon to/from daily, I still have a reluctance to have a young child spend a fair amount of time travelling and it would probably involve the commitment of myself/wife driving. I'll be happier when he's older.

User avatar
rick
udonmap.com
Posts: 2702
Joined: January 9, 2008, 10:36 am
Location: Udon, or UK May-August

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by rick » November 12, 2016, 4:48 pm

Any idea about fees?

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2275
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Brian Davis » November 12, 2016, 6:45 pm

My wife and I are in slight disagreement over whether it was 25,000 or 28,000 baht per semester/term.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10133
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by tamada » November 13, 2016, 12:05 pm

Brian Davis wrote:My wife and I are in slight disagreement over whether it was 25,000 or 28,000 baht per semester/term.
Is it a 2 or 3 term school year?

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2275
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Brian Davis » November 13, 2016, 4:45 pm

Fairly certain it follows the pattern of Thai schools i.e, 2 per year - and closes for the usual Thai holidays.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 10133
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by tamada » December 13, 2016, 8:40 pm

Brian Davis wrote:I visited there a few weeks back. A tentative interest for my 5 year old. Incidentally, no connection, I understand, to the St. Mary's Girls School in Udon itself.
Smart building, of course everything new and shining! Children, not too many at present, all occupied in well-equipped classrooms. Quite a contrast to a local school. Spoke to the Director(her title?) with lots of questions and I was impressed, although I'm not sharp enough to argue for/against the methodology. Small point perhaps, but didn't notice any green, outside space. Some construction still in hand at rear - not sure what.
Even though from Phen, not the longer haul into Udon to/from daily, I still have a reluctance to have a young child spend a fair amount of time travelling and it would probably involve the commitment of myself/wife driving. I'll be happier when he's older.
Any other thoughts on Holy Mary? My wife called them and confirmed that they have what would be Primary 4 next year. We may be relocating back to Udon next March and I have a soon-to-be 9 year-old lad who is happy and doing quite well at BEST (Burapha) down here in Pattaya after a bit of a false start at Mooltripakdee International. HM's fees are about 5000 baht less/term from what I am paying at BEST right now so no arguments there.

User avatar
deankham
udonmap.com
Posts: 660
Joined: March 17, 2008, 5:24 am
Location: Alseep under the tree

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by deankham » May 22, 2018, 6:23 pm

Any recent updates or experiences on this school?

Am interested for my 8 year old who is fluent in English but very basic in Thai (as she has only lived in Thailand for 6 months). Unfortunately she doesn't seem to be learning anything at the current school and despite what we were told the English program she is in seems almost non-existent.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

tammakhun
udonmap.com
Posts: 124
Joined: November 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by tammakhun » May 22, 2018, 6:44 pm

My son age 7 is fluent speaking both languages and reads English near his grade level, though can only recognize letters and simple words reading Thai. He tested less than a month ago for entrance to this school and was denied entry. I was told he needed to be able to do more than just read single Thai words, that he needs to be able to read paragraphs. Lady testing him said best advise was to teach him at home everyday and test again in a year or two after he is caught up. This is my experience with a lot of schools here. This kids need to learn at home or private tutor once too far behind.

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 569
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Chuchi » May 23, 2018, 11:07 am

Brian Davis wrote:
November 11, 2016, 4:53 am
I visited there a few weeks back. A tentative interest for my 5 year old. Incidentally, no connection, I understand, to the St. Mary's Girls School in Udon itself.
Smart building, of course everything new and shining! Children, not too many at present, all occupied in well-equipped classrooms. Quite a contrast to a local school. Spoke to the Director(her title?) with lots of questions and I was impressed, although I'm not sharp enough to argue for/against the methodology. Small point perhaps, but didn't notice any green, outside space. Some construction still in hand at rear - not sure what.
Even though from Phen, not the longer haul into Udon to/from daily, I still have a reluctance to have a young child spend a fair amount of time travelling and it would probably involve the commitment of myself/wife driving. I'll be happier when he's older.
Don’t shoot the messenger but regarding open space was told a few days ago by a female labourer(make of it what you will) at the site that the 5 rai of land behind the playground/slides was to become a swimming pool and Sports track.

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2275
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Brian Davis » May 23, 2018, 11:39 am

I really hope the labourer and the messenger are correct. A pool with proper swimming instruction would be great. Personally, I like to see kids 'letting off steam' by running about, kicking a ball etc., as well as the academic side. I appreciate, sport isn't to everyone's taste or ability. Sorry! - but by the look of some of the children at my son's present school, some exercise ( and diet - ice creams at 8 am doesn't seem very clever) wouldn't be wasted.

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 569
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Chuchi » May 23, 2018, 11:47 am

Brian Davis wrote:
May 23, 2018, 11:39 am
I really hope the labourer and the messenger are correct. A pool with proper swimming instruction would be great. Personally, I like to see kids 'letting off steam' by running about, kicking a ball etc., as well as the academic side. I appreciate, sport isn't to everyone's taste or ability. Sorry! - but by the look of some of the children at my son's present school, some exercise ( and diet - ice creams at 8 am doesn't seem very clever) wouldn't be wasted.
Totally agree, I personally never liked school much ,but the knowing that I would be kicking a ball around every break time with me mates was enough of an incentive to go

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9934
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by parrot » May 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

We've never been to Pattana Panya School in Udon, but see my comments in this link from Dec 2014.
pattanapanya-school-udon-thani-t10521.html

We've met that girl (now 10) and her family on numerous occasions. The girl has told us on a several occasions about how she helps foreign classmates with Thai and they help her with her English. On one of the school's websites it's apparent that a variety of foreign children attend that school.
Will they accept a foreign student with limited Thai? You might want to give them a call.

User avatar
deankham
udonmap.com
Posts: 660
Joined: March 17, 2008, 5:24 am
Location: Alseep under the tree

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by deankham » May 23, 2018, 6:04 pm

Thanks Parrot. When we chose my daughters current school (Apaptchara school), we visited Pattana Panya at the same time. I did like the look of it and there was no real reason over the choice we took on selecting Apaptchara, apart from a slightly more convincing explanation from the Head Teacher on how good the English program was (which is not the case!)


I think we will visit again. I'm feeling guilty about all these changes of school but at the moment don't see another option.

gprit
udonmap.com
Posts: 155
Joined: December 24, 2012, 6:32 pm
Location: Udon Thani/France
Contact:

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by gprit » May 25, 2018, 3:04 am

I am very surprised at the post by tammakhun. We are in Thailand for one year and have a son who is now (just) 5 but started in Holy Mary School last November (when he was 4). The Head Teacher gave him some co-ordination tests (eg playing with farm animals) but at no stage was his complete lack of Thai an issue.
Teaching is in English with Thai secondary. He has been very happy there and thrives in an environment where they teach but also let him explore and think.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this school. I think the fees are now around 35,000 baht per 4 month term, plus uniform and plus about 3,000 for books.

Chuchi
udonmap.com
Posts: 569
Joined: April 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Chuchi » May 25, 2018, 9:47 am

gprit wrote:
May 25, 2018, 3:04 am
I am very surprised at the post by tammakhun. We are in Thailand for one year and have a son who is now (just) 5 but started in Holy Mary School last November (when he was 4). The Head Teacher gave him some co-ordination tests (eg playing with farm animals) but at no stage was his complete lack of Thai an issue.
Teaching is in English with Thai secondary. He has been very happy there and thrives in an environment where they teach but also let him explore and think.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this school. I think the fees are now around 35,000 baht per 4 month term, plus uniform and plus about 3,000 for books.
gprit wrote:
May 25, 2018, 3:04 am
I am very surprised at the post by tammakhun. We are in Thailand for one year and have a son who is now (just) 5 but started in Holy Mary School last November (when he was 4). The Head Teacher gave him some co-ordination tests (eg playing with farm animals) but at no stage was his complete lack of Thai an issue.
Teaching is in English with Thai secondary. He has been very happy there and thrives in an environment where they teach but also let him explore and think.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this school. I think the fees are now around 35,000 baht per 4 month term, plus uniform and plus about 3,000 for books.
I’m glad you posted it’s the same experience/test I had for my child,tammakhuns post was the reason I felt I wasn’t able to respond confidently to Deankams post,so if you’re reading this Dean I would definitely put a visit to Holy Mary at the top of your list

mac1966
udonmap.com
Posts: 282
Joined: May 28, 2012, 5:59 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by mac1966 » May 17, 2021, 8:19 pm

Any updates on this old thread. Thinking about looking at this place for our kids. Anyone with first hand experience on education and costs. Cheers

86Tiger
udonmap.com
Posts: 61
Joined: April 2, 2016, 4:45 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by 86Tiger » June 22, 2021, 2:56 pm

Back to the top.


Interested in any recent experience as well.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 3795
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Holy Mary School

Post by Doodoo » June 22, 2021, 3:23 pm

Holy Mary
Our Daughter has been there for 4 years. Great progress and maintining her grades. We originally went there due to her progress in English which I want pleased with. Holy Mary is one of the schools that teaches using Phonics. Class sizes are very acceptable . Her last school she had 42 students in the class and to me was unacceptable. Her present class has less than 30 Facilities are clean and maintained.
Total round trip time is 40 minutes from Udon.

Post Reply

Return to “Education/Schools”