Freight Train Wreck

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Freight Train Wreck

Post by parrot » January 28, 2017, 7:06 pm

A Bangkok-Nongkai freight train ran off the tracks at relatively high speed near the Nongtakai train station this morning, resulting in an estimated 10 million baht damages to the train and 2 million baht damages to the cargo (rubber).
The clip below contains a video (probably CCTV) of the crash
http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/news/detail/738136

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Freight Train Wreck

Post by FrazeeDK » January 29, 2017, 12:27 pm

Oh magoo, you've done it again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3UKJq_lxcM
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 1, 2022, 8:56 am

A train and cassava truck crossed each other's paths near the Ban Chan/ring road intersection last night, killing two.....I believe the two in the train's engine compartment.
The accident occurred in an area that's getting a lot of attention these days as 'plans' proceed for the high speed railway into Udon. There's talk of an underpass/overpass at the intersection, but a major concern is the nearby rail crossing.
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/2302996

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 1, 2022, 10:46 am

The train in last night's crash was a passenger train. Apparently none of the passengers were injured.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 1, 2022, 11:31 am

It would appear that the lorry driver could not SEE a train ......Truly amazing

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 1, 2022, 1:49 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 1, 2022, 11:31 am
It would appear that the barriers never dropped. Do you slow down or stop and look both ways at a MANNED crossing when the barriers are up?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 1, 2022, 2:10 pm

I wouldn't pass judgement on the truck driver too quickly.....as I heard the news on the TV, the crossing was due to be upgraded to an automatic barrier, versus the manned barrier that requires human intervention. One would think there'd be CCTV cameras at a place like that.....but then, SRT????

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 1, 2022, 4:15 pm

tamada wrote:
February 1, 2022, 1:49 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
February 1, 2022, 11:31 am
It would appear that the barriers never dropped. Do you slow down or stop and look both ways at a MANNED crossing when the barriers are up?
In simple terms yes, even more so here, my vehicle and a train meeting is not conducive to a longer life . Caution as with most driving anywhere is the byword, normally .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 1, 2022, 5:05 pm

There is a level crossing about 100m from my house, for the first 10 yrs or so it had no barriers of any kind and there were several "accidents" . Even though automatic barriers and flashing lights were installed several years ago I still slow down and check both ways before attempting to drive over it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 4, 2022, 8:24 am

Alcohol tests: Truck driver - neg. Barrier operator - pos. https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/2302996

Nongkai Hwy (near Homehub) rail crossing......Toolpro/ring road crossing......KK Hwy/ring road crossing: I can only imagine the traffic backups if everyone comes to a stop at the rail crossing and looks both ways before passing. It's akin to everyone stopping at a green light at a 4way intersection to be sure there's no oncoming traffic.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 4, 2022, 9:28 am

I agree, but THOSE crossings are properly maintained and managed by more often than not a MAN who copntrols what is happening , although one never sees him, but he is around.
It is the un-manned ones and the barrier-less ones that are of concern .
At the moment the frequency of trains on the SINGLE track is infrequent and not that fast moving , however as I was told one on a training exercise eons ago, familiarity breeds contempt , a lesson to all, just because it never happens does not mean it will not happen . It is those occasions that cause the most harm and damage.
Driving therefore more so here is a dangerous pastime and LACK of Concentration and not paying attention is the main culprit .

Quote anything you like , human error (by mistake or fault ) is the main problem of most accidents

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 4, 2022, 11:46 am

parrot wrote:
February 4, 2022, 8:24 am
Alcohol tests: Truck driver - neg. Barrier operator - pos. https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/northeast/2302996

Nongkai Hwy (near Homehub) rail crossing......Toolpro/ring road crossing......KK Hwy/ring road crossing: I can only imagine the traffic backups if everyone comes to a stop at the rail crossing and looks both ways before passing. It's akin to everyone stopping at a green light at a 4way intersection to be sure there's no oncoming traffic.
That Thairath link is the same as in the OP. It doesn't say anything about anyone being tested for alcohol.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 4, 2022, 12:40 pm

The driver of the 18 wheeler was tested at the site of the accident, having a (alcohol level) of zero.
As for the individual at the control area (RR), the breathalizer and blood test both detected alcohol.
เมื่อเหตุเกิดในพื้นที่ของการรถไฟ สำหรับการตรวจแอลกอฮอล์ โชเฟอร์รถพ่วง 18 ล้อ, พขร. และช่างเครื่อง มีค่าเป็น 0

ส่วนพนักงานควบคุมเครื่องกั้น ทั้งแบบเป่าและตรวจจากเลือด พบว่ามีแอลกอฮอล์.\
https://www.thairath.co.th/news/crime/2305930
Sorry about the wrong link

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 4, 2022, 4:00 pm

so were the safety gates up or down? Or was the RR "operator" that tested positive for alcohol drunk in his little shack? Plus, aren't thos particular barriers automatic ones? I seem to recall stopping at that grade crossing a few times as the barriers came down...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 4, 2022, 4:39 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 4, 2022, 4:00 pm
so were the safety gates up or down? Or was the RR "operator" that tested positive for alcohol drunk in his little shack? Plus, aren't thos particular barriers automatic ones? I seem to recall stopping at that grade crossing a few times as the barriers came down...
As I read it (and see it when passing by), the barriers require human intervention, I'd guess from inside the shack.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 4, 2022, 6:19 pm

parrot wrote:
February 4, 2022, 4:39 pm
FrazeeDK wrote:
February 4, 2022, 4:00 pm
As I read it (and see it when passing by), the barriers require human intervention, I'd guess from inside the shack.
The English translation of the second linked article is a bit mangled but suggests that there was some form of barrier malfunction and the crossing guard either had difficulty with or had no time to roll out the long, wheeled metal emergency stop barrier that's stored in a paved slot each side of the crossing. Not indication if the alcohol was a major contributing factor but it probably didn't help. It definitely won't help his case.

I just crawled through the level crossing (grade) near ToolPro on the north side and noted the east/south lanes wheeled stop barrier is where it ought to be but the one on the west/north bound lanes is missing. Since they have done more road widening work on that side, maybe it's away getting lengthened?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » February 4, 2022, 7:02 pm

i never really paid much attention to guy in hut

but of course there must be some manual involvement in lowering barrier or sliding one
into place for freight& passenger trains.
turning on flashing lights even

Return to “Udon Thani News”