Effin Yellow Book

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Effin Yellow Book

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 5, 2022, 5:50 pm

And my on going saga spanning about 17 years since it was introduced:-

1st. Attempt about 2005:-
Mrs. Dero, being a Puay Baan approached her boss in Ban Dung and asked the question=
Farang Passport with a 12 month visa/extension.
Birth Certificate, and translation.
Letter from Immigration show my Thai address.
Village elders and others to attend to confirm who I am.

The application was refused as the Birth Certificate translation did not have a Chan Wattana stamp on it. Was Ok when we were married in Bangkok.

2nd Attempt:-
3 years later Mrs Dero and I were in transit between Aus and here. Had some time to kill so went into the Embassy. Had them confirm my birth certificate and certified copy which they did. Took it to Chan Wattana and they refused to stamp it as the translation was not done by one of their minions down stairs. CORRUPTION
Mrs. Dero had to drag me out of the place for fear I would be arrested.

3rd Attempt, yesterday:-
Once again Mrs Dero is waring a uniform with all the bling. As apart on the job she gets supa cheap life insurance for herself and spouse (1Mill Baht) Farang now included. I had to go through heaps of BS to get the documentation in order.
They wanted a Yellow Book, TW insisted that will not happen. Any way we went to the Amphor office:-
New hoops in writing:-
Passport and visa translated into Thai and certified at Chan Wattana = WTF
Letter of address from Immigration.
Puay Baan and 3 village elders to confirm my residency.
AND we will talk about the corruption on the day.
Mrs. Dero told him to fu##k off on my behalf.

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Effin Yellow Book

Post by stattointhailand » October 5, 2022, 6:09 pm

Cant understand why you keep having probs Dero.
About 20 yrs ago visited Ampher Udon with passport/marriage cert/ wifes house book. Got told to return in 7 days (from memory) went back and yellow book waiting to be picked up

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 5, 2022, 7:02 pm

Got mine Feb 2021. New lady at udon thani amphur. I suspect a farang hater. Gave me hell, took 30+ days and lots tea money. Glad I persevered, a mate with me was flat out refused despite a 15 year relationship. She said no marriage on yellow card.

Pink card then took 4 more hours.

My experience yours may be different
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 5, 2022, 7:48 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 5, 2022, 5:50 pm
And my on going saga spanning about 17 years since it was introduced:-

1st. Attempt about 2005:-
Mrs. Dero, being a Puay Baan approached her boss in Ban Dung and asked the question=
Farang Passport with a 12 month visa/extension.
Birth Certificate, and translation.
Letter from Immigration show my Thai address.
Village elders and others to attend to confirm who I am.

The application was refused as the Birth Certificate translation did not have a Chan Wattana stamp on it. Was Ok when we were married in Bangkok.

2nd Attempt:-
3 years later Mrs Dero and I were in transit between Aus and here. Had some time to kill so went into the Embassy. Had them confirm my birth certificate and certified copy which they did. Took it to Chan Wattana and they refused to stamp it as the translation was not done by one of their minions down stairs. CORRUPTION
Mrs. Dero had to drag me out of the place for fear I would be arrested.

3rd Attempt, yesterday:-
Once again Mrs Dero is waring a uniform with all the bling. As apart on the job she gets supa cheap life insurance for herself and spouse (1Mill Baht) Farang now included. I had to go through heaps of BS to get the documentation in order.
They wanted a Yellow Book, TW insisted that will not happen. Any way we went to the Amphor office:-
New hoops in writing:-
Passport and visa translated into Thai and certified at Chan Wattana = WTF
Letter of address from Immigration.
Puay Baan and 3 village elders to confirm my residency.
AND we will talk about the corruption on the day.
Mrs. Dero told him to fu##k off on my behalf.
Mrs. Dero told him to fu##k off on my behalf.....I LIKE Her Style,555 !!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 5, 2022, 8:12 pm

Had no problem getting mine (about 10 years ago) at the same Amphur office Dero refers to.

Perhaps Texpat could chime in here, and query the need for even having a yellow book.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 5, 2022, 8:20 pm

Got Mine also about 10 Years Ago but got mine from Nong Khai Ampur.....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 5, 2022, 8:42 pm

Looks like BD should have given it another shot "about 10 years ago".
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 6, 2022, 6:02 am

Got mine 5 years ago in Udon. Was a slightly strange affair. The lady doing it was ok personality wise but clearly told me she didn't really want to do it because I was young and was not going to be living in thailand forever just yet. (Which is true)

We got a witness who works on 2nd floor so easy. Can't remember any documentation problems, but she did insist on a 30 day minimum waiting time while they would check my details.

No bribes or tea money required, just had to wait.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 6, 2022, 6:45 am

Yellow Books are useful for proving address for many Government Agencies, like RTP, Immigration, Banks , Dept of Land transport , you know the normal ones we all have to provide reams of paperwork.

Although once a very long time ago I was asked to get Proof of Address, produced the Yellow Book and told to get a letter from IMMIGRATION< SO I informed the saod agenmcy, oh you are calling the Thai Govt liars, , they agreed to take the book as proof.

Times have moved on since then and it is a vital tool for expats

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » October 6, 2022, 7:48 am

Although this thread is more specific to Bandung_Dero's case, there is a merit to discussion in users sharing experiences. In order to help others navigate the often difficult steps in anything related to government agencies, here are more threads on the yellow book subject and related topics in case members or new, unregistered lurkers are interested in further reading:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2606&p=647001#p647001

viewtopic.php?f=130&t=52285&p=651400&hi ... ok#p651400

viewtopic.php?f=130&t=54123&p=657938&hi ... ok#p657918

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53662&p=655540&hil ... ok#p655540

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52610&p=631752&hili ... ok#p631752

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52869&p=613059&hili ... ok#p613027

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49300&p=532813&hili ... ok#p532787

Perhaps some duplication can be eased.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 6, 2022, 10:12 am

Bandung dero
I had the same sort of nonsense , i first thought (correctly at the time ) that they required a back hander , ,, quite a few times (at least 10 years ago ) i went into the amphur office regarding this ,,,the final straw was the way they belittled my wife ,that broke the camels back , after grabbing the jumped up little tw-t by the scruff ,i finally got their attention .
then explaining to the now present boss man ,what i required , ( a sort of under consideration period was endured , )
i finally got the yellow book , a few years after this event i went into to ask about legal info on house /land and wills ,
What a turn around , a refreshing change no more us and them ,everyone very helpful , ( my god am i in the same building ) , After pleasantly receiving all the info i required , they then asked ' is there anything else we can help you with 'hmm not to miss an opportunity , how to apply for Pink id card ,,, no problem ,,it was in my hand in 10 minutes ,
I hasten to add there's been a complete change in personnel since my first application ,

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 6, 2022, 10:23 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 5, 2022, 8:12 pm
Had no problem getting mine (about 10 years ago) at the same Amphur office Dero refers to.

Perhaps Texpat could chime in here, and query the need for even having a yellow book.
A friend of mine applied and received his yellow book from Wang Saphung within a week. He had no hoops to jump through. My wife and I applied at the local Nong Hin amphur. It would have required a trip to Bangkok and lots of other documentation. I decided that I didn't need the yellow book that bad. My wife said that the amphur made up all those requirements because they don't know how to make the book. I still don't have a yellow book.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 6, 2022, 11:08 am

It certainly seems that it is becoming easier to get, though as usual it is very dependent on the officer in charge as well as the relationships with your other half. In my case in Non Sa-At (3~4 years ago) no official translations were required a tiny amount of tea money (the similar amount as is offered in many other situations) was given, it was only given as a thank you after the fact. My pink card was issued either then or shortly after. The pink card has virtually replaced my passport in nearly all situations at the, banks, DLT, hospitals etc.

Could I live without them? Sure. Is it easier with them? Absolutely.

TIT YMMV
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 6, 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » October 6, 2022, 11:19 am

Mine was easy enough in ~2010 but no marriage docs were needed just her blue book and ID as far as I can remember. Bringing along her sister (a gov employee in NKI) may have helped.
I don't even recall a letter from Udon Immigration nor passport/visa translation but I may be wrong in that remembrance.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » November 30, 2022, 1:08 am

About 15 or 16 years ago, no big problems but took four trips to the office to get it done. Not formally married but with my long-time girlfriend, her sister and housekeeper as witnesses was what made it work. Fee was very cheap - 100 baht or so.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » March 11, 2023, 10:02 pm

Just a heads up as found this interesting and easy for once!

My wife recently sold the house where she and my daughter were listed in that blue book and I also had a yellow house book for that address also.

After the sale my wife went to get her and daughter moved to another blue book for our other house. As I am not in thailand assumed I'd try to do my Yellow house book on next visit but as my wife had the yellow book with her told her to take it with her and ask the process.

The government office that does this (near Nong Prajak) put wife and daughter into the other blue book and also changed my yellow house book, even though I was not there.

Forgot to ask if there was any charge. Will post when I ask the wife.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 11, 2023, 10:43 pm

Wow. Very accomodating!

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”