Udon International School

Post by parrot » June 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

No more information than what's at
http://www.santhaya.com/projects/detail/35

rct
udonmap.com

Udon International School

Post by rct » June 23, 2018, 11:09 am

Parrot and for anyone, I'll be waiting to see more information on this. We could easily end up back in Udon if the school situation met our expectations.

Meanwhile, after 9 years in Udon, with two kids now in 4th and 6th grade, we recently relocated back to Phuket mainly for school reasons. Our kids are attending Kajonkietsuksa School, a hybrid combining both English and Thai, the emphasis is probably 70%+ English, at prices that are not too crazy, about 150,000 baht per year per child. Class size limited to 25 with the room shared by a Thai and a native English speaking teacher, four rooms per grade level. This compares to up to 50 kids per class with a Thai teacher, at Don Bosco, a school that we do like by the way.

See the KS Phuket facility here, also about 1200 students in total:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRl3AmG-lng

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Udon International School

Post by tamada » June 24, 2018, 6:08 pm

rct wrote:
June 23, 2018, 11:09 am
Parrot and for anyone, I'll be waiting to see more information on this. We could easily end up back in Udon if the school situation met our expectations.

Meanwhile, after 9 years in Udon, with two kids now in 4th and 6th grade, we recently relocated back to Phuket mainly for school reasons. Our kids are attending Kajonkietsuksa School, a hybrid combining both English and Thai, the emphasis is probably 70%+ English, at prices that are not too crazy, about 150,000 baht per year per child. Class size limited to 25 with the room shared by a Thai and a native English speaking teacher, four rooms per grade level. This compares to up to 50 kids per class with a Thai teacher, at Don Bosco, a school that we do like by the way.

What's to like about any school that consistently has a very poor student to teacher ratio?

Back on topic; if this new ICS school is indeed owned by the International School Educational Foundation, what's the rating/status of their Bang Na campus that advertises as being "a coeducational day school, offering an American college preparatory curriculum to the international community in Bangkok"? There's no mention of this new school on their website at the moment.

It's good to have alternatives though.

mortsyn
udonmap.com

Post by mortsyn » June 25, 2018, 4:08 pm

rct wrote:
June 23, 2018, 11:09 am

I live in Udon Thani and my kids 1st grade and 4th grade both in the new English program at Don Bosco. There are two rooms for 1st grade and two rooms for 4th grade. Max class size 30 but my sons class is 25. Each class has both Thai and English teachers assigned and my guess is that 80% or more is in English and less than 20% is in Thai. Price is 70.000 per year per child.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 28, 2018, 5:45 pm

I wish I had more info to post.....but the attachments are all that's posted on https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... &page=2652
Attachments
image-A6B2_5B345C89.jpg
image-DD88_5B345C89.jpg

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 28, 2018, 5:50 pm

The picture above is the same location as the new St Marys School.
It is a very large building so I guess it could also be an International School

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 28, 2018, 6:35 pm

based on the map, it appears it will be immediately west of Holy Mary UdonThani School. https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E0%B ... 02.8158924
Dave

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 28, 2018, 6:48 pm

St Marys has bought land to possibly expand next to there present location. My son attends this school and I am very happy with the standard, he went to international schools in Phuket and Bangkok, this school is a lot better.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 28, 2018, 7:54 pm

fatbob wrote:
June 28, 2018, 6:48 pm
St Marys has bought land to possibly expand next to there present location. My son attends this school and I am very happy with the standard, he went to international schools in Phuket and Bangkok, this school is a lot better.
It is OK to call the School an International School BUT do they have a curriculum which they teach to & are checked & appraised by International teachers appointed only in the UK or USA to to be recognized as an International School.

Also they have to approved by the governing bodies & affiliated to an International body.
Hopefully they are working towards these aims.

I know the Regents Pattaya were very keen to team up with a school in Udon & Khon Kean as they asked me to recommend some schools as I lived here & my son was attending the Regents at the time

My son attended International school sat ST Stephens Khao Yai & Regents Pattaya both of which had all his work appraised by the relevant International bodies before he was given an official Certificate.

Your child's qualifications may be worthless if they are not recognized by the two governing bodies which award the qualifications.

One is UK the other is American.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 28, 2018, 8:32 pm

Fatbob sorry for jumping in here and correct if I am wrong BUT NO ONE has said St Mary's is an International School

PAL52 and anyone else

My Daughter is a student of St Mary's and after attending a reputable school in Udonthani I believe she is receiving a better school both academically, health wise facility wise and her English Thai and Chinese is GREAT They teach Phonics which was not available in Udonthani that I am aware of

I am continually presented with this argument of "Well it isn't a UK or USA based education" I didn't sign up for that nor did my daughter If I wanted that I would MOVED to UK or USA

I have a friend in Pattaya who has a son that was brought up in the THAI SYSTEM and is now a renowned Architect working in Asia and if Dollars are the indicator of success he is doing very well

But if you have visions of your children MOVING to the USA or UK go for it and get them an International Schooling Education

I wish all success

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 29, 2018, 6:40 am

Doodoo wrote:
June 28, 2018, 8:32 pm
Fatbob sorry for jumping in here and correct if I am wrong BUT NO ONE has said St Mary's is an International School

PAL52 and anyone else.

Neither did I, your point being?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 29, 2018, 11:21 am

pal52 wrote:
June 28, 2018, 5:50 pm
It's Holy Mary Udonthani School, not St Mary's which is on Nittayo in Meuang Udon Thani.

Unless St. Mary's on Nittayo has bought land out on 2 @ 2021 (behind Holy Mary) as well as this new ICS school, we may be talking a cross purposes.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 29, 2018, 1:33 pm

tamada wrote:
June 29, 2018, 11:21 am
pal52 wrote:
June 28, 2018, 5:50 pm
It's Holy Mary Udonthani School, not St Mary's which is on Nittayo in Meuang Udon Thani.

Unless St. Mary's on Nittayo has bought land out on 2 @ 2021 (behind Holy Mary) as well as this new ICS school, we may be talking a cross purposes.
Pal52 I dare say meant Holy Mary not St Mary's, as that is what is shown on the satellite picture. Holy Mary has purchased land at the rear of the existing school.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 29, 2018, 4:02 pm

You are correct fatbob I did mean Holy Mary not St Marys.
I live across the highway from the school.

About 3 years ago The Regents School held seminars in Khon Kean & at the Centara Hotel in Udon to see if there was interest in International schooling.

The Holy Mary school buildings are very large (4 levels) so I thought maybe an International School which has all the accreditation's already may go into partnership with Holy Mary to open a International School at the same location.

This is only a thought on my part but not beyond possibility which also would be good for Udon.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 30, 2018, 3:47 pm

This might be a timely new venture since tam jr. probably only has 1 more year at Udon Christian before he caps out and we go shopping for something for his Mattayom years.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 30, 2018, 7:57 pm

Holy Mary seems to be perfect, my son loves it and enjoys going every day. We had the international schools in Phuket and Bangkok. To attend a school that has 'International' affiliation with some private school (*****) in the US, UK or where ever has absolutely no interest for me, why, because the yearly price would go from 70k per year to 1 million or more and way out of my reach, and for what? School gives you the stepping stone, its up to Mum and Dad to instill the basics and the learning curve of hard knocks, employment potential is based on performance, school will never deliver this, attitude might and discipline taught again from Mum and Dad.
Bye bye Udon Map.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 29, 2020, 4:22 pm

There's an update on construction of the International Community School (Nongkai Hwy) at
https://www.facebook.com/68068484206098 ... =3&theater

The school will be just up the road from Holy Mary School.

Return to “Udon Thani News”