Teachers fuming over govt's reversal on school transfers

Udon Thani news, views and comments
admin
Admin

Post by admin » September 26, 2005, 9:55 am

YUTTHAPONG KAMNODNAE

Udon Thani _ Teachers in the Northeast have lashed out at the government for failing to keep its promise to put on hold the planned transfer of schools to local administrative bodies, which they had conceded were not yet ready to take over the management of the schools. About 1,200 teachers from the provinces of Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Loei and Sakon Nakhon, yesterday took part in a forum to oppose the government's plan to transfer schools to local administrative organisations.

Sources said Khamphan Pongpan, senator for Udon Thani, and former MP Khachit Chainiyom, who were both former teachers, also participated in the forum.

Placards were displayed around the venue. One read: ``We teachers are not buffaloes. You can't put a yoke around our necks. We want to stay with the Education Ministry.'' Another read: ``What is the future for teachers if the schools are transferred?'' Teachers blasted the government, saying Thai Rak Thai vowed during the election to put the transfer of schools on hold. Now, however, it had failed to live up to its pledge by announcing it would go ahead with the move.

The protesters urged teachers to send postcards opposing the transfer to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng.

Prawit Buengsai, chairman of the Federation of Teachers in Udon Thani, said there was no rift between teachers and local administrative organisations, but teachers want the government to review the transfer as education management is a delicate issue. He feels there will be a mass rally by teachers nationwide if there is no clear response from the government.

Admin

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 26, 2005, 10:11 am

which they had conceded were not yet ready to take over the management of the schools
what the hell, do it anyway, as long as we save money.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 26, 2005, 10:39 am

Cannot get any worse so go for it.Local control for local needs must be a good thing.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 26, 2005, 2:33 pm

Sorry for my ignorance on this but can someone answer a few 'background' questions that I have?
I assume that the move will be to stop central funding by government and move to funding by local regions?
As the NE is generally seen as the poorest region in Thailand does this mean that the funding in the area on education will actually be reduced?
Is this happening in all areas of Thailand, or just the NE?
A Thai teacher friend of mine told me that there were two 'groups' of teachers in Thailand. The best group to be in for pay, conditions etc. was to actually be employed by the Education Department. The second (with worse employment conditions) were actually directly employed by the school & had very little security of employment. Is the teachers opposition to this move as the first step in the better condition teaching jobs being phased out??
Thanks...

Return to “Udon Thani News”