Ringroad/KK Hwy Intersection

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Ringroad/KK Hwy Intersection

Post by parrot » September 15, 2021, 6:20 pm

It'll likely be a few years, but just like the NK/Ringroad intersection, it's going to happen. The public has an opportunity to provide input (contrary to what many think)
https://www.banchan-interchange.com/

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Ringroad/KK Hwy Intersection

Post by tamada » September 15, 2021, 7:22 pm

Looks like a road widening (and a maybe a flyover?) but I reckon just like the previous couple of unimpressive ring-road 'improvements', the VAST MAJORITY OF HEAVY TRAFFIC will still have to wait at traffic lights.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 15, 2021, 8:21 pm

It's probably too early to know what's planned, but the flyer says ทางแยกต่างระดับ .....different levels.....so could be a fly over or a tunnel and fly over. That intersection was under many feet of water during the great flood of 2000AD......and we haven't had a replay since.....but I'd guess that'll be a factor to consider

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 16, 2021, 6:49 am

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, as Honda have just undergone a major rebuild and refurbishment, although I did noptive that their frontage was curtailed, so maybe that is an indication that a flyover along the Ring Road is suggested , with as Tan said the Heavy Traffic having to stop and turn right

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 16, 2021, 7:36 am

why not just a 4-5 lane roundabout??
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 16, 2021, 7:47 am

All this talk of intersections has me aroused .. having just gone through living next to Udons premier AP/RR junction during its makeover i can say its worth it and the end result is smashing ... this proposed KK RR project would see the whole ring road and its intersections completed and easy to transit. Its is a huge 4 way junction and IMO just a flyover would suffice no tunnel required...but it would be very disruptive for a considerable length of time.

Good call Dave a big roundabout may work .. but could get messy unless light controlled

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 16, 2021, 8:13 am

single roundabout gets messy 4-5 lane one would be horrendous

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 16, 2021, 9:09 am

Oh, that'll be a photo opportunity......the sight of 18 wheelers in roundabouts

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 16, 2021, 3:08 pm

Woohoo

When this eventually kicks off I’ll be able to give live progress updates due to Chez Niggles being in close proximity.

You can thank me later 👍
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 16, 2021, 4:51 pm

parrot wrote:
September 16, 2021, 9:09 am
Oh, that'll be a photo opportunity......the sight of 18 wheelers in roundabouts
Will be having the same sights in UK soon when Bojo's "make the HGV test unfailable" proceedure gets adopted :lol:

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 17, 2021, 12:04 pm

To be honest, the bit I’m struggling with is why invest so much money at this intersection at all.
I use this bit of highway quite a few times just about everyday & there aren’t any significant hold ups. You might have to wait a couple of light changes, maybe 5 mins, at peak times if the Plods are stopping everyone by the rail tracks but that’s about it.
I’m not aware of any major accidents either so it can’t really be considered a dangerous place

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 17, 2021, 12:14 pm

Niggly wrote:
September 17, 2021, 12:04 pm
To be honest, the bit I’m struggling with is why invest so much money at this intersection at all.
I use this bit of highway quite a few times just about everyday & there aren’t any significant hold ups. You might have to wait a couple of light changes, maybe 5 mins, at peak times if the Plods are stopping everyone by the rail tracks but that’s about it.
I’m not aware of any major accidents either so it can’t really be considered a dangerous place
I'll venture a guess that it's the government looking toward the future (high speed rail, Industrial Park, city growth, ?potash?, plus smaller things like the museum at Wat Ban That......rather than as things are now.

I questioned the Big C flyover and the Lotus tunnel......but like the newly completed airport intersection, when all's said and done, they've improved traveling around the city. That said, I agree the city will have to find a way to deal with the big trucks at the airport intersection.......and no doubt, they'll figure it out.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 17, 2021, 12:55 pm

^ yes, although the vast majority of trucks coming from Khon Kaen already use the slip road to turn left clockwise onto the ring road & it’s not light controlled. They’re never any hold ups there. I still can’t see what could be done improve it for future volumes of traffic.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 17, 2021, 2:08 pm

Spoke too soon.
All traffic going clockwise on the ring road was just gridlocked & all the vehicles, many trucks, coming down towards the slip road were backing up past the college effectively closing a lane completely.

I couldn’t see what had happened as was just doing a U’y at the lights to double back for 7-11

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 17, 2021, 4:23 pm

ah, but we're still waiting on the outer ring road which will allow the larger truck traffic traveling to Sakon Nakon, Nong Bua Lamphu and Nong Khai to avoid the city completely. What's the status of it??
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 17, 2021, 4:30 pm

I cannot wait for the daily reports of the situation should it happen, makes for better reading than many posts .
I always thought the Honda Junction as it is called has always been a bottleneck especially when the lorries and trailers are all wishing to go to Nong Khai .
There ios no doubt anything would ease the holdups, following on from the Ring Road being fully dual carriageway an upgrade of the busy junctions is needed to ensure smoother traffic flows.
One always wondered why halfway along the newly dualed ring road, why they did not put ion an underpass for straight on , they have the hill and the crossover traffic was not that onerous would not need a huge bridge, do away with a set of traffic lights.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 17, 2021, 5:03 pm

I keep forgetting about that.

More pressingly, there’s a nasty pothole on the village main street that needs sorting too. It can’t be avoided if there’s on coming traffic & bbq chicken lady has a customer parked in front

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 19, 2021, 3:03 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
September 17, 2021, 4:30 pm
I cannot wait for the daily reports of the situation should it happen, makes for better reading than many posts .
I aim to please, you’re welcome

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 23, 2021, 10:41 am

https://udontoday.co/220964/?fbclid=IwA ... ojelrT8abM
Lots of things to take into consideration at the intersection in question......high levels of traffic between KK and NK, flood problems in the Banchan area, nearby rail line, billion+ Baht budget item. Not much doubt in my mind this will be on the drawing board for some time.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 23, 2021, 3:49 pm

did I miss it or was there zero information about the outside ring road which would alleviate the problems experienced at the intersection by a large amount?? Oh, if the dual track SRT 1 meter has to stay on ground level due to the approach path of the airport then why do they show the high speed rail elevated? Why not just put all 4 tracks on an elevated platform???
Dave

Return to “Udon Thani News”