Sugar Cane News

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by parrot » January 12, 2016, 6:48 pm

City officials held a meeting on 11 Jan to discuss a high incidence of accidents involving sugar cane trucks. In just a little over a month, there have been 17 accidents with 5 deaths and 7 injuries involving sugar cane trucks in the Udon area. The Udon-KK highway has been closed for 54 hours as a result, with the Udon ring road closed for 3. One of the major causes of accidents involving the trucks is when sugar cane is loaded above the 4 meter legal limit. Farmers are asking for a loosening of restrictions this year as drought/lack of rain has caused their sugar cane yields to be lower than normal.
https://www.facebook.com/udon.today.news

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by FrazeeDK » January 12, 2016, 8:44 pm

so where's the cops?? If the trucks are packing the sugar cane in over the 4 meter limit so they're top heavy, they should be halted and forced to cross-load to another truck to get it legal.. they should have 60kph speed limits put on them too. Also, I sure would love to see the cops stop any sugar cane truck that dumps can on the roads.. its a very dangerous hazard particularly to motorcyclists...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by parrot » January 12, 2016, 9:21 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:so where's the cops?? If the trucks are packing the sugar cane in over the 4 meter limit so they're top heavy, they should be halted and forced to cross-load to another truck to get it legal.. they should have 60kph speed limits put on them too. Also, I sure would love to see the cops stop any sugar cane truck that dumps can on the roads.. its a very dangerous hazard particularly to motorcyclists...
One of the accidents indeed involved a female masseur going to work on her motorcycle (I believe in Kumphuwaphi)......and was killed when a truck spilled its contents on her.

wazza
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by wazza » January 13, 2016, 1:05 am

So the Farmers are missing the point, which is what Road Safety in Thailand is all about.

Wanting exemptions with proven root cause to the fatalities !!!

Tragic for the female who died

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 13, 2016, 6:43 am

FrazeeDK wrote:they should have 60kph speed limits put on them too. Also, I sure would love to see the cops stop any sugar cane truck that dumps can on the roads.. its a very dangerous hazard particularly to motorcyclists...
Most of these pieces of un-roadworthy junk are not capable of doing 60kmh :-#
We see em around here so overloaded they have to drive on the crest of the road for fear of either getting the load caught in trees or just simply the truck falling over! AND the effin drivers don't give a crap about other road users.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Techland
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by Techland » January 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

And they distroy the ringroad around Udon. Once again the tracks pressed into the asphalt have become so deep that it's really dangerous to use motorcycles, especially near traffic light stops.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by kubotatim » January 13, 2016, 5:00 pm

The trouble is the owners of the lorries are often high ranking police or pay so that the police turn the blind eye, so don't expect any changes this century.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 13, 2016, 6:47 pm

See them all the time ,,,most dangerous at night as poorly lit and maintained plus always way over loaded causing huge spillages on the roads and they just drive off for the next poor buggar to run into the mess they leave . Cant see owt being done as lots of tea goes to the powers that be to let em get away with it all .

Death traps
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

waanjai
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by waanjai » January 13, 2016, 10:22 pm

A typical case of overload
sugar cane-1.jpg
sugar cane-2.jpg
sugar cane-3.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by wazza » January 14, 2016, 1:34 am

Inappropriately dressed expat getting involved , or looking for his bike helmet ??

MALC
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by MALC » January 14, 2016, 5:33 am

why is he inappropriately dressed.he has a shirt on and most people wear shorts.during the day.

Barney
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by Barney » January 14, 2016, 6:22 am

wazza wrote:Inappropriately dressed expat getting involved , or looking for his bike helmet ??

Yes wazza correct,
But at least he is fitting right into the Thai culture and appears to not give a toss about the carnage. Life just goes on oblivious.

samster
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by samster » January 14, 2016, 1:16 pm

parrot wrote: One of the accidents indeed involved a female masseur going to work on her motorcycle (I believe in Kumphuwaphi)......and was killed when a truck spilled its contents on her.
I live in Kumphawapi - didn't hear about this incident but am sure you are correct as we have a big sugar factory and lorries are a constant menace.

20 minutes ago I was sat on my motorcycle at the main traffic lights (on red) and saw a lorry approaching behind me, doing about 30/40MPH, who was clearly not going to stop. Fortunately I was on the shoulder but he just ran the light without slowing down, narrowly missing a pick up correctly going through on green.

There is often a Police checkpoint at these lights and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had been there

parrot
udonmap.com

Sugar Cane News

Post by parrot » January 14, 2016, 1:54 pm

parrot wrote:
FrazeeDK wrote:so where's the cops?? If the trucks are packing the sugar cane in over the 4 meter limit so they're top heavy, they should be halted and forced to cross-load to another truck to get it legal.. they should have 60kph speed limits put on them too. Also, I sure would love to see the cops stop any sugar cane truck that dumps can on the roads.. its a very dangerous hazard particularly to motorcyclists...
One of the accidents indeed involved a female masseur going to work on her motorcycle (I believe in Kumphuwaphi)......and was killed when a truck spilled its contents on her.

Sorry about that, the accident occurred in WangSamMo (ต.วังสามหมอ)
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/552517

In fairness to all the people in the photo, "appears to not give a toss about the carnage", that's hardly a fair thing to say about a single photo....don't know when it was taken, don't know what if anyone knew what was under the sugar cane, etc etc.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Sugar Cane News

Post by parrot » January 19, 2022, 4:04 pm

Sugar cane trucks out in force......but haven't yet seen anyone burning a field (before harvest). Maybe it's a case of a developing country coming to grips with social ills like littering, smoking in public, letting your radiator drain into public sewage system, etc.
https://thainews.prd.go.th/th/news/prin ... 7221136472

On the positive side, somewhere in the past year or three, height restrictions seem to be obeyed now.
Attachments
265731836_769720967759622_5599190091565998914_n.jpg

msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » January 19, 2022, 4:46 pm

samster wrote:
January 14, 2016, 1:16 pm
I live in Kumphawapi - didn't hear about this incident but am sure you are correct as we have a big sugar factory and lorries are a constant menace.

20 minutes ago I was sat on my motorcycle at the main traffic lights (on red) and saw a lorry approaching behind me, doing about 30/40MPH, who was clearly not going to stop. Fortunately I was on the shoulder but he just ran the light without slowing down, narrowly missing a pick up correctly going through on green.

There is often a Police checkpoint at these lights and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had been there
I heard that the factory in muang Kumphawabi was closed down for good? Or are you referring to the factory on Udon KK highway?

/msa
Don’t worry about tomorrow. Today is terrifying enough.
I never forget a face, but in your case I can do an exception.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 19, 2022, 4:54 pm

Last nihhts Ch 32 Thairath news highlighted a high end village/ housing development obliterated by a sugar feild burning evening in Choburi .. the pictures were the worst ive seen it was like black snow n made a real mess of hones gardens cars swimming pools n washing .. local council officials and the police were summoned and the burner tracked down .. TO BE CONTINUED

Must admit this time of year was a nightmare in Buriram as burning was almost everyday as they ignired the law not to burn n did it during the night

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 19, 2022, 5:26 pm

The factory in Kumpawaphi closed last year after 74 years.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 19, 2022, 9:15 pm

parrot wrote:
January 19, 2022, 4:04 pm

Sugar cane trucks out in force......but haven't yet seen anyone burning a field (before harvest). Maybe it's a case of a developing country coming to grips with social ills
They are burning around where we live, some is after harvest but not all.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 20, 2022, 8:34 pm

guess they're preparing for the big burns. Two AQI sensor stations at Ban Na Kham and Ban Nong Sai on the east side have been off line for a few days now..
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani News”