Slip Slidin' Away

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by parrot » January 9, 2015, 7:18 pm

Apparently Ban Phue got some rain today......and a boatload of road accidents followed....9 exact.....slippery roads.

When it doesn't rain for several months.....oil/rubber builds up on the roads and results in an icy-like surface at the first hint of moisture on the roads. Things to think about!!
https://www.facebook.com/udon.today.news

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by jackspratt » January 9, 2015, 8:09 pm

I drove down to Chonburi yesterday. They had a fair bit of rain there during the afternoon, and I saw the results of 4 accidents within about 20km - all of which appeared attributable to wet roads.

And, I guess, the failure of drivers to adapt.

Macca
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Macca » January 9, 2015, 8:19 pm

jackspratt wrote:I drove down to Chonburi yesterday. They had a fair bit of rain there during the afternoon, and I saw the results of 4 accidents within about 20km - all of which appeared attributable to wet roads.

And, I guess, the failure of drivers to adapt.
or change the vehicle tyres in the last.......well ever

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by bigsnake » January 9, 2015, 9:22 pm

Do add a little EXTRA care at Night when the Road Surface is WET<>I Have 20 20 Vision and it a dark object with NO LIGHT! :-"

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Khun Paul » January 10, 2015, 5:41 am

YES, it really is amazing what many learnt in our own countries we tend to forget here. With the heat the laying of rubber on the roads is far more than lets say in the UK , but the effects are the same. Thai driving does not rely on thinking just reacting, as we can see by the speed and often annoying habits of brake lights going on for the slightest reason, when a little less ' umph ' will do the same job, ie slowing down the vehicle.
But we all know very few Thais can drive safely and at speed, so any problem on the roads be it a small dip or even a speed bump means violent braking often causing reaction from other drivers to avoid a badly trained and inexperienced driver who has no clue what to do , other than use the accelerator or the brake, going up or down the gearbox to assist is not taught and most definitely not thought about. ( yes you can do that in an automatic too ) .
So take care and be very careful out there .

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Nick@AUA » January 10, 2015, 8:15 am

You are absolutely correct KP.

One of the things that always amazes me here is this: When approaching a red light from distance, I usually slip the car into neutral as I approach from about 200-300 metres and 'coast' up to the lights. More times than I can remember cars speeding behind me flash their lights then overtake me on the inside, only to have to brake sharply at the red light...a full second ahead of me. What's that all about? Answers on a postcard please.

socksy
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by socksy » January 10, 2015, 8:18 am

Nick@AUA wrote:You are absolutely correct KP.

One of the things that always amazes me here is this: When approaching a red light from distance, I usually slip the car into neutral as I approach from about 200-300 metres and 'coast' up to the lights. More times than I can remember cars speeding behind me flash their lights then overtake me on the inside, only to have to brake sharply at the red light...a full second ahead of me. What's that all about? Answers on a postcard please.
Don't need a postcard Nick - back of a stamp would suffice.

******'S ;)

Stay in the same gear when you are approaching the light's and not in nuetral until you come to a halt. - that's the instruction in advanced driving course's.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by merchant seaman » January 10, 2015, 8:22 am

With Thai driver's being so bad as described b KP it is simple mind boggling why any sane person would even consider driving in Thailand.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by rjj04 » January 10, 2015, 9:24 am

Nick@AUA wrote:You are absolutely correct KP.

I do the same thing. My first clutch job or brake job on a new car was usually after 100,000 miles. Simply noticing that the traffic light you are approaching has turned from green to red and taking your foot off the accelerator and placing the transmission into neutral saves a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle, not to mention fuel expenditure. By the time you have arrived at the light you are usually still rolling when it turns green. You can turn it into a little challenge to see how far you can travel on the highway without the need to use the brakes :)

But, it is not just here that people will race up to the next red light, I noticed the same thing in the USA. Maybe these are the people that lease their vehicles?

rjj04
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by rjj04 » January 10, 2015, 9:33 am

Traffic deaths per 100,000, Thailand is 6th worse on this chart....

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/

Considering that #4 is Iraq and one imagines driving there involves dodging RPGs/IUDs/terrorists/etc Thailand is not in good company :)

rjj04
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by rjj04 » January 10, 2015, 9:38 am

By the way, I got hit by a truck yesterday whilst riding my mountain bike... luckily not much damage... be VERY careful out there, as I should have been (tired at end or 25km ride)!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by parrot » January 10, 2015, 11:31 am

socksy wrote: Stay in the same gear when you are approaching the light's and not in nuetral until you come to a halt. - that's the instruction in advanced driving course's.
I've also read that that's the general rule.....suppose the rule applies so that in the event you need to accelerate quickly (to avoid/maneuver) you can do so without reengaging the gears.

But in an effort to try to break 36 miles to a gallon in my 3.0L manual Vigo, if I see a red light ahead, I'm coasting in unless it looks like I'll hold up traffic (most times not).

Back on topic, I've been on icy-like roads (light rain after a prolonged dry spell) in a new truck with new tires. If I tried to juice the throttle just a bit around a corner, the truck would begin to lose traction.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Khun Paul » January 10, 2015, 12:28 pm

The main problem is that many drivers do NOT READ the road nor its conditions, look at the car in front of the car in front, watch junctions from afar, not when you get to them, always always indicate when changing lanes some do, most don't.
Drive to the speed of the road not the allowable road speed. Never never hog the fast lane as normally it is not the fastest.
Finally plan your route, you can avoid awkward right turns and 'U' turns if you think in advance where you want to go, which is unlike our host drivers who don't think, don'
t look and do a lot of praying.
learn to rad the small idiosyncrasies of Thai drivers eg:- motorcycle rider looks behind him ( even if he has mirrors ) you know he is about to change lane or even turn in front of you SLOWLY., or When they do a U trun on the maion roads, I am sure they think the car/lorry will topple over as they do it so DAMN slowly.

Take care and be careful, it is not the idiot you see on the road, it is THE IDIOT you don't see that is the problem.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by stattointhailand » January 10, 2015, 3:48 pm

Perhaps the reason they "undertake" you whilst slowing down at the lights, is probably for exactly the same reason I would.

For the first year or so here I used to just cruise up to red lights behind a slow moving vehicle, but on so many occasions, when the lights turned green, said slow moving vehicle continued to be just that, a slow moving vehicle with the driver seemingly unable to locate second gear either by choice or not, even though he was in the fast (overtaking) lane and buses/trucks/tuk-tuks push bikes etc; were all undertaking us on the inside lane.

Macca
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Macca » January 10, 2015, 5:33 pm

Just back in from town.
3 separate accidents on the 17km stretch from the ring road to turn off
Had been a very light shower, just enough for a nice greasy layer
All 3 were pick ups, no other vehicles involved in any of the incidents, and all on long straights.
2 of the vehicles over turned and looked a mess.
I would suggest speeding drivers having to brake hard after over taking only to loose control.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Nick@AUA » January 10, 2015, 6:58 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Perhaps the reason they "undertake" you whilst slowing down at the lights, is probably for exactly the same reason I would.

For the first year or so here I used to just cruise up to red lights behind a slow moving vehicle, but on so many occasions, when the lights turned green, said slow moving vehicle continued to be just that, a slow moving vehicle with the driver seemingly unable to locate second gear either by choice or not, even though he was in the fast (overtaking) lane and buses/trucks/tuk-tuks push bikes etc; were all undertaking us on the inside lane.
Good point. Thanks.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Jing Jing » January 11, 2015, 2:32 pm

The Thais never seem to turn their headlights when the lighting condition warrents it. They think the lights are for them to see and not for me to see their vehicle.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by old-timer » January 11, 2015, 3:51 pm

Jing Jing wrote:The Thais never seem to turn their headlights when the lighting condition warrents it. They think the lights are for them to see and not for me to see their vehicle.
And some Thais think they are somehow saving money by not turning on their headlights. I've actually heard this said by a Thai adult ( and not my wife although it wouldn't surprise me).

OT................. \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by jackspratt » January 11, 2015, 4:27 pm

My understanding (which may, or may not be correct) is that it is an offence in Thailand to drive with your headlights on during daylight hours.

That is a privilege which is reserved those of the highest ranking and bluest of blood.

Not that it has ever stopped me if the conditions require it.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Slip Slidin' Away

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 11, 2015, 4:37 pm

Don't know where you get that from Jack, please find a link. By law, motorcycles now under manufacture and sold into the Thai markets have to have their headlights hard wired into their ignition circuits.

From a conversation I had with my 'Taxi' driver in Laos, just recently, it is most definitely law over there - NO headlights in daylight hours. Maybe you are confusing the two having been there many times yourself?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Udon Thani News”