Scent to jail

Udon Thani news, views and comments
businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 24, 2005, 11:02 am

I think they are trying to introduce ID cards in the UK as well.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2005, 12:33 pm

BM, yeah you are right they are...
But in typical UK style they are going for a new super style more detail than you can carry in your head card. So not only are they trying to introduce somwthing that we have been happily living without for 2,000 years but they are making it so high tech that no one else in the world has tried it yet. OH, and the government say it will cost ฃ100 (7,000 baht) but independent economic groups say it will have to be nearer ฃ400 (28,000 baht) if it isn't gona cost the government money - which is not their aim.
And the reason for its' introduction?? To cut down on terrorist activity!!! Give me a break, the only terrorist activity we have had in the UK has been carried out by UK (or Irish) nationals who would have all been entitled to ID cards anyway..
Sorry for the rant, I have a real 'bee in my bonnet' about this. It is a complete waste of time & money in the UK and is certainly not been done for the reasons stated by the powers that be. The UK has the highest number of passport holders of anywhere in the world (it runs at something like 86% of the population compared to the USA at about 8%) if everybody in the UK needs ID then just make passports compulsory.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 24, 2005, 12:40 pm

Bob,those suicide bombers on the underground,were they not also UK citizens who would be able to get an ID card.?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2005, 1:13 pm

Absolutely, of the 8 that they identified (for the two attacks) I think that 7 were actually born in the UK or had certainly lived the greatest part of their young lives here. Hence my confusion over how an ID card is gona help prevent this...sadly I think it is far more of a 'big brother' thing. I read somewhere the other day that, on average, everyone in the UK is caught on CTV cameras at least 10 times a day. They now have 'picture recognition' software available. If everyone has to have an ID card that is electronically captured then 'they' can tell where everyone is at virtually any moment in time.
Ok, in theory, that can only be good in preventing crime. In practice I don't think that any government in the world has a very good record of what happens with personal data about people. The state often seems to view 'crimes' as something different to what the ordinary person in the street would see them as...

Sorry again... rant over for the day, I am going shopping, to be captured on CTV for the world to see... :D

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 24, 2005, 1:22 pm

Not looking too good Bob.I did a google search on "cheltenham england web cam" and it came up with 147,000 responses. :(

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2005, 3:45 pm

Marcus that is NOT good. The attached link shows the population in 2001
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001 ... s/23ub.asp
just over 110,000.
That is 1.5 web cams for each of us. I guess that the 0.5 is if the 1 fails... :D
And people say that I am paranoid....it is true what is said,
just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2005, 3:49 pm

Jeab, refering to the Web Cam posting, from what Marcus says, it looks like if you want to put 1 on your site for Cheltenham (to show Udon what England is like) then it will not be much of an issue... :D

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 25, 2005, 11:57 am

They say you can walk from one side of London to the other and never be out of shot of a camera.

valentine

Post by valentine » September 25, 2005, 1:53 pm

Well, was the road dug up or something? We seemed to get diverted down several side streets. I thought I logged on to"Udonthani news", and have so far been through the American election system, identity cards in Uk, now we counting CCTV cameras in Cheltenham. This all started on two drug smugglers that hadn't washed for a week. This could only be The Udonmap forum??? Bless it!!!

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 25, 2005, 2:12 pm

Val,with most of the posters on the forum not living here in Thailand,i guess comments about home countries will emerge and be expanded. :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 25, 2005, 2:58 pm

we do drift a bit.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 26, 2005, 10:29 am

Drift is OK.Better than being mauled by some over keen moderator.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 26, 2005, 9:21 pm

businessman wrote:Drift is OK.Better than being mauled by some over keen moderator.
I must admit I never looked at it quite that way 8)

Return to “Udon Thani News”