Immigration on "walkabout"

Udon Thani news, views and comments
sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 20, 2014, 11:01 am

Carrying your passport on your body is a good way for it to go walkabout. While there are some changes needed, many times the law when strictly enforced bites everybody, innocent or not. I heard last night of a farang picked up in Nong Khai for no passport, not just that he didn't have it on him, he didn't have one period. I understand this man had been around for sometime and is a bit cuckoo in la cabeza. I also heard 100's were picked up in Pattaya, no passport at all. I don't have a problem with this.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 20, 2014, 11:09 am

" As the old Indian said "I will endeavor to persevere".

Well said Grasshopper

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 20, 2014, 11:22 am

Critical comments concerning the military government have had to be edited out of one post. Please remember that failure to abide by the rules regarding this issue will result in suspension or revocation of access to Udon Map.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 20, 2014, 11:26 am

This was a post by wazza commenting about the amount of "editing" which UM Moderators and administration are doing in response to the rules promulgated by the military government.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 20, 2014, 11:37 am

Perhaps the need for self preservation.

TGSA01
udonmap.com

Post by TGSA01 » July 20, 2014, 12:21 pm

sgt wrote:I also heard 100's were picked up in Pattaya, no passport at
HUNDREDS? Really? How did they manage to enter Thailand in the first place? Or had all passports expired, and they threw those away?

I have no problem in complying with Thai Immigration rules, so simple, compared to many other countries I know. And if the 'visa runner system' is no longer possible, that's fine too, would not be possible in other countries either.

However, I will not carry my passport with me but only copies, lost one once (stolen in Rome) and never again, too many hassles in getting a new one, AND all the necessary visas. The 24 hour 'absence report form' is possibly a bit over the top, never heard of anyone actually DOING it, maybe some old thing someone forgot to get rid of.

So far, I have not experienced any indication nor have I read any reports that foreigners are no longer welcome by the Junta. But that the Junta wants to get rid of foreigners who are here illegally or not complying with immigration rules, why blame them? The same would apply in many other countries too, correct?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 20, 2014, 12:42 pm

wazza wrote:This was a post by wazza commenting about the amount of "editing" which UM Moderators and administration are doing in response to the rules promulgated by the military government.
It's sort of like bar closing time. The mandated time may be....xx:00 o'clock and most will comply. A few won't, and that might tempt the ones who do to chance it. But the wise ones (it's a business, after all) will toe the line, maybe even close up a few minutes early to avoid a chance that their clock is a few minutes slow.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 20, 2014, 1:07 pm

I don't have ultimate proof on the numbers etc. being picked up in Pattaya but if true I would suspect they don't have a passport because expired, lost, confiscated, who knows. Trouble in Lao, confiscated, then took a boat from Lao. There are ways of getting in without a passport, but I would imagine most had one at one time.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 20, 2014, 2:25 pm

Guess the best thing to do, during these troubled times...is to comply:
Carry copies of insurance policy, auto blue book, etc., in your car.
Passport on your person.
I understand the concern about carrying your passport with you around town, especially at nighttime, but...
Here are a couple options for safety:
Belts worn around waist under clothing:
These belts tend to offer a couple of zippered pockets large enough to fit a passport...
Neck pouch:
A cord/string is worn around the neck and the pouch (usually with a couple of zippered pockets and large enough for a passport) is worn under your shirt...
Photos & other options here: http://herpackinglist.com/2011/09/money-belts/
http://www.goinginstyle.com/travel-acce ... -Belt.html

I don't know if any of these products are available locally. However, it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to have one made here.
Perhaps, a good idea for a "cottage industry"? :-k

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 20, 2014, 2:42 pm

jinjgai, you are right about the best thing to do is comply. I believe all the auto stuff is in my truck, but will check with the wife to be sure. But, I will carry laminated drivers license size copy of passport photo page and have to get the visa/extension page done, lazy all these years. I'll lock the real deal up in truck and have never done that before last week. From what I hear, Immigration Police don't seem to be too heavy handed. It seems Udon is a bit stricter than other places like Nong Khai. Only time well tell. Like the man said, "smile things could be worse, I smiled and things got worse".

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 20, 2014, 3:25 pm

In and around Udon a copy of your passport should be good enough. If not, not far to go get or a phone call for someone to bring it to you. I wouldn't travel outside of Udon without my passport, even to Nong Khai or Kohn Khen at the present time.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 20, 2014, 3:29 pm

Agreed and I don't. The attitude seems to be if you don't have it on you go get it, so far.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 21, 2014, 10:25 am

I don't carry my passport, either, just a laminated copy of the information/photo page. Picked this habit up in Bangkok when I first started coming to Thailand in 2006. Hotel advised me not to carry the actual passport because real U.S. passports are so valuable on the black market.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 21, 2014, 11:00 am

Given this story in the Bangkok Post over the weekend, we cannot relax the rules, I'm sorry to say. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... ia-control

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Similar situations in Myamar. North Korea . And perhaps Russia from the look of their response to the recent tragedy in Ukraine.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 21, 2014, 12:34 pm

Even I understand your situation and I'd wager to say I'm probably about as far left as you will find in Udon so I don't like it, but sympathize. Comparing isn't always fair or maybe even correct, but the same situation exists in the US today only it is for the most part unwritten, for the most part. I carry laminated photo/info page, must get visa/extension page done same, same. Only time will tell. I was told last night up in Nong Khai by hotel people not to worry about passport for them, it was just a new guy. Believe me, I don't go anywhere without it being locked in truck anymore. Rules seem a bit more relaxed up there, but many still a bit on edge. Only time will tell if we are still here next year and under what circumstances. And with all the moaning, bitchin' and gripping going on, me included, I'm reminded of what my Senior Drill Instructor USMC Boot Camp said, "If the troops aren't bitichin' they aren't happy". He did his best to keep us bitchin'...lol. And frankly I would have attacked hell with him and a bucket of water and expected to win.

Return to “Udon Thani News”