Thai Red Cross.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Thai Red Cross.

Post by Old Grumpy » November 12, 2019, 6:32 am

Yesterday the NWS branch continued its help the local aged and poor campaign visiting local people that although needing help never complain but are brought to their attention by the village head.
74294574_2697588460301887_4266698495567593472_n.jpg
75341130_2697589190301814_1360897418945626112_n.jpg
Just two examples, there are many more needing your help. You have your chance to contribute on the 1st December when the annual Red Cross Fair opens at Tungsri muang. This year it has been extended to a 12 day festival in the hope that proportionally more money will be raised to further their work .
Look at these pictures and think "Instead of being envious of those that have more than us, instead be thankful,because many more have less ."
Last edited by Old Grumpy on November 12, 2019, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Red Cross.

Post by Old Grumpy » November 12, 2019, 6:38 am

Just thought I should mention, both families gave permission for the photos to be used in hope that it may lead to others getting help so desperately needed .
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 12, 2019, 8:25 am

While I applaud the Thai Red Cross for their good endeavours in helping to improve the help and assistance to those who needxc it most and in the past I have given to them. I cannot understand their cut-off point for Blood Donations. I amnow considered too old to donate, although my mother donated well into her 80's, here at 70 you are too old.
They need blood especially the O negative, ( Universal Blood Donor) but every time I offer they turn me down .

So a big thumbs up to their efforts but a huge negative on Blood Donation criteria.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 12, 2019, 8:47 am

Khun Paul wrote:
November 12, 2019, 8:25 am
While I applaud the Thai Red Cross for their good endeavours in helping to improve the help and assistance to those who needxc it most and in the past I have given to them. I cannot understand their cut-off point for Blood Donations. I amnow considered too old to donate, although my mother donated well into her 80's, here at 70 you are too old.
They need blood especially the O negative, ( Universal Blood Donor) but every time I offer they turn me down .

So a big thumbs up to their efforts but a huge negative on Blood Donation criteria.
Is the cutoff age 70? And where is the donation centre in Udon or KK?
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 12, 2019, 6:23 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
November 12, 2019, 8:25 am

So a big thumbs up to their efforts but a huge negative on Blood Donation crite
Perhaps I could explain KP. It has been proven that older people, over 70, take longer to replenish the blood taken rather than those younger, during this period the donor is more likely to suffer fainting fits, which in a 20 year old might be 20 minutes but in a 70+ exceeds an hour .This is a risk they are not prepared to take under normal circumstances but would in a high emergency situation, but would require the donor being hospitalised for a few hours .
To answer the where to donate question. The blood collection unit is a mobile operation that visits all amphoes on a regular 3 monthly schedule. If you are unable to find out from your local amphoe office please PM me where you live and I will be pleased find the dates for you.
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Thankyou for your information regarding fainting with blood donations by the elderly, which never happened to my recollection to my mother or for that matter any of her friends of a simi9lar age. A rest place was provided after the donation with sugared tea/coffee and biscuits provided to assist everyone donating.
Considering that the red Cross have problems getting donations because as one Dr told me, Thais will donate to help their own families but other people not really liked.

Considering this and the fact that some blood groups are rare here, you would think that EVERY effort would be made and latitude given to enable the Red Cross to collect blood from older people who lets face it, have more time to donate than others as well as older farangs who probably have given like me, blood since I was legally allowed to.

Their rules and regulations do not allow them to utilise the vast potential available and nearly every year we see pleas for blood to assist others. Their policy to Blood Collection is outdated and possibly harmful to the population, including the vast numbers of tourists that Thailand depends on.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 13, 2019, 6:33 am

You are an argumentative old copper KP, aren't you? The information about the Thai Red Cross blood collection policy was given to me by the qualified doctor that accompanies the mobile collection clinic. I know whose opinion I would prefer to believe between an ageing ex copper and a qualified GP.However don't just take my word for it read the attached from the UK NHS from which it would seem you are ineligible not only from your advanced age but also your weight. https://www.blood.co.uk/who-can-give-blood/.
To my knowledge the Thai Red Cross doesn't have a weight policy as such but you might get refused if obviously over weight. :-"
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 13, 2019, 6:58 am

Khun Paul wrote:
November 13, 2019, 6:04 am

Considering that the red Cross have problems getting donations because as one Dr told me, Thais will donate to help their own families but other people not really liked.

[/quote
It's obvious from many of your posts on here and the other apparently now defunct forum that you have a superior attitude to our Thai hosts so I would just like to show you how wrong you are.
21557589_1573334172727327_7144658460230500081_n.jpg
21557589_1573334172727327_7144658460230500081_n.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 8750 times
This photo was taken at the last donation setting at the comparatively small village of Nong Wai in the Non Wau So province. The stats reveal nearly 200 people of all eligible ages donated blood, and despite the best efforts of the Red Cross volunteers, some had to wait 2 hours in the queue. At this time 12 people received special certificate of honour for making their 30th donation .
Rather puts your above comment into the extremely stupid category, doesn't it?
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2019, 7:14 am

Among the many restrictions to donating blood in Australia they also have the additional restriction, in bold font, below for donating blood that refers to Brits or people who resided in Britian for 6 moths or more during the below years as per the below details. Here is the full website link for Australia,

https://www.donateblood.com.au/eligibility#

Does Thailand have similar strict restrictions??

Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) – I can’t give blood as I lived in the UK for six months between 1980-1996. When will I be able to donate?

The Blood Service currently can’t take blood donations from people who lived in the UK for six months or more from 1980–1996.
This is related to the fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD, the human form of the bovine condition sometimes known as ‘mad cow disease’):

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 13, 2019, 7:33 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
November 12, 2019, 6:23 pm

To answer the where to donate question. The blood collection unit is a mobile operation that visits all amphoes on a regular 3 monthly schedule. If you are unable to find out from your local amphoe office please PM me where you live and I will be pleased find the dates for you.
I find is quite unusual that there is not a donation centre outside Bangkok as well as the mobile collection service. I was a longtime plasma donor with a reasonable number of donations and on the register for platelets. Neither of the machines used for plasma or platelets are mobile and I assume that THAILAND also has a collection for that & with the use of plasma being quite high I doubt that the Bangkok centre has the capacity or catchment to serve the whole country.

I am in amper Non Sa-At so the schedule for that would be better than not giving, if you don’t mind looking it up for me.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 13, 2019, 7:44 am

"Thankyou for your information regarding fainting with blood donations by the elderly, which never happened to my recollection to my mother or for that matter any of her friends of a simi9lar age. A rest place was provided after the donation with sugared tea/coffee and biscuits provided to assist everyone donating.

Considering this and the fact that some blood groups are rare here, you would think that EVERY effort would be made and latitude given to enable the Red Cross to collect blood from older people who lets face it, have more time to donate than others as well as older farangs who probably have given like me, blood since I was legally allowed to.

Their rules and regulations do not allow them to utilise the vast potential available and nearly every year we see pleas for blood to assist others. Their policy to Blood Collection is outdated and possibly harmful to the population, including the vast numbers of tourists that Thailand depends on." Khun Paul

Now maybe the time to use your influence and approach the Red Cross and make your case KP. This could be the time to get them to rethink and change
Good luck

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 13, 2019, 9:17 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
November 13, 2019, 7:33 am
Old Grumpy wrote:

I find is quite unusual that there is not a donation centre outside Bangkok as well as the mobile collection service. I was a longtime plasma donor with a reasonable number of donations and on the register for platelets. Neither of the machines used for plasma or platelets are mobile and I assume that THAILAND also has a collection for that & with the use of plasma being quite high I doubt that the Bangkok centre has the capacity or catchment to serve the whole country.

I am in amper Non Sa-At so the schedule for that would be better than not giving, if you don’t mind looking it up for me.
Hi, looked up for Non Sa At and according to the schedule it should have been next month December but as they are very busy with the annual fund raising fair that month no actual date is given, I will Pm you if one is agreed later. However regarding your further query there is a blood donating unit located in the Udon general hospital, it is open every day, no appointment necessary and in my experience never very busy, just ask at reception for blood donation room, they will understand. This is a govt operation not operated by the Red Cross but in conjunction with them.
Thank you for your interest.
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 13, 2019, 9:31 am

Barney wrote:
November 13, 2019, 7:14 am
Among the many restrictions to donating blood in Australia they also have the additional restriction, in bold font, below for donating blood that refers to Brits or people who resided in Britian for 6 moths or more during the below years as per the below details. Here is the full website link for Australia,

https://www.donateblood.com.au/eligibility#

Does Thailand have similar strict restrictions??

Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) – I can’t give blood as I lived in the UK for six months between 1980-1996. When will I be able to donate?

The Blood Service currently can’t take blood donations from people who lived in the UK for six months or more from 1980–1996.
This is related to the fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD, the human form of the bovine condition sometimes known as ‘mad cow disease’):

Very interesting that Barney, something new to learn every day. I can confirm there is no such question before donating blood in Thailand so therefore I would think that restriction doesn't apply here.Blimey that means about half the UK population are ineligible.
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2019, 11:34 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
Old Grumpy wrote:

STWW
My missus gives blood at any time at the main hospital adjacent to Nong Prajak.
Down stairs entrance, fill out the form, quick ***** to test your blood, then bobs your uncle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Barney wrote:
November 13, 2019, 11:34 am

STWW
My missus gives blood at any time at the main hospital adjacent to Nong Prajak.
Down stairs entrance, fill out the form, quick ***** to test your blood, then bobs your uncle.
Thanks for that it looks as if it’s the same one “Old Grumpy” mentions above. I think that there’s mor chance of my going in there than going into Non Sa-At. Do you happen to know is they have a plasma donation centre there? Or would that be in KK?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

Doodoo wrote:
November 13, 2019, 7:44 am
"Thankyou for your information regarding fainting with blood donations by the elderly, which never happened to my recollection to my mother or for that matter any of her friends of a simi9lar age. A rest place was provided after the donation with sugared tea/coffee and biscuits provided to assist everyone donating.

Their rules and regulations do not allow them to utilise the vast potential available and nearly every year we see pleas for blood to assist others. Their policy to Blood Collection is outdated and possibly harmful to the population, including the vast numbers of tourists that Thailand depends on." Khun Paul

Now maybe the time to use your influence and approach the Red Cross and make your case KP. This could be the time to get them to rethink and change
Good luck
I tried with the yhelp of the Medical Officer in charge of the provincial Health Authority, however although I did make some progress with Udon Hospital as mentioned in later posts, the Thai red Cross are their own bosses and nothing will or could persuade them to change policies . being O neg and a mere -.1% of the population here life could be grim if I needed blood

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

The New Zealand Blood Service also doesn't accept blood donations from people who have lived in the United Kingdom, France or the Republic of Ireland between 1980 and 1996 for a cumulative 6 months or more. This ban might be widespread in developed countries.

I have a now 12 year old step-grandson who has Thalassemia. He needs a blood transfusion once or twice a year and is usually in the main Udon hospital over night for that. If he gets particularly sick he can be in hospital for a week having his blood sorted. I often worry about the quality of the blood he receives. This thread prompted me to be more grateful to the donors.

Thalassemia for children is treated in the pediatric oncology department at the Udon Hospital. After waiting around there with him and family when I am in Udon to see his doctor, I leave grateful it's only Thalassemia even though it can be very debilitating.

From Wiki: "Thalassemias are inherited blood disorders characterized by abnormal hemoglobin production. Symptoms depend on the type and can vary from none to severe. Often there is mild to severe anemia. Anemia can result in feeling tired and pale skin. There may also be bone problems, an enlarged spleen, yellowish skin, and dark urine. Slow growth may occur in children."

It looks like my step-grandson is going to reach a normal Thai adult height. That will be thanks to blood donations. Thailand is one of the countries where Thalassemia is more prevalent.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Community Events”