Hailstorm in Udon Thani province

Udon Thani news, views and comments
jorg
udonmap.com

Hailstorm in Udon Thani province

Post by jorg » February 28, 2010, 11:10 pm

Found this on youtube, hadn't heard about it... happened about 3 weeks ago according to the info with the video.

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcIHWvXmi7s&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xcIHWvXmi7s&hl ... 6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Lots more on this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KaiJaeNaKa

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Re: Hailstorm in Udon Thani province

Post by rickfarang » March 1, 2010, 2:15 am

Its been pretty dry here for the last three or four weeks. Not sure if this is really Udon.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 1, 2010, 6:06 am

We experienced a hard rain about that time in our area. Not sure about hail, it was late at night.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 1, 2010, 7:00 am

A few weeks back, my wife did tell me of a storm in the Ban Dung area and hailstones, which had caused damage to a newly constructed house. If as the video and the size of the 'stones', I can well imagine. In this part of the world, it does seem to me that bad weather can be much more localised, than those complete cloudcover, drizzly days in the UK affecting the whole country. There must have been dozens of occasions here when I've suffered teeming rain and black skies, only to go a few kilometres into sunshine and not a drop.

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » March 1, 2010, 7:55 am

rickfarang wrote:Its been pretty dry here for the last three or four weeks. Not sure if this is really Udon.
The info on the video says it is in Phu Phra Bat park, i have been there and recognize a lot, so pretty sure it was in Udon, only not in the city.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 1, 2010, 9:45 am

It happened not too far from Ban Phu and around the Phuprabat Park area but was probably a good 30 kilometres from central Udon and pretty localised.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » March 1, 2010, 9:21 pm

We do the trip there from udon thani on a regular basis to visit the wifes family and it takes around an hour and a half.We were there on that particular day in fact and saw a procession heading towards phuprabat park from a little village called ban tiu as we were heading back to udon thani.

I actually said to the wife the clouds look very dark, in fact i would say black behind us and we needed to get away from them as quickly as possible which we did.Later on on the evening news the village was completely devastated with roofs completely ruined with holes in them and windows smashed.The trees that lined the main road into the village were stripped completley of there leaves.Total devastation.I'd never seen anything like it,and we were certainly glad we came away when we did otherwise we would've been a victim of it

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 3, 2010, 7:01 am

Better late than never! Checked with TW again. She said she told me Ban Phu area, not Ban Dung. Maybe I need my ears syringed? :oops:

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 3, 2010, 4:43 pm

Hail often precedes tornadoes. Tornadoes in Udon...that's a scary thought.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 3, 2010, 5:45 pm

Sounds like the same storm that went through our area in Ban Tad, sw of Udon. Don't believe it was a tornado but we got lots of rain, hail and very high winds. Knocked down a lot of trees and structures in the area and we were without power for 43 hours. Worst storm that I've seen in Thailand.

Return to “Udon Thani News”