Second Ring Road Plans

Udon Thani news, views and comments
anefarious1
udonmap.com

Re: Second Ring Road Plans

Post by anefarious1 » August 10, 2020, 10:53 am

tamada wrote:
August 9, 2020, 3:33 pm
^ That's got to be a "phase 1" effort with an upgrade of the current 2-way road between Nong Sai and the ring road traffic lights. Anyone who uses that junction knows that just the local traffic inbound from Nong Sai can take about 20 minutes and 4 traffic light changes just to get through during morning rush hours.
Compared to Nong Sai, Sam Phrao has the bigger population yet it has even more limited options in terms of access to other parts of the city. At the very least, Nong Sai and Sam Phrao need to be properly linked up. And of course the terrible situation at the ring road junctions needs addressing. I'm hoping for a bridge within the next 5 years at the global house intersection.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2020, 11:10 am

anefarious1 wrote:
August 10, 2020, 10:53 am
tamada wrote:
August 9, 2020, 3:33 pm
^ That's got to be a "phase 1" effort with an upgrade of the current 2-way road between Nong Sai and the ring road traffic lights. Anyone who uses that junction knows that just the local traffic inbound from Nong Sai can take about 20 minutes and 4 traffic light changes just to get through during morning rush hours.
Compared to Nong Sai, Sam Phrao has the bigger population yet it has even more limited options in terms of access to the Ring Road. Nong Sai and Sam Phrao need to be linked up. And of course the terrible situation at the ring road junctions needs addressing. I'm hoping for a bridge within the next 5 years at the global house intersection.
Yes, the Sam Phrao junction is also very busy but at least the road surface of the ring road there isn't corrugated like the Nong Sai junction. You can still 'fly' across the Global junction but throw in three skylabs and half a dozen step-through with 4-up at the Nong Sai lights, then the crawl across the ring road onto Soi Nongbua becomes glacial.

Maybe that's part of the 'master' plan where some Sam Phrao residents can opt to use the 'southern' route in/out of town via the Nong Sai bypass? Come into the city from the east as well as the northeast?

Given Udon traffic planner's repeated ability to build sparsely used flyovers and leave the bulk of traffic STILL idling at traffic lights underneath, which orientation would be the most effective bridge at the Sam Phrao junction, north-south or east-west?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 10, 2020, 9:43 pm

why go for some humongous 4 lane overpass? Why not a two lane one that allows one lane each way to go over both the Sahm Phrao and Nong Sai intersections. Would be quicker to build too. They've done plenty of those big concrete 2 lane U-turns down south of Khorat. So they got it all standardized.. But, I'd reckon too that any traffic analysis of the traffic likely would show that most traffic is headed to and from Nong Khai and the border so if they get cracking on the outer Ring Road, at least one that goes around the east side from Rte 2 south of Non Soong to Rte 22 near Ban Champa to Rte 2 on the Nong Khai side near the Ban Pheu road it should lessen Ring Road traffic substantially.

Throughout the city they need actual traffic management that would include one way roads, and actual traffic enforcement. Down near Nong Bua Market by the railroad tracks is a particular nightmare.
Dave

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 11, 2020, 8:38 am

How much time would we save each trip if traffic lights changed from red to green a few more times than 3 minutes, 2 minutes etc. Crazy sitting at a red light for ages while very few vehicles are crossing under a green light. Intersection near Global a great example. Anafarious must have at least 3 cycles of those awful lights to get onto the ring Rd
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Whistler wrote:
August 11, 2020, 8:38 am
How much time would we save each trip if traffic lights changed from red to green a few more times than 3 minutes, 2 minutes etc. Crazy sitting at a red light for ages while very few vehicles are crossing under a green light. Intersection near Global a great example. Anafarious must have at least 3 cycles of those awful lights to get onto the ring Rd
Good point. I go through the global lights at least six times a day and the tailbacks on the ring road seem longer when the lights are under manual control. Does the cop increase the green time to/from Sam Phrao and leave the ring road light cycle times as-is or does he screw around with everyone? I did note on the morning it was raining and he didn't come to work, the junction looked less busy and less jammed up on the standard, automatic light timing. That's with less bikes and more cars due to the rain.

How about using the filter lights once in a while? If they increased the length of the right turn filter lanes and used the filter lights, that would greatly improve the flow too.
Last edited by tamada on August 11, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 11, 2020, 9:04 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 10, 2020, 9:43 pm
why go for some humongous 4 lane overpass? Why not a two lane one that allows one lane each way to go over both the Sahm Phrao and Nong Sai intersections. Would be quicker to build too. They've done plenty of those big concrete 2 lane U-turns down south of Khorat. So they got it all standardized.. But, I'd reckon too that any traffic analysis of the traffic likely would show that most traffic is headed to and from Nong Khai and the border so if they get cracking on the outer Ring Road, at least one that goes around the east side from Rte 2 south of Non Soong to Rte 22 near Ban Champa to Rte 2 on the Nong Khai side near the Ban Pheu road it should lessen Ring Road traffic substantially.

Throughout the city they need actual traffic management that would include one way roads, and actual traffic enforcement. Down near Nong Bua Market by the railroad tracks is a particular nightmare.
I see what you're saying with a narrower, single lane, 2-way flyover. They have them in Bangkok where width contraints on the likes of Rama IV and Petchburi made them practical. However, with the volume of heavy trucks going on the ring road, you'll end up with them hogging the right-hand, "fast" lane and buggering up the slow traffic keep left "rule" more than usual.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Schematic of Proposed Outer Ring Road

Post by semperfiguy » March 19, 2023, 8:32 pm

I am contemplating purchasing land to the northwest of Udon and am interested to see it's proximity to the proposed new outer Ring Road. I know there has been much discussion of this in the past, and maps were even posted on the forum, but I can't seem to locate them now. Could someone please direct me to maps and previous discussion of the matter. Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Chungju

Re: Schematic of Proposed Outer Ring Road

Post by Chungju » March 20, 2023, 7:09 pm

It has been at least been discussed under the topic “second ring road plans”

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28132&sid=b0478c13 ... f1880cad40

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 21, 2023, 7:46 am

Thanks to all of you for your help!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Return to “Udon Thani News”