Scotsman robbed at Ruysuk

Udon Thani news, views and comments
trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 23, 2012, 4:33 pm

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/277948
Sorry this is all in Thai but I can't find an English version .A brief synopsis .
Last week a 66 year old Scot and his Thai wife were staying at Ruysuk hotel . They went out for the day to Ban Dung to visit friends. On returning later to their room they discovered that 140,000bht had been removed from the wardrobe where he had left it. The door to the room was still securely locked with no sign of forced entry . The police were called and after checking the security cameras which showed only the maid had entered, they looked for her. She was a 19year old that had recently started working there. It was discovered she had returned home to Roi Et. After a week at home she returned back to work where the police apprehended her .She confessed to taking it saying she only earnt 5k a month and it wasn't enough for her to take care of her mother and her baby that mum was looking after ,so she took it .Subsequently police found out that she has spent the lot buying several things for the home including a new TV, given her mother 10k to buy milk and a new bed for the baby. A gold necklace and ring for herself. She is now in custody awaiting trial.

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » July 23, 2012, 5:39 pm

I wouldn't leave 140 baht laying around a hotel room.
How ignorant can these people really be?

It's not right for the maid to steal it, but really, some people are just asking for it.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 23, 2012, 5:46 pm

Last week a 66 year old Scot and his Thai wife were staying at Ruysuk hotel . They went out for the day to Ban Dung to visit friends. On returning later to their room they discovered that 140,000 bht had been removed from the wardrobe where he had left it.
In my forty-seven years of traveling on my own, from the tender age of eighteen on, never, have I had that much cash on my person, or left in my hotel room. Usually, I've carried travelers cheques.
Plus, these idiots were staying at the Ruysuk, an OK place, but a second rate guest house, IMO.
Obviously, the Ruysuk doesn't provide an in-room safe, or a safe at the front desk...?
No sympathy from me for this "Scot and his Thai wife".

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 23, 2012, 5:55 pm

Doesn't make it right JJ ...

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » July 23, 2012, 6:00 pm

jingjai wrote:Obviously, the Ruysuk doesn't provide an in-room safe, or a safe at the front desk...?
No sympathy from me for this "Scot and his Thai wife".
There are some lockers at the lobby and a safe at the front desk if you are referring to Ruysuk 1.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 23, 2012, 6:03 pm

well if wee jimmy hadnt left his kit in the wardroom, then the wee girl with the baby would not have been tempted..that doesnt make it right either...

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 23, 2012, 6:04 pm

I bet you he wouldnt do it in a backpackers in Scotland

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 23, 2012, 6:16 pm

Aardvark wrote:Doesn't make it right JJ ...
I didn't say it [the crime} was right. What I said was the "Scot and his Thai wife" were idiots for leaving 140,000 baht in their room. 140,000 baht is a large chunk of change, IMO.
harmonyudon wrote:
jingjai wrote:Obviously, the Ruysuk doesn't provide an in-room safe, or a safe at the front desk...?
There are some lockers at the lobby and a safe at the front desk if you are referring to Ruysuk 1.
Then why didn't the "Scot and his Thai wife" put that 140,000 baht in the safe?

Harmony, you seem to be familiar with the Ruysuk. Do you think the Ruysuk has liability insurance for it's guests?
Will the "Scot and his Thai wife" be compensated for their loss???

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » July 23, 2012, 6:51 pm

I have to agree with jingjai on this one...only an idiot would leave 140,000 baht unsecured in a room he knew he would not return to for a while! He would have been better off putting it in his sock (or jock). Leaving cash lying about is asking for trouble anywhere in the world...

And no, it does not make the maids actions ok, but it should have been expected. Maybe a good lesson for the Scot and his Thai wife.

KB

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 23, 2012, 7:33 pm

Maybe they thought it was safer to leave the money in the hotel room than risk it in the wild backwaters of Ban Dung. :D

ps I am still trying to work out the significance of "his Thai wife" insofar as she is highlighted in numerous responses to the OP. :-k

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » July 23, 2012, 7:39 pm

jingjai wrote:Harmony, you seem to be familiar with the Ruysuk. Do you think the Ruysuk has liability insurance for it's guests?Will the "Scot and his Thai wife" be compensated for their loss???
Sorry, I dont know. You better ask Joe about this. I only rented the restaurant part before.

jackspratt wrote:..I am still trying to work out the significance of "his Thai wife" insofar as she is highlighted in numerous responses to the OP. :-k

I many times read his/my Thai wife in posts. Does this mean that in this case he also has a Scottish wife???? :lol: :lol: :-k :-k
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » July 23, 2012, 7:44 pm

he could and should have left it in joes safe.i have in the past.no problem.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 23, 2012, 8:13 pm

trubrit wrote:http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/277948
Last week a 66 year old Scot and his Thai wife were staying at Ruysuk hotel .
jackspratt wrote: ps I am still trying to work out the significance of "his Thai wife" insofar as she is highlighted in numerous responses to the OP. :-k
It is a direct quote from the OP.

However... Now I've put on my "detectives hat" :lol: .
Perhaps, the "Thai wife" was involved? Perhaps, the "Thai wife" was in cahoots with "the maid"?
Why would anyone in their right mind, leave 140,000 baht, unprotected, in "the wardrobe" of their room, when there are lockers, and a safe, in the lobby of the Ruysuk?
Stranger things have happened in "Amazing Thailand", the LOS?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 23, 2012, 8:17 pm

[quote="jackspratt"]
ps I am still trying to work out the significance of "his Thai wife" insofar as she is highlighted in numerous responses to the OP. :-k[/quote]

Maybe the money was half hers.....maybe all hers (in which case, the question would be "what's the significance of "the man from Scotland".)

140,000 = that's a cool $4500.

Just before I related this story to my wife, she told me of a news item on the evening's news: A man had been working for the same employer for 15-ish years. Barely a pay raise during that time. His boss gives him 5 million baht to go deposit in his (the boss's) bank account. Well, you probably know the rest of the story.

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » July 23, 2012, 9:57 pm

It's never acceptable to steal.
Even if you're a maid on 5k a month or a guy who's had no raise for 15 years.
If you don't like the conditions of your employment there are options. Improve yourself through training and education. Look for a new job. Move to a different location.

Theft is inexcusable. And that extends to policemen (Oh, but they're underpaid and have to buy their own uniforms!)
How is that anyone's problem but their own?

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » July 24, 2012, 5:08 am

Was the Scot's money just sitting in the wardrobe with the door open, or was it hidden inside a piece of luggage that needed to be rifled through after opening the closet door?

When I have visitors in Thailand, I always inform them the days the maid comes to clean, and in any event to not leave any valuables lying around. I said they do not need to worry about the maid/s (my maids) going through their stuff, and we have no reason not to trust them (our choice in maids), though why tempt fate.

In one personal case, our maid in Bangkok of 5 years who I had helped repeatedly in little ways, including paying for her mother's funeral, became the maid of our tenant in Bangkok in the same unit. On the tenant's return from a trip to Singapore, they had left a few Singapore dollars in pants that were laundered by the maid. When the tenant remembered they had left a few bucks in the pants, only to discover the maid had decided to take what she found, they fired her on the spot, no forgiveness. As the Thai wife of our tenant put it, once the maid shows a propensity to steal, that's the end of letting her in their home.

tong dee

Post by tong dee » July 29, 2012, 8:16 pm

what ever happened to the use of Banks, atm machine, cashiers checks. why the heck would one need that much cash on hand, that the money couldnt be put into one of the things i have mentioned so far? and why did they feel safer to leave it in the room vs taking with them? like you all say, dont think they will do it again?

stratus
udonmap.com

Post by stratus » August 1, 2012, 7:08 am

it's not the first time that i hear these story's from the ruysuk.
my friend had the same probleme 3-4 weekss ago!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 1, 2012, 7:45 am

stratus wrote:it's not the first time that i hear these story's from the ruysuk.
my friend had the same probleme 3-4 weekss ago!
Really??
Lets have the full details then, like exactly how long ago, Exactly what was stolen. Were the police called. What was the outcome of the inquiry. Why was it not reported in the local press like this case? Who was responsible? What did the owners do about it. When is the trial, or has it already happened?

I have stayed there for extended periods of time, over the years.
I have never found the staff or management to be anything but scrupulously honest, as, indeed, has been exactly the case with every other Hotel I have stayed at in Udon.
Mind you, I wouldn't consider leaving a couple of years' worth of wages in a wardrobe anywhere in the world. :D

stratus
udonmap.com

Post by stratus » August 5, 2012, 6:54 am

well bob, it happened twice, the first time the first week in may, 650 euro and the second time the first week in june, 35 dollars and 13000 baht. he went to joe and he said sorry!!! it's the last time he stayed there.

Return to “Udon Thani News”