noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by noosard » November 22, 2019, 8:58 pm

dragonz wrote:
November 22, 2019, 11:27 am
FrazeeDK wrote:
November 22, 2019, 6:57 am
for those bemoaning the problems turning north to Nong Khai at the new intersection remember, they've had the proposed Outer Ring Road in planning for years.. Eventually that will be completed and run from 20 km south of Udon (near the Regional Cancer Center) on both the east and west sides of Udon. It supposedly will link up on the north side near the road that goes to Ban Pheu.. That will remove nearly all of the Nong Khai/Laos bound freight traffic and make the Inner Ring Road a lot easier to drive..

Udon ring road plan updated Jan 2016.jpg
now that would be a ring road but again pretty stupid . does not need a ring road just a bypass around one side so the traffic from bkk can go to nongkhai and laos . cut the left side off as not needed
Now that is head in the sand about the future needs of the roads that will be required

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 23, 2019, 5:31 pm

Do you understand the difference between a bypass and a ring road ? It seems not . A ring road is for traffic to get from one end of a city to the other without driving through the city . A bypass is for through traffic not to drive through through the city on the way to somewhere else .
All that is needed is a road for traffic from bkk to go to laos , ie a bypass

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 24, 2019, 7:44 pm

seems pretty much the same to me if there is a by-pass on both East and West sides!
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 24, 2019, 8:11 pm

Why would you need "by-pass" on both East & West sides?

Common sense would seem to suggest that unless they're intending to make 18k golf course the "must play" course in Thailand attracting thousands a day from down South there is not and never will be the need for a West By pass. Scrapping the idea (before spending millions on feasbility studies etc) and making the East By pass a lane or two wider to cope with future traffic levels seems a much better use of the finances

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 24, 2019, 8:11 pm
Why would you need "by-pass" on both East & West sides?

Common sense would seem to suggest that unless they're intending to make 18k golf course the "must play" course in Thailand attracting thousands a day from down South there is not and never will be the need for a West By pass. Scrapping the idea (before spending millions on feasbility studies etc) and making the East By pass a lane or two wider to cope with future traffic levels seems a much better use of the finances
Coming in from Do Home yesterday and headed for Tool Pro, I noticed the city-bound traffic heading for the newly opened underpass and not too many idiots doing last-minute lane changes because they can't read the big new signs.

But what I hadn't noticed before was the left filter lane at the lights, the main lane for taking all the heavy southbound traffic from Nong Khai round the ring road and on to Khon Kaen. It is a SINGLE LANE, just like it was before they spent all this money on road improvements that would improve traffic flow. It seems that our fears that the Global lights will back up faster than a septic tank in the rainy season are totally unfounded as we will still have 2 or 3 lanes of traffic trying to get into the 1 left-turn lane on the northeast corner. Maybe they are thinking that everyone will get into the correct lane earlier and inch along slowly like they always do?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

BTW, the idiocy has started. This at about 7:15 this morning.
2019-11-25 at 14.15.26.jpeg
Muppet.
2019-11-25 at 14.15.26b.jpeg
Just can't help themselves.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 25, 2019, 3:39 pm

" Maybe they are thinking that everyone will get into the correct lane earlier and inch along slowly like they always do?"

well it will be about 300metres back where the bikes/tuktuks/buses swing across from the inside lane to the "tunnel lanes",
just like some old girl on a bike did in front of me this morning :roll: Give her due though, she did put the indicator on about 0.05 secs before swerving cross the road (No wing mirror, and had no idea I was there)

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 25, 2019, 5:26 pm

Another problem is if you are travelling from Nong Khai & want to do a U Turn to go to Nong Samrong you have to sit in line with the traffic going to Tesco or Airport.

They have put the ONLY U Turn about 50 Meters from the Traffic Lights instead of at least 150 meters before the lights.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 25, 2019, 7:58 pm

I think I'm correct to say that, in spite of the official opening ceremony, the bridge is not open to normal traffic yet. The guy doing an early morning selfie on the bridge is not, I guess, causing a problem. Perhaps the delay to opening is that I witnessed cable pulling for lights only a few days ago, so possibly that's not completed yet.
I did think the tunnel lighting was smart.
Anyone notice that, coming from Ban Huay market to the lights, road markings are for turn right ONLY on THREE of the inner lanes, the second outside one for straight on only and, of course, the outside one for left Tesco way. Most of the straight across (towards Nong Khai) traffic will use the tunnel, but I did think it strange that the second/third inner lanes didn't show two arrows - for straight ahead, as well as turning right.
An excuse for police fines? I say that for being duped by the police by a perfectly safe right turn on a straight ahead only arrow coming into town, before all this construction started. It was very common practice for drivers to use the second inner lane to turn right without any problem, just the police saw an opportunity to catch dozens. Not so long after, signs and road markings were changed to make a right turn from this second inner lane legal, which spoke volumes to me!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 25, 2019, 10:23 pm

Correct the overpass is not open as of tonight at least.
Did the race through the tunnel tonight, very bright lights.
Done a few tunnel lights in my short electrician life and usually the lights are reduced in a tunnel at night so as to appear the same as the outside lighting. Going from external dark to a short very bright tunnel then dark again not the best for eye focusing. Lighting is usually the opposite to outside. Bright light at the day period. Maybe they are just showing off the illumination that is available.
Nice tunnel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 25, 2019, 10:56 pm

"Nice tunnel though."

Cant argue ........ 2 ends and a middle bit, sorta like most tunnels :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 26, 2019, 7:00 am

stattointhailand wrote:"Nice tunnel though."

ImageImageImage
Won’t be long and it will have that old Thai concrete look and the lights will just go out gradually one at a time.
Will be a favourite for the young hoons racing through with those unbearably noisy exhausts.
But still a nice tunnel though. Image

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2019, 8:45 am

Due to pressure from minnie miss stats (and the fact it hasnt rained) I risked a trip through the tunnel this morning.
It does look pretty nice. I assume the water drains are between the crash barriers and the wall as there do not seem to be any roadside. It is also hoped that they will clear the drains far more often than they do on Udons other roads ..... if not every time it rains the tunnel will get closed as there will be a 3 foot deep flood in the middle.
BTW minnie miss stats was impressed, and once again proved her 50% farang heritage by NOT insisting on getting out half way through for a selfie :-$

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 26, 2019, 10:19 am

stattointhailand wrote:Due to pressure from minnie miss stats (and the fact it hasnt rained) I risked a trip through the tunnel this morning.
It does look pretty nice. I assume the water drains are between the crash barriers and the wall as there do not seem to be any roadside. It is also hoped that they will clear the drains far more often than they do on Udons other roads ..... if not every time it rains the tunnel will get closed as there will be a 3 foot deep flood in the middle.
BTW minnie miss stats was impressed, and once again proved her 50% farang heritage by NOT insisting on getting out half way through for a selfie :-$
Brave Call mr statts.
So fill us in, don’t hold back, you’ve been lambasting the school run for yonks.
Was it a more pleasant experience for yourself both in and out of town.
Give credit where it’s due if that’s the case.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 25, 2019, 10:56 pm
"Nice tunnel though."

But so short, sorta like Mrs tam but not as cute.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2019, 2:11 pm

Barney wrote:
November 26, 2019, 10:19 am
stattointhailand wrote:Due to pressure from minnie miss stats (and the fact it hasnt rained) I risked a trip through the tunnel this morning.
Brave Call mr statts.
So fill us in, don’t hold back, you’ve been lambasting the school run for yonks.
Was it a more pleasant experience for yourself both in and out of town.
Give credit where it’s due if that’s the case.

It was "dream run" Barney .......... the dreams that I've had to make do with for the last 2 years :lol:
It took exactly 7 mins door to door which is back to what it was 2 or 3 years ago.
I managed to exit the tunnel at a (to use an overused word) Perfect time when all the traffic was being held up at the lights, so 100+ yds of traffic less road and nobody veering across the tunnel exit lanes to be in the "fast lanes" or stopping there to do a "u" turn.
The return journey was not so pleasant however as we were all made to come to a halt as we approached the tunnel when some nice lady in a Honda Jazz stopped in the outside lane to allow 5 cars and a 40+ ton artic to do the U turn in front of us :roll:

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 26, 2019, 3:10 pm

I've not traveled through the tunnel yet but may make a run up that way this week. I reckon there are plenty of warning signs to prevent over-height loads from entering. Daily, I see pickup trucks with produce stacked to the max. Does anyone know what the clearance height is?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

:-k I think that putting the signs up is another dept Shado

If there are signs, I cant remember seeing them

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2019, 7:25 pm

Shado the only signs are small and at the very top of the green signs that give you lane directions. Most people would have read the sign long before getting near enough to see that there are two additional bits of info (height 5metres and no bikes/motorbikes etc) and probably be checking traffic/mirrors etc when they need to be looking back at the sign.
They have added three more signs telling bikes they are banned from the tunnel but no extra height restriction signs even on the face above the tunnel as is usual.
Needless to say I followed 2 motorbikes through the tunnel this evening obviously not caring about the restrictions at all.

Noticed they have now put up orange posts town side of the tunnel in the middle of the road to stop the "u turns" as if that is gonna stop the motorbikes (or even small cars)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 26, 2019, 7:47 pm

Hopefully motorcycles transiting through the tunnel is a short term problem with enforcement (no KP, that is not an invitation).

I don't believe I have ever seen a motorcycle In numerous trips through the Pattaya tunnel.

And surprisingly, I have seen enforcement work - albeit a tiny sample in Thailand terms. The main road into Ban Dung has a right turn into the hospital. The general area has been notorious for pickups double and triple parking - thereby blocking the road, and creating long waits for people not wanting to turn into the hospital.

The local rozzers recently started moving on the offending vehicles, and if not attended, wheel clamping them. Not sure how the bush telegraph works here, but the results have been amazing.

In the case of the Udon tunnel, perhaps impounding any offending bikes for a month would have a similar impact.

Return to “Udon Thani News”