Big Brother?

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Big Brother?

Post by parrot » February 8, 2017, 2:29 pm

13.438 CCTV cameras installed in Udon province. Sounds like a lot....of that number, reportedly 95%ish are operational. Residents suffering from Chuck McGill-like syndrome would be advised to bundle up in foil before venturing out.
http://www.homecable.co.th/home-news/lo ... %E0%B8%A3/

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Re: Big Brother?

Post by Liam Dale » February 8, 2017, 2:34 pm

JUST received a police notice today "instructing" me to install ext CCTV Camera on the gaff and tune it into their IP addy..(user name n password provided).. so THEY can watch the ROAD at MY elex expense! (Tempted to turn it upside down).. but all is good in the land of Pry n Mighty. 13.439 now.. after my adventures in a Thai roofing space.. shouldnt have worn white today for sure.. Land of the gnongu..

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 8, 2017, 7:55 pm

all well and good but are they actually doing anything proactively with them.. There's a U-Turn on 22 on the East side where it is illegal to do a U-Turn at that location coming west toward town because there is no cut to allow a safe U-Turn.. However, I constantly see folks making that illegal U-Turn with the butt-end of their car blocking the passing lane. There is a CCTV camera pointed at that U-Turn about 30 meters east of it so if its working they can see the dozens of folks making that illegal U-Turn... Perhaps they only pull up the Video recordings after a major accident?
Dave

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 8, 2017, 8:51 pm

Well as to traffic they could care less who dies. And besides now they can just mail out penalties. It's like a cash machine. Better to not fix the traffic problem, let's keep it raking in THB.

They like having CCTV more they can catch bank robbers etc. when and if they are motivated to do so?

Jacksonthai

Post by Jacksonthai » February 8, 2017, 11:10 pm

Except for the genuine innocent and there are some If the crazy drivers are left too it then given enough time it sound like a continuation of natural selection , as Charles Darwin 's theory of evolution

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » February 10, 2017, 7:33 am

FrazeeDK wrote:all well and good but are they actually doing anything proactively with them.. There's a U-Turn on 22 on the East side where it is illegal to do a U-Turn at that location coming west toward town because there is no cut to allow a safe U-Turn.. However, I constantly see folks making that illegal U-Turn with the butt-end of their car blocking the passing lane. There is a CCTV camera pointed at that U-Turn about 30 meters east of it so if its working they can see the dozens of folks making that illegal U-Turn... Perhaps they only pull up the Video recordings after a major accident?
I am very familiar with that Illegal U-Turn also. I have had several close calls at that U-Turn because of individuals abruptly stopping and blocking the lane in order to make that illegal U-Turn. I see allot of camera's around town and I often wonder how many of those camera's are functional.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 11, 2017, 2:41 pm

pf-flyer, I've given eye-ball WTF shrugs to any number of idiots doing the illegal u-turn at that location and generally get the "I'll just ignore the pissed-off farang" or the goofy smile and wai.. All the while I"m just waiting for some 18 wheeler to collide with the morons and push them right into me.. So, nowadays I'll go the additional couple of kilometers past the LPG/7-11 further east to the next U-Turn which is much safer...
Dave

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » February 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:pf-flyer, I've given eye-ball WTF shrugs to any number of idiots doing the illegal u-turn at that location and generally get the "I'll just ignore the pissed-off farang" or the goofy smile and wai.. All the while I"m just waiting for some 18 wheeler to collide with the morons and push them right into me.. So, nowadays I'll go the additional couple of kilometers past the LPG/7-11 further east to the next U-Turn which is much safer...
I am aware that we need to stay in the context of this thread but I just want to say to everybody stay alert and be careful out there. I do the same thing. About one year ago we were rear ended while sitting at the red light at Nong Han by a young kid that was trying to out run the police in a Isusu pickup. He backed up after he hit us started to take off. The policeman that was chasing him with a motor bike caught up with him while the Isusu pickup was pulling away and he pulled out his pistol and fired shots at the truck while he was speeding away. The policeman on the motor bike took off after him and A policeman that was near by in a pickup caught him later on. There are several cameras at that intersection and none of them were used. I have a piece of advice. Do not try to out run the police. They will shoot.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 11, 2017, 4:26 pm

like the cops down near Bangkok that were trying to shoot out the tires of a guy that was crashing into cars attempting to get away?? I had to ask the wife, "why didn't they just shoot the guy in the head, the cop was standing right near the driver's door?" She didn't have an answer for that one. I just can't imagine shooting multiple rounds to flatten tires with bullets spanging all around the 20-30 cars jammed into that intersection with a fellow crashing back and forth into cars putting the lives of several cops and multiple other car occupants in jeopardy.
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani News”