Second Ring Road Plans

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Second Ring Road Plans

Post by Khun Paul » April 8, 2016, 9:42 am

The impletmentation and building in quicktime of any link between KK Hwy and NK hwy would ease considerable traffic from these two roads amd ease the current overloaded ring road. ( this is logical )
The town lost out on its chance when building Lumpini as they had the advantage then of putting in an overpass over the rail-crossing and a feeder road to Lumpini etc, lack of any rail crossings is part of the problem and lack of any foresight is another.
The placement of a gap in the bollards to allow a right turn into UD was a colossal mistake and one which I have personally seen as dangerous at least one to two near misses or accidents weekly ( luckily no-one injured or dead YET ! )
The next time that stupid man stands in front of me with little or no warning , he will need AEK Udon, because I am not stopping he is NOT a Police Officer .

The infrastructure in town has taken ZERO account of the upsurge in traffic due to the enlarged Centara and UD Town, they are suffering from the ostrich syndrome both the Town Officials and the Police , hoping it will sort itself out.

rick
udonmap.com

Second Ring Road Plans

Post by rick » April 8, 2016, 11:05 pm

I haven't seen the gap in the bollards at UDtown open in months - I think now closed. Would agree traffic on the eastern ring road is getting to be ridiculous - today we actually cut through town from global house via Nong Sim to get to Ban huai market - it was far quicker! (my wife said use ringroad because town was full, wrong again). Usually a 500 metre permanent queue on ring road going North and East at every junction.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Second Ring Road Plans

Post by parrot » April 12, 2017, 6:16 pm

The city is offering an opportunity for residents to make comments concerning the first part of the planned ring road, as shown below in the photo. 26 April, 08:30-12:00 at the Siam Grand Hotel.
Attachments
image-4E30_58EDC598.jpg

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » April 12, 2017, 9:53 pm

Khun Paul
"The next time that stupid man stands in front of me with little or no warning , he will need AEK Udon, because I am not stopping he is NOT a Police Officer . "

To use Udonmap to convey your anger and threat is not what we or I should say I am is about. If you have any constructive critisicms to offer I am sure we would appreciate it

Thanks again
Ding

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » April 13, 2017, 1:09 pm

Khun Paul wrote:The infrastructure in town has taken ZERO account of the upsurge in traffic due to the enlarged Centara and UD Town, they are suffering from the ostrich syndrome both the Town Officials and the Police , hoping it will sort itself out.
Yes, and proof of that is reflected in the lack of parking spaces at these venues.
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 14, 2017, 8:44 am

If people are so unhappy with the infrastructure, the Tessabahn, the Police, the shopping malls, the entertainment centres, people employed to control the traffic (going to run them down no less!) and it would seem just about everything else, why do they stay here?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 14, 2017, 10:17 am

vincemunday wrote:If people are so unhappy with the infrastructure, the Tessabahn, the Police, the shopping malls, the entertainment centres, people employed to control the traffic (going to run them down no less!) and it would seem just about everything else, why do they stay here?
I would guess for the same reason people still support West Ham and even Arsenal for many years despite knowing they are currently rubbish hoping they will improve some time in the future, it's called optimism. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2017, 7:45 pm

Not quite the same Trubrit, but I sort of get your sentiment, sort of. West Ham have always struggled after Christmas, too much figgy pudding I guess but us East Enders live in hope that one day...just maybe... In reality there's a whole world of difference, in the same way you can support a different team you can choose your country of residence. If you're truly unhappy with EVERYTHING as some people seem to be then why don't they try somewhere else or even perhaps go back home? We come here as guests and it's up to us to embrace the Thai culture and accept the foibles that come with living in Thailand, I accept things aren't perfect here but that's the point, I accept it.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 23, 2017, 8:48 am

rick wrote:I haven't seen the gap in the bollards at UDtown open in months - I think now closed. Would agree traffic on the eastern ring road is getting to be ridiculous - today we actually cut through town from global house via Nong Sim to get to Ban huai market - it was far quicker! (my wife said use ringroad because town was full, wrong again). Usually a 500 metre permanent queue on ring road going North and East at every junction.
The gap in the poles to allow cross-flow access UD Town is opened at the discretion of the twerp with the whistle manning the UD Town parking lot entrance. Thankfully on (most) weekends, the gap is coned off but it doesn't stop twerps on motorbikes trying to cut across.

The 'Nong Sim' cut has been my favored access to downtown for a while now but it is progressively getting busier. All the left and right turn lanes at all the east ring road traffic lights need extending from the current ~150 m to at least 300 m. Also, the cops seriously need to hammer the twerps that use the left-turn lanes to go straight ahead though.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Khun Paul wrote:...
The infrastructure in town has taken ZERO account of the upsurge in traffic due to the enlarged Centara and UD Town, they are suffering from the ostrich syndrome both the Town Officials and the Police , hoping it will sort itself out.
The whole country is getting bogged down with all the extra vehicles on the road and little evidence of that being addressed ahead of bullet trains and other fanciful schemes.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 15, 2020, 4:20 am

Plans for the second ring road are back on the agenda:
https://udontoday.co/140763/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2020, 6:47 am

Much talk (again) but enduringly little interest from Bangkok. The high-speed Chinese train is their chosen "silver bullet" that will mostly bypass Isaan.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » July 15, 2020, 1:56 pm

tamada wrote:
July 15, 2020, 6:47 am
Much talk (again) but enduringly little interest from Bangkok. The high-speed Chinese train is their chosen "silver bullet" that will mostly bypass Isaan.
From what I gather there will be stations in KK and Udon (Isaan)
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 15, 2020, 2:18 pm

parrot wrote:
July 15, 2020, 4:20 am
Looks like the new outer ring would be way out there! A smaller ring would enable much quicker travel but I guess the real estate values are too dear. Why take such a road from say, KK to NK? Doesn't make sense.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2020, 2:30 pm

joepai wrote:
July 15, 2020, 1:56 pm
tamada wrote:
July 15, 2020, 6:47 am
From what I gather there will be stations in KK and Udon (Isaan)
Sorry, I meant our special bit of Isaan. I haven't seen or read anything stating that the high speed train will actually stop in Udon. Since the terminus is Nong Khai, I think it very unlikely. The stop in Khon Kaen seems much more likely and one at Korat is a given.
ae0690.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2020, 3:33 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
July 15, 2020, 2:18 pm
parrot wrote:
Looks like the new outer ring would be way out there! A smaller ring would enable much quicker travel but I guess the real estate values are too dear. Why take such a road from say, KK to NK? Doesn't make sense.
Moving all the trucks that currently clutter up the eastern ring road onto the new, far outer ring road will make for cleaner air in the city. As long as they make the ring road Hwy 2 extensions as overpasses at junction #8 and #9 (same as the Khon Kaen ring road), it will be faster. If they do them like the current Big C Nittayo and Tesco flyovers where ring road Hwy 2 traffic is stopped by traffic lights, well that wouldn't surprise me either.

That strange, 'in between' ring road on the east side that cuts west of Nong Sai looks a bit dodgy no?
5176_n.jpg

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 15, 2020, 7:37 pm

tamada wrote:
July 15, 2020, 3:33 pm
anefarious1 wrote:
July 15, 2020, 2:18 pm
parrot wrote:
Moving all the trucks that currently clutter up the eastern ring road onto the new, far outer ring road will make for cleaner air in the city. As long as they make the ring road Hwy 2 extensions as overpasses at junction #8 and #9 (same as the Khon Kaen ring road), it will be faster. If they do them like the current Big C Nittayo and Tesco flyovers where ring road Hwy 2 traffic is stopped by traffic lights, well that wouldn't surprise me either.

That strange, 'in between' ring road on the east side that cuts west of Nong Sai looks a bit dodgy no?

5176_n.jpg
Where did you get that map of the "in between' ring road? I didn't see that in the article. That is very interesting. Not dodgy at all because I think it would be well utilized and greatly reduce traffic at the Global House intersection. Ever since the Uni was build out there the traffic has been increasingly terrible in and out of Sam Phrao. I live out that way. A few months ago MANY utility poles were placed on a plot of land in that vicinity. Hoping it happens.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2020, 9:31 pm

^ That was from an earlier post in the same thread, circa 2016. Mrs tam attended one of their public meetings maybe around 2017/18 and it was included in the information handouts as well.

Living in Houston which was well served with 3 ring roads to move transient traffic clear around the city. However, that didn't serve local commuters and people going to work without extensive arterial roads like a spider web. Your Sam Phrao access is a case in point. Why have two, divided 4-lane eastern ring roads while cross town traffic is still jammed up on mostly narrow, 2-way roads. With land prices increasing, local government may be more unwilling to purchase land for road widening?

Looking back in this thread, the map in the brand new article referenced by parrot has apparently been kicking around since 2013.

Based on that, I will check back here around 2030.

Chungju

Post by Chungju » July 15, 2020, 9:37 pm

They are planning many new motorways in Thailand, one of which would be from Tak to Nakhon Phanon. This may go via Udon and the ring road could be related to that project as well?

https://udon.info/2020/06/27/thailand-r ... -news-gcr/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 16, 2020, 7:21 am

This option was touted as a panacea to the huge loads and the number of Lorries travelling from Nong Khai/Laos to Bangkok , using only a small part of the ring road, so the link from Khon Kaen Road to the Nong Khai Road was thought about upsetting many farmers etc and a few villages but it made sense.
Did not allow for a massive build up inside that link it was just a by-pass.
The latest offering spells gloom for the whole City as it will expand to the outer ring road, making the inner Ring road almost just another dual carriageway SOI .
reminds me of London, grew up with the North and South Circular , now it has the M25 still as congested and causing pollution as the previous ring road.
What is needed is what was planned years ago dual railway tracks to Bangkok, maybe even three , carrying all those goods into Bangkok easing the roads. But the first time paid for two got one track, never really got off the ground since then . P*** Poor planning and corruption ever since has led to this situation .

Return to “Udon Thani News”