Immigration on "walkabout"

Udon Thani news, views and comments
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 16, 2014, 10:39 pm

Just got back from town.
7 (SEVEN) Immigration guys wandering round the bars at 10pm asking to see everyone's passports and taking pictures of people from the opposite side of the bar.
Needless to say I think there was only one guy who actually had his passport with him.
It seems that the bar owner has been asked to get a copy of all the "regulars" passports for when they make their next inspection.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 16, 2014, 10:46 pm

Heard the same tonight Statts ..... i believe by law you are supposed to carry a copy of your passport photo page / visa page on you at all times , i dont think it has to be the actual passport . Not sure if any phot ID will suffice like a Thai driving license ... but did chat to a young English expat tonight who had been stopped and asked for his ID/PASSPORT.

I would always want to know the officers asking were both Thai and actual legitimate immo/police officers ,, i would not show any docs if i was unsure or they were plastic police (expat TPV) .

More to follow sure .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 16, 2014, 11:54 pm

U would think that the local tourist police would be invited to participate and accompany the Immigration officers, as they certainly have a joint interest in this sort of targeted operation.

Copy of my passport is in my car at all times, and updated with the latest Visa and immigration stamps.

If the law says we must have it available, then its clear, they are merely enforcing the issue.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 17, 2014, 12:06 am

Selective enforcement is never a good look, and invariably raises questions about true motives.

Although no one can talk about it, things certainly ain't right in the LOS.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 17, 2014, 12:29 am

Profiling Expats after the recent comments and experiences with expat criminal activity being conducted within Thailand.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 17, 2014, 4:14 am

wazza wrote:U would think that the local tourist police would be invited to participate and accompany the Immigration officers, as they certainly have a joint interest in this sort of targeted operation.
Would agree and would reassure that they are the real thing not bangkokians oop here looking for a quick buck. [-X
Will bring copy of my passport on next visit in town,although they would then want copy of visa and copy of the immigration white form,presume the photos show farangs not holding any bargirls hands at the time :shock: ,would at least want to comb my hair before being asked for me photo :shock:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 17, 2014, 4:21 am

Im wondering seriously how a challenged expat would go asking for some formal ID from these inspectors,

Or were they in uniform ? with some sort of Photo ID accompanying

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 17, 2014, 4:40 am

stattointhailand wrote: It seems that the bar owner has been asked to get a copy of all the "regulars" passports for when they make their next inspection.
Tis quiet this time of year,maybe some barowners only have one regular dinker :shock: 10pm was the visit :-k normally back home by then :-" Can they turn up at 9am and go to Enricos :-"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 17, 2014, 5:25 am

Its also not the bar owners duty or obligation to collect this, what if a customer refuses to give a copy of their passport to the bar owner, I would . No disrespect but I don't hand this stuff out to anyone on the chance that a visit from local authorities might or might not happen.

Its the Immigration Department and their empowered officers who have the legal right to ask for this information from the Alien, not a licensee or owner of a SME.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 17, 2014, 7:24 am

Apologies should have said Erwins not Enrico :oops: Hope at least one bar owner has some of their names then quick call to our local imm can confirm all legit :-k
In meantime no harm in getting some copies of passport done if ever gets lost/stolen 8)

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » July 17, 2014, 7:27 am

Doesnt hurt to have a photo of your passport page and visa in your phone ..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 17, 2014, 7:56 am

^ Great tip Gary...
Doing now... :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 17, 2014, 7:58 am

Selfie Visas now.....

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 17, 2014, 8:13 am

I wonder why this isn't done with all the Nigerian drug dealers in Bangkok, I could see the sense in that.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 17, 2014, 9:14 am

Perhaps the milxxxxy think some of Udon's farang are a bigger threat than Nigerian drug dealers? Some of us might have been heard praising demxxxxxy too much when on the turps. I hope I haven't sailed over the line. No comment.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 17, 2014, 7:55 pm

It was done on Sukhumvit's Soi Africas a few years ago.. The BiB along with Immigration Police rousted over a 120 swarthy hued folks. Those who didn't have their passports were "accompanied" back to their lodgings by the detaining officials to check documentation.. The final tally as I recall, only a handful of "illegals"... Of course, enquiring minds would want to know if on the spot fines were taken and people allowed to walk away.
Dave

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 17, 2014, 9:54 pm

GARYZX6R wrote:Doesnt hurt to have a photo of your passport page and visa in your phone ..
BobHelm wrote:^ Great tip Gary...
Doing now... :D
Won't work. A friend of mine was also checked last night. He had a photocopy of his passport in his wallet and pictures of everything on his phone: passport, visa, entry stamp, departure card, but they would have none of it. He was sent home to get his passport. As he doesn't live far, he returned with his passport within a short time, but they'd already gone.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 17, 2014, 10:18 pm

It works if they send you out of the pub on your own to 'collect your passport'.... :D
That will do for me.. :D

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 17, 2014, 10:24 pm

They also sent the people who had nothing on them to go and collect their passports. Not just my friend, but as I wrote before they didn't wait for anyone to return. So I assume it was just a wake up call.
Last edited by Asiaphile on July 17, 2014, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 17, 2014, 10:27 pm

It would all appear to be rather a waste of every-bodies time then..
But that hardly comes as a huge surprise...
Yet another exercise that has been poorly thought through... :(

Return to “Udon Thani News”