Flooding in Udon Thani today

Udon Thani news, views and comments
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 5, 2014, 8:20 am

The bus (route) in question goes through Udon Thani, not around the ring road (Nong Khai to Nong Bua Lamphu).

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 5, 2014, 8:30 am

Indeed very heavy rainfall over night has left parts of town semi flooded , the ring rd storm drain was on the brink at 7.30 as i did the school run and traffic was horrendulus , the rain has just eased up after several hours of constant and heavy precipitation........ reminds me of Scunthorpe IN SUMMER !! without the hose pipe ban.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 5, 2014, 9:20 am

I poured out slightly over 2 inches (51mm) of overnight rain from our rain gage in Ban Jan this morning.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 5, 2014, 6:26 pm

I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking the problem was exclusive to First Homes. We still streets with flooding from last nights rain and it looks like a lot more to come, over the next week.

The farm Towns edge of Nong Bua an Nong Sai, most of the ponds full to capacity and running over. That was three days ago.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 5, 2014, 9:52 pm

Well, we had well OVER 2 inches last night, cannot say how much more because everything overflowed ..... water over topped a wall along the road and flooded part of the house to a depth of 4 inches, and all ponds now overflowing (they had risen by about 4 inches overnight). But most of the standing water quickly drained away and we were dry by 10 am. Been out and about twice in Udon during the day and no problems (also road to Nong Khai OK). So must say both our local and city drainage do seem to be working.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » September 6, 2014, 9:08 am

The 'never seen before' so high flooding in First Home had been caused by a blocked tube (the main one to get the water out) in the front of the development. Lots of trash and nonsense in there. That has been fixed yesterday, so it should not happen that quick again.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 6, 2014, 11:16 pm

The problem with many drains in Udon, especially those put in by the developer is that they tend to underestimate the size of pipe they require and with almost total lack of planning enforcement then they put in the smallest they can get away with to save money.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » September 8, 2014, 9:59 am

72 hours little or no Rain, things are looking better. "HANGING IN THERE SUNSHINE"

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 8, 2014, 10:11 am

The weather Dept really missed on this one, thank goodness.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 8, 2014, 10:21 am

Slightly off topic, but there are reports that China is about to release god knows how much water into the Mekong.
"Experts"? are suggesting the Mekong could rise by 3m next week, which could be a bit of a problem for Nong Khai as it is currently only 2.2m from flood level

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 16, 2014, 9:37 am

Poured 3.7 inches (94mm) of rain out of the gauge this morning in Ban Jan. Lightening and thunder big time last night.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 24, 2014, 9:05 am

Here in Ban Jan we got another 2.6 inches (66mm) of overnight rain. It currently looks like we could get a bit more before the day is out.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 29, 2014, 3:32 am

Not looking forward to going into town this morning after the damaging winds and severe rain experiencing now on the west side of town :shock:

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » September 29, 2014, 3:33 am

Was it as bad as when the AEK hospital sign fell orf in the high winds?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » September 29, 2014, 3:40 am

Certainly felt like it over here,a 10 min battering for sure,maybe just local,AEK is probably dry and can see the night sky there :shock:

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » September 29, 2014, 4:12 am

Good rain here in nong nakam still raining with thunder and lightning in the area, laye rice harvest this year.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 29, 2014, 8:03 am

Town is OK drove through it at 0710 this morning other areas I passed minor flooding, nowt to shout aboput. The rice farmers do not really need this, it could screw up their harvest.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 29, 2014, 8:39 am

1.7 inches (43mm) of rain in Ban Jan overnight.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » October 3, 2014, 2:15 pm

parrot wrote:For anyone thinking of raising the white flag on further rain, you might want to think again.......According to one report, the levels in reservoirs feeding the city are as follows, as of 19 Aug:
Banjan 70%
Sam Phat 51%
Huai Luang 25%

วันที่ 19 สิงหาคม 2557 ตรวจสอบน้ำในอ่างเก็บน้ำหลักของ จ.อุดรธานี อ่างบ้านจั่น 70 เปอร์เซนต์ , อ่างฯห้วยสามพาด 51 เปอร์เซนต์ , หนองหานกุมภวาปี (เรียงลำดับตามภาพ) ส่วนอ่างฯห้วยหลวงมีเพียง 25 เปอร์เซนต์...อุดรธานีฝนตกไม่ทั่วฟ้า
Those figures were from six weeks ago. I wonder what they are now? :-k

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/new ... 0020010005
Worse Drought Expected in 2015
Date : 2 ตุลาคม 2557

BANGKOK, 2 October 2014 (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) have cooperated in preparing plans to prevent more severe drought next year. They have encouraged all sectors to help save the water.

President of the MWA Charoen Phatsara said he had led the MWA executives to survey western water diversion routes (the Mae Klong river basin) with the Royal Irrigation Department after the MWA learnt that the water levels of major dams in the country were worrying low. The survey was part of their efforts to tackle next year’s drought situation expected to be worse than this year, said Mr. Charoen.

After the MWA and the department finished surveying the water diversion routes, they found that some of the routes needed to be improved so that water flowed faster and more sufficiently, said the MWA president.

Meanwhile, MWA Governor Thanasak Watthanathana said the MWA had been encouraging the general public, especially young people and adolescents, to consume water wisely and be aware of the value of water.

Director of the 13th Irrigation Office Prawatwit Sawatduang called on farmers to avoid planting off-season rice in order to preserve the ecological system and assured them that the department would do the utmost to efficiently manage water for them.
- See more at: http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/new ... sCK3k.dpuf

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 5, 2015, 7:19 pm

Maybe get some rain Thursday :-k
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-for ... Thani.html

Wonder how the Huai Luang reservoir is doing,percentage wise :-k

Return to “Udon Thani News”