Griper's Corner

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Griper's Corner

Post by parrot » July 26, 2021, 2:52 pm

I was reading about a bar that's being renovated......might have a corner set up for habitual gripers about all things Thai. That got me to thinking about how depressing it must be to live in a foreign country and be forever complaining about things where you've chosen to live. It'd be one thing if you were in the military and assigned overseas against your will (amazing the number of military guys who'd complain about the lack of blonde American girls in Taiwan back in the 70's), but when you pack your own bags and buy your own ticket to settle down in some nook of the world.......one would think you're a fortunate individual to be able to do so.
And so, a bit of good news for those who don't read the local press:
A young woman (looks to be 19ish) found 48,000 Baht sitting outside an ATM machine near Tawan Daeng and brought it to the police station in hopes of returning it to its owner https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/%E0%B9 ... 1%E0%B8%9A

It's not uncommon to see postings of people who've found a dropped wallet or forgotten purse or ID/ATM card......it seems most always the items are claimed by grateful owners.

Likewise with abandoned/injured cats/dogs.....a lot of people post about these animals and from time to time someone will step up and adopt the animal. Our latest cat came from AEC Clinic. I told them we were looking for a new cat.......a week or two later, they called me and said someone brought in an injured cat and hoped someone would adopt it. When I offered to pay the bills for the foot injury, they said the bill had already been paid.

Today, stopped at the red light just before the right hand turn at Charoen Hotel (to Makro), the van in front of me didn't move.....I thought it was stalled. I decided to swing around him to get through the light. It turned out a girl on a stalled motorcycle was in front of the van. By the time I made it through the intersection, the light was red.....and of course the police checkpoint was just past the Charoen. I knew I blew it, I pulled over, was directed to the desk where I explained what happened. All smiles....nice conversation about the covid situation and life in Thailand. It's times like that that make me feel fortunate......knowing what a similar traffic violation would cost in the US....in time, points, money, insurance.

Having spent 13 months marooned in the US due to covid, my wife and I have a renewed appreciation for life in Thailand......covid-be-damned. Life is good. I may even pop in to have the prescription for my rose-colored glasses upgraded for old age.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Griper's Corner

Post by stattointhailand » July 26, 2021, 3:03 pm

Agree with most parrot, but couldnt help having a chuckle about this bit

It'd be one thing if you were in the military and assigned overseas against your will (amazing the number of military guys who'd complain about the lack of blonde American girls in Taiwan back in the 70's)

Please Sir I know I wanted a nice uniform, but mummy wont be happy if i'm not home for tea

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 26, 2021, 3:27 pm

For the most part on UM there are very few constant gripers on all things Thai .. i can only think of a couple of members that post regularly here ...oh and vlad whose moved on to pastures new... in many cases a rant or whinge emminating from a seasoned experienced resident expat is tongue in cheek and should be treated as such .. go with the flow , smile , no fuss created no face loss abide by the law and respect the culture and all will be fine...

Over to you KP :lol: :lol:

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 26, 2021, 4:19 pm

The vast majority of gripes I see/comment on are what would more reasonably be called The Bloopers reel where things we are used to happening without thinking, are for some reason, Usually cultural, far more difficult here.

Todays pet gripe ....... why do Tescos start to clear away their fresh/fish and meat counters sometimes 3 hours before closing time? Surely they must realise that they are losing custom by doing this

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 26, 2021, 4:46 pm

I for one have to admit that i have "complanied"alot about..well i guess,pretty much everything here in Thailand,it took me some honest "soulsearching"to get to grips WHY..The answer stood right infront of me when i was looking at myself in the mirror..I WAS THE PROBLEM,not the Thais..so what to do..well while working whith myself i understood that i have to change a few things,nothing to do with Thais,ONLY ME..That's the truth,and while realizing that i made a plan.

*EVERY MORNING SALUT GOD AND BE THANKFULL THAT HE NEVER CAST JUDGMENT UPON ME.HE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE PATIENT AND ALL LOVING NO HATE OR BITTERNESS.

*MEDITATION/PRAYERS

I said to myself that would try very hard to NOT post anything here on UM whithout FIRST give my self a chance to WAIT,rethink if i really should post anything..answering a post.If i can manage that i think i can honestly post something whith more substance,then just some not-so-well-thaught-out (read BS post)..and i think that a manage to acomplish just that...more quality posts..And i can say i'm quite proud of myself.

Another thing is as a Farang here,spells LANGUAGE..if you can just put in some daliy efforts to learn a few thing in Thai,i can't tell you how much Thais love that and most of all,you get a smile while trying..no one is perfect..Honestly it makes my day.

Little story from 2 days ago,got a parking ticket,i asked the Policeman,jokingly,how much is the ticket,he replye,so i said can you give me a disscount?The sum i usually i think 400Bath..so i was happy to recive a bot of only 200Bath..I thanked him and went to pay my fine.All convo done in that and whith a smile.
At the Police station i gave the Policeman my ticket to pay..Then he said..400Bath..i replyed in Thai that his college who gave me the ticket said 200Bath..i said please phone and check,which he did,he said..200Bath okey..we both smile and i payed the 200Bath.All this coversation was done by me in a none perfect Thai,atleast some of it..So it goes to show that Thailand is something to happy about,i love Thailand now more then just a few years ago..because i schoose to try to CHANGE MYSELF,not the Thais..that's it.But the change came after 20 years here fulltime..yeah i know..a bit on the slow side ;-)But it's NEVER to late to try..right?

And what happened with my suggestion that someone start a BS thread,were we can complie all those BS for everyone to post..just that..BS.And keep the other threads more or less BS free.What you say guys?

No time for some food..all this writing made me hungry ;-)

Thanks to everybody who atleast try hard not to post BS whithout..STOP-THINK-ACT first.

Stay healthy and strong..Thanks for reading my "rant" today..//Alfie..:-)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 26, 2021, 4:48 pm

parrot wrote:
July 26, 2021, 2:52 pm

Today, stopped at the red light just before the right hand turn at Charoen Hotel (to Makro), the van in front of me didn't move.....I thought it was stalled. I decided to swing around him to get through the light. It turned out a girl on a stalled motorcycle was in front of the van. By the time I made it through the intersection, the light was red.....and of course the police checkpoint was just past the Charoen. I knew I blew it, I pulled over, was directed to the desk where I explained what happened. All smiles....nice conversation about the covid situation and life in Thailand. It's times like that that make me feel fortunate......knowing what a similar traffic violation would cost in the US....in time, points, money, insurance.
& there was me thinking you were going to tell us how you pulled over to help the damsel in distress & then berated the police for just watching from nearby when they’d signed up to serve & protect. Never mind
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 27, 2021, 8:00 am

DMs gripe of the day ... (not a whinge or serious just a little gripe)

Bloody bin men .. whilst all who use the nearest bin correctly by bagging up their rubbish it always seems the refuge /trash collectors can manage to burst the one bag that contains the stinky food left overs fish heads n black balar gunge leaving a nasty trail to which local dogs seem to love... good job ive got my PPE suit , marigold gloves and pressure washer at the ready to go and clean it up.

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on July 27, 2021, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 27, 2021, 8:06 am

Is anyone man enough to complain about the scarcity of blondes in Udon? 8)
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 27, 2021, 11:20 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 27, 2021, 8:00 am
DMs gripe of the day ... (not a whinge or serious just a little gripe)

Bloody bin men .. whilst all who use the nearest bin correctly by bagging up their rubbish it always seems the refuge /trash collectors can manage to burst the one bag that contains the stinky food left overs fish heads n black balar gunge leaving a nasty trail to which local dogs seem to love... good job ive got my PPE suit , marigold gloves and pressure washer at the ready to go and clean it up.

DM
Hope you didnt get your PPE from Mat Hancock :-"

Mrs Statts had a bit of a clearout ......... (I survived ..... just), and she filled both bins to overflowing ,along with 3 boxes of rubbish and half a dozen bags for life that have now died ........ awfully nice binmen took it all ,,,,, no problem =D>

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 27, 2021, 11:27 am

No Tool Pro same as the pressure washer n gloves ..

DMs second daily gripe ..noise pollution .. Voodoo fortune teller guy next door doin his chanting n bell ringing whilst im trying to finish an origami project.

DM

Return to “Udon Thani News”