Pattanapanya School Udon Thani

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 11, 2008, 1:37 pm

We would like to welcome Pattanapanya School to udonmap.com.

Pattanapanya School offers an alternative way of educating young minds preparing them as role models in our society. This school is a private primary school in a bi-lingual setting. Pattanapanya School considers everyone as a part of a big family.
Each one plays an essential role in the school's humble community. You are welcome to visit and see the family inside Pattanapanya School.
pattana-panya.jpg
Article written By Doug Quist (Udon Magazine Guide Issue 6)

We are Family

In this issue, Udon Guide looks at an alternative school which recently opened and is located within the friendly confines of Udonthani – Pattanapanya School., at ถนนพรมประกาย ซอยพรมประกาย 3/ Phlumpraguy Road Soi Phlumpraguy 3 off the larger road Srichoomchoon, We feature this school as part of a continuing effort to keep our readership up to date on the ever-changing landscape and increasing diversity here in Udonthani, and the northeast, our quiet corner of the Kingdom.

There's a school in Udonthani with a new message. It opened in April of last year and it promises to provide our community with its first bi-lingual alternative school. Let's take a look at this "Family".

PPS is a private primary school, classified as a Bi-lingual education institute fully licensed and sanctioned by the Thai Ministry of Education. They teach English, but this is not a foreign language institute or an "AUA for kids." Classes are offered in English and Thai. Thai subjects are taught in Thai by Thai teachers and English subjects in English by foreign teachers. The goal of the bi-lingual education model is to put the students in an English speaking environment while at the same time not ignoring the need to develop their academic and language skills in Thai. When students are learning English, the language is new and they cannot be expected to learn everything in a second language. Therefore, subjects such as history/social studies, health, and scouting and of course Thai are offered in Thai language. Math and science are offered in both English and Thai and courses such as conversation, phonics, storytelling and general English in English.

We recently visited Pattanapanya School so we could see first-hand if this school is in reality different from the other private primary or language schools in the area. We found Pattanapanya School offers a true educational alternative for primary students. The school operates in a less structured environment and since there is currently a small student population, the student to teacher ratio is very low. The first advantage is that teachers truly know their students, not only in name, but as people. In this environment the children go around the school quite freely and this enables learning via discovery and hands-on (there are also monthly field trips). To walk through the school and observe the students in this free form style may be a bit shocking to some parents as they might suspect the school lacks discipline. However, when students are actively learning a new language, a freer environment is most welcome; they shouldn't be restricted by older standards and practices which call for the young learners to be sitting passively in a classroom like good children with their hands folded on the desk waiting for the teacher to direct the next lesson. Learning a new language requires new techniques and strategies. The PPS setting provides opportunities for students to use English spontaneously; an element so often missing from conventional classrooms.

The school has five Thai and five foreign teachers (Western, Philippines, China) and the student population is not comprised of Thai children exclusively. This is a population you probably may not find at any other school in Udon. Pattanapanya School director and founder, Mr. Danuch Tanterdtid explained the school was NOT simply conceived as a marketing scheme to grab the farang dollars moving into Udon. Instead the aim was to create and maintain an educational facility that promotes the development of English in an environment in which the students can learn English in a manner more effective than language schools or traditional private schools offer ( 3- 5, 50-minute periods of English per week). Pattanapanya School offers about 15 hours of English instruction inside the classroom each week. Because some students have origins in countries other than Thailand and there are five young foreign teachers at the school, the use of English spreads beyond the classroom and into the lunch room at recess periods and throughout the corridors: hence an extended English environment. In such an environment English lives and there is no need for "English Police" disguised as teachers to patrol the classrooms demanding students - SPEAK ENGLISH!

Mr. Tanterdtid was quick to emphasize that the school operates under the Thai Ministry of Education and a Thai curriculum is adhered to. The school fully prepares the student for citizenship in Thailand while employing a superior method of advancing English; so it is defined as a bi-lingual school. He also reminded me that the student to teacher ratio will not continue at the present of level of 2:1; however, the school is committed to never have more than 25 students in one class. Is this high or low? Interested parents should do an independent check of other schools in the area, both public and private and SEE, (not ASK) for themselves. Currently Pattanapanya School operates grades 1 and 2. As per the requirements of the Thai Education Ministry, all licensed primary schools must offer grades 1-6 and PPS will grow into all of these grades as they mature and add students. They expect to offer more grade levels for the next academic year. They can also accommodate students (via a course of preparation) who do not yet qualify for first grade.

Pattanapanya School follows the Thai school calendar. They offer educational opportunities outside of the academic school year as well. You can learn more about this school and take a tour by calling them during their regular hours of operation.

I was compelled to ask Director Danuch: Are the children who attend your school customers or students??? He was very quick to answer: FAMILY. He was proud to inform me how close the students are with the staff. He instinctively pulled out a photo album (albums usually put me to sleep). I was impressed by the student birthday parties and field trips around Udon where students experience Isaarn and northeastern culture hands-on. Kuhn Danuch again reminded me that the school's mission is not only to teach English, but to prepare and educate future Thai citizens.

A Brief History

Pattanapanya School was four years in the making. The school was planned as a logical "next step beyond" the traditional language and private schools in the area. The school is owned and operated by UTEC (a long running local language school) so it is well supported in its formative years. There is no worry that management must fill the school with warm bodies in order to meet expenses. The school can develop, grow and add more students at a healthy pace and not be forced to compromise its standards or face the threat of closure from financial ruin.

Try Us On For Size

Pattanapanya School opened in April of 2007 and is flourishing as it matures. Another unique feature of this school is that parents are offered the opportunity to "Try the school on." You can arrange for your child to attend a free trial period which usually runs for one school week. Director Danuch intimated to me that the down-side parents see when they visit the school is the lack of a sports facilites and the school's small size. However, he was quick to point out that there are so many other academic advantages to the school that parents should think about their priorities when considering a child's education and future. He pointed to the student to teacher ratio in the classroom and the student to computer ratio in the Computer lab. I was reminded that a school's small size is more of an asset than a deficit. Also when considering the pocketbook issue: here is a school with a small student to teacher ratio, but the term's fee is competitive with other private schools in the area. See for yourself.

Come on over

You are invited to have a look and check out the "family" at Pattanapanya School. Here is an alternative education institution thriving here in our community. Maybe it's what you have been looking for or perhaps it is not your cup of tea. We at Udon Guide want to provide you with the choices and alternatives in out community. Now that it is the beginning of a new school term here in Thailand, this is a great time to look at your child's daily learning habits and overall progress while taking a critical look at your child's current learning situation. Are you happy? How well do you know your child as a student?

stoneman
udonmap.com

Re: Pattana Panya School [Sponsor]

Post by stoneman » October 13, 2008, 11:47 am

We moved to Udon Thani from BKK in June of this year and one of our real concerns was finding a school for our 5 year old son...Through a posting on Udonmap, we found this school...After spending several hours at the school with the teachers and administration and several days looking at other schools, we decided this was the best place for our son...He loves it there...He is up every morning and gets ready for school with a smile on his face...

small classes and a GREAT staff...Wonderful combination...

Stoneman

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 17, 2008, 9:44 am

What age groups are accepted?

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » October 18, 2008, 10:37 am

BKKSTAN wrote:What age groups are accepted?
BKKStan..

Not sure what it will be this year...They had only the first 2 grades last year, but may have more this year...Our son really enjoys it and a great staff at a reasonable price..

George

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » March 1, 2009, 4:46 pm

Bkkstan

Could you tell me if the school accepts Pre school. My lad will be two this june and could you tell me what sort of costs are involved for 12 months?

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » March 1, 2009, 7:41 pm

macduff wrote:
Bkkstan

Could you tell me if the school accepts Pre school. My lad will be two this june and could you tell me what sort of costs are involved for 12 months?
Our son started to school there when he was 4 years old...I am not sure about 2 yr olds...I would suggest giving them a call..

As to the cost ..It is about 9,000 baht per semester for tution amd 4,500 baht for the lunch program...Add a little to that for uniforms, etc...

Really a GREAT school....Our son loves it and the teachers really care about each student...As they say...It is like a big family...and it truly is..

Stoneman

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » March 2, 2009, 8:09 pm

macduff wrote:
Bkkstan

I checked with the school this morning when we dropped our son off...They do accept 2 year olds...They have school tomorrow, Tuesday and then there is vacation for about a month and then the new term starts,,,

Stoneman

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » March 3, 2009, 12:20 am

stoneman wrote:
macduff wrote:
Bkkstan

I checked with the school this morning when we dropped our son off...They do accept 2 year olds...They have school tomorrow, Tuesday and then there is vacation for about a month and then the new term starts,,,

Stoneman
Thanks stoneman i appreciate you asking for us.I've read the info on this school and i'm more than happy to send my lad there at some point.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Re: Pattana Panya School Udon Thani

Post by Aardvark » January 2, 2010, 6:46 am

An Interesting Article on Education in Thailand......http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/12 ... 119503.php

Jobe

Post by Jobe » February 12, 2010, 11:22 am

Hi,

Does anyone have the email address for Pattana Panya school?

Thanks, Jobe

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » February 13, 2010, 12:26 pm

[email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected], [email protected]

Jobe..

This is a good school..Our son has been there 2 years and we love it...Great Staff

Stoneman

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » March 4, 2010, 10:05 am

Does this school have a website?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 26, 2014, 2:58 pm

I see this school is still on the list of Udonmap sponsors......so.......here's some feedback:
Today, while near Nongsim, I found a gift-wrapping shop and popped in (first time there). The husband/wife owners examined my 3 items for wrapping....and out comes a young girl.......neither the mother or father say anything to her....but she quickly asks me in virtually perfect street-talk English: "How many gifts do you want wrapped?"....at which point I realized the girl had great language skills. So I 'played' with her while her parents did their gift wrapping duties. The mother and father could speak passable English, so it became apparent to me that this girl had a great teacher somewhere. First I asked her age....guessing 10. She said 6 and a half. "Say that again, please?".......6 and a half. She's a first grader at Pattana Panya School.....couldn't say enough good things about her teachers and her classmates (22 or 23 in her class) and, while English is her favorite subject, she said she loved all her subjects.
She described in great detail a speech competition she participated in at St Mary's......her nervousness (she said 'excitement')....and her joy at coming in second place.
Before I left, I asked if she liked to read.......she said 'of course' and brought out a full English version of famous fairy tales (not the comic book version). I asked what her favorite was.....she said 'Cinderella'.....and I asked her to read page 1 for me. While the words may have been slightly different from the version at http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resourc ... rella1.htm, they were no easier. At an age when most kids are just learning to read simple (very simple) sentences, this girl read like a pro.....even pausing just right at commas and periods.
Maybe this girl is a one-off......a brilliant girl born with an English vocabulary already built in........but I'm guessing her ability is more likely the result of good (brilliant) teachers that have taught her......not just how to speak and read and write...but to be absolutely excited about the English language as well.
That's my 2 baht worth.....I've never been to the school, never met a teacher from that school, and own no stock in the company.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » December 26, 2014, 6:55 pm

Our son has been going there for 5 years and we love it...

marti feldman

Post by marti feldman » September 15, 2015, 8:40 am

My kids have been going to the school for almost 2 years now and to be honest I think the school is expensive and has safety issues I'd like to see resolved.
I have asked how many, if any, teachers have first aid training and I never got a definite answer, just the usual Thai smile !
Also I know my kids have never done a fire drill, there seems to be a lack of fire extinguishers in the school and I can't see any alarm system. The classrooms have bars on the windows so that closes one escape route.
You have to buy the school uniform from the school and it seems to be about 3 times the price of a similar state school uniform.
The school holidays in April last a lot longer than state schools but the school doesn't close ! You are invited to pay extra money 900 Baht per week per child if you would like to send them which just seems like another way to get money from the parents.
They started confiscating sugary drinks and snacks from the kids as they entered school a few months ago which I thought was a very good idea along with the fact that they brush their teeth at school every day but recently the school has set up a table selling all this type of stuff and the kids have to pass the table on their way home after school ,just before their evening meal !
On the plus side the kids seem happy at the school .

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 15, 2015, 9:44 am

On the plus side
The school hours are longer per day than state schools
next year as state schools are shortening the schooling hours as well
State schools also seem to have a lot of student free days (today for an example)
My stepson has picked up a lot of English both written and oral in just 1 term ( grade 3)
His actual writing has improved a lot as well
I don't know how good the Chinesse program is but the 2 kids do know some

Negative side
Not impressed with the standard of so called English exercise books
Some questions don't make sense or are very badly written
Yes the uniforms are expensive
As for the lolly lady my kids don't get money to take to school

marti feldman

Post by marti feldman » September 18, 2015, 9:47 am

Another rather annoying thing is that having 2 kids in the school in different years, although I have to pay the same term fees for both children one child has been told the term is now ended and the other has another 2 weeks to go which makes things a bit difficult at home, but the class isn't closed we can pay 900 Baht per week to send the one who's term has ended. Another way to get money from the parents !
I don't buy anything from the lady selling sweets to the kids either but it's the principal of it, confiscating sweets from the kids on their way into school saying it's not good for them then selling it to them on their way home !

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 18, 2015, 11:58 am

Got the same thing going on
4 year old has finished
8 year old has tests next week
Which they have to reschedule for him as 2 days can not go
As I have to go Lao for a visa
Surely the school should be able to produce a yearly calendar

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: Pattanapanya School Udon Thani

Post by deankham » November 20, 2016, 3:04 pm

Does anyone have an idea of the latest fees and what age the school teaches up to?

Also does the terms run on the Thai system or to the British system (like UD International School does).

Can't find a website for the school so guessing it doesn't have one, but if anyone knows different please share a link.
Edit; just found the website
http://www.pattanapanyaschool.ac.th/new/index.php/en/

Hopeful that will answer some of the questions I asked.

Thanks.

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Pattanapanya School Udon Thani

Post by mak » November 21, 2016, 11:27 am

Approx. 28k baht per term, 2 terms per year. M3 is the highest grade they have now. However they plan on adding M4 next year and each subsequent year another grade. The terms run on the Thai system.

Return to “Education/Schools”