Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social M

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 18, 2016, 8:04 pm

Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... 1460977949

Why would they want to know this? :shock:
Attachments
14609779491460977993l.jpg

Watch Me!!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 18, 2016, 10:40 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 18, 2016, 11:15 pm

Some of it may not be mandatory yet but you will be at the mercy of the immigration officials decision at the time. Another sign of things getting worse for foreigners in Thailand. It is ironic that many of us went to Thailand because we felt more freedom than in our home countries with all the rules and regulations.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 18, 2016, 11:33 pm

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 19, 2016, 6:10 am

In my silliness, attempting a little fun with Immigration, I'd be tempted to include toilet and refrigerator under 2.6. :D Could I be risking immediate withdrawal of my visa extension? :-k

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 19, 2016, 8:32 am

Lone Star wrote:If you're here legally and handling your business, you probably have nothing to fear. There have always been a small minority of international immigrants whose actions give us all a bad name and cause Thai officials to look for ways to catch lawbreakers.

I knew that things could change as the wind blows when I moved here, and I'm still better off in Thailand than anywhere else. Whether all of that information becomes mandatory or not, it's not an issue for me. They can find out whatever they want to know anyway.
What if you are here legally but believe in democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of association (in groups larger than 5) and oppose totalitarianism and often express your views through social media. Does that make you one of the small minority of international immigrants whose actions give us all a bad name? There won't be attitude adjustment for farangs just an exit ticket and a stamp that says - not to return. Be careful what you like on Facebook or write on Thai Visa.
Watch Me!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 19, 2016, 8:58 am

"Other places visited often by foreigner" :-s what happens if you live in Pattaya ?
Do you put down Sugarbaby a go go,Schoolgirl a go go,Baccara a go go,Whats up a go go,Alcatraz,Airport Club,Iron Club etc. ? :-k
Hows that going to look alongside your visa extension application ? :-"
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 19, 2016, 8:58 am

marjamlew wrote: by marjamlew » April 19, 2016, 8:32 am

Lone Star wrote:
If you're here legally and handling your business, you probably have nothing to fear. There have always been a small minority of international immigrants whose actions give us all a bad name and cause Thai officials to look for ways to catch lawbreakers.

I knew that things could change as the wind blows when I moved here, and I'm still better off in Thailand than anywhere else. Whether all of that information becomes mandatory or not, it's not an issue for me. They can find out whatever they want to know anyway.

What if you are here legally but believe in democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of association (in groups larger than 5) and oppose totalitarianism and often express your views through social media. Does that make you one of the small minority of international immigrants whose actions give us all a bad name? There won't be attitude adjustment for farangs just an exit ticket and a stamp that says - not to return. Be careful what you like on Facebook or write on Thai Visa.
Exactly marjamlew, I think the reduced freedoms for the locals is starting to take it's toll on the locals free and easy attitude of the past, I don't see why ant one should lay down and accept the unacceptable.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 19, 2016, 11:20 am

marjamlew wrote:
Lone Star wrote:If you're here legally and handling your business, you probably have nothing to fear. There have always been a small minority of international immigrants whose actions give us all a bad name and cause Thai officials to look for ways to catch lawbreakers.

then you should have done your research better and moved to a country that offered those things.

If you find one, let us know.............and sadly, that's not a joke. Some are simply more lenient, Thailand, not one of them, and you should have known that before deciding to move here, and accepted it. I did.

How many coups, how many constitutions..............and did someone expect all that to change after they got here. Really. :lol:

Due diligence............

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » April 19, 2016, 11:58 am

And don't forget: Increasingly they take photos of you while you are waiting and later when you are beeing processed.
Somehow they want to document how you show up when you visit them.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 19, 2016, 1:30 pm

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 19, 2016, 1:50 pm

I don't think Mr Lonestar realises Thailand is once again not a democracy but under military rule, I wonder how they adjust one's thinking when they are arrested for realignment, I would guess the only way is to threaten ones family or self, your far right views have an amazing resemblance to WBUAlum ....

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » April 19, 2016, 2:21 pm

coxo wrote:your far right views have an amazing resemblance to WBUAlum ....
was thinking the same thing....
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 19, 2016, 2:29 pm

I left full time in 2005 as a career choice but it's my wife's home and where half of my son's family live so we visit once or twice a year.
The first three years I was in Thailand (95 - 98) I worked and lived on campus at KKU and spent a lot of time with post grad students, teachers and academics discussing issues like the 1997 people's constitution, the opening of society and the freedoms and opportunities that were around as a consequence of an individual's actions in 92 ordering the army to stay in the barracks. Yes some of us naive kids (I was in my mid 20's) believed that this was the way that things would be from then on. That the days of coups and re-writing constitutions were over - the Peoples Constitution would last.

This year I'm taking my wife and son to Bali and I haven't been there since 91. We'd always planned to live in Thailand, Udon or Nong Khai, once my son had finished his education here but now we are looking for alternatives. With big brother wanting to know who I hang around with, where I have a drink and what I think about lying down with dogs, well I don't know if I want to spend my hard earned in a place like that.

I feel sorry for the Thais who don't have a choice about whether to leave and have to suppress their own desires to live in a country where freedom of speech and association and choosing the government are taken for granted. For farang who are apolitical life hasn't changed and I have no problem with that (up to you - It's what makes Thailand wonderful) but for those with flees.
Watch Me!!

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 19, 2016, 2:31 pm

It was only a 'democracy' when Thaskin 1 was PM, and just prior, when the 97 Charter / Constitution was in force. At no other time was it a democracy. The last constitution had a 'military' must approve clause for any changes. That's not a democracy.

Anything before Thaskin 1 was PM....well, simply military all the way, whether in uniform or not. Any future charter / constitution, will be less democratic, as military simply will not relinquish control. The shown by the present leaks of the new constitution guarantees that. Want appointed senate, if not, at least half. PM appointed............ democracy ???

As stated, guest, simply accept, or leave. I kind of like it just the way it is. Actually hoping the referendum fails, as designed to in my opinion, and Junta stays in power for a couple more years, while writing another........... and repeat......... :lol:

Off topic.......is this thread about the topic, or posters.....

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 19, 2016, 3:26 pm

I've learned over the years to keep my knickers from bunching up in the crack of my behind.......and reading a report of an individual immigration officer in a single immigration office coming up with such a report is good reason to continue doing so. It reminds me of the post-grad student who was researching the lives of expats in Thailand.

My vehicle info isn't personal, so I've no problem with that. I could answer the questions about my hospital, restaurant, social media, etc habits in a hundred different ways. Now, if I had to hand over my search history or my emails or my personal journal....that'd be a different thing altogether. I don't think we're there.......yet. But, as I've said for nearly 20 years........you best have a plan B in your hip pocket.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 19, 2016, 3:45 pm

parrot wrote:and reading a report of an individual immigration officer in a single immigration office coming up with such a report is good reason to continue doing so.
Yep, and pretty much the same, and the way of the 30 day wait for your visa extension, one office, and soon to be discontinued, when a few more officially complain about it.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 19, 2016, 5:41 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 19, 2016, 10:13 pm

12345 wrote:
marjamlew wrote:

then you should have done your research better and moved to a country that offered those things.

If you find one, let us know.............and sadly, that's not a joke. Some are simply more lenient, Thailand, not one of them, and you should have known that before deciding to move here, and accepted it. I did.

How many coups, how many constitutions..............and did someone expect all that to change after they got here. Really. :lol:

Due diligence............
I first came to Thailand in 2003, a great place then in my opinion with most of the freedoms we are talking about. I really enjoyed Thailand then and prepared to retire there, unfortunately things changed and my wife and i now live a great life in Canada and visit family in Thailand once in awhile. We would not be happy there now but if others are then that is O.K. too. Like they say, up to you.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2016, 6:04 am

I for one having worked in the public sector for well over 30 years, find the request to provide possibkle sensitive information mildly amusing.
In truth vehicles, emails and the like are all known if they care to look, bank accounts easily found again if you wish to look.
If you can find emails then you can also find the IP address and the rest as they say is easy, so for those that search secret sites they want no-one to know about well, I can tell you if they want you they WILL find you.
reading between the lines it would seem that searching for and finding the information is not that easy and I doubt if the expertise here is as sophisticated as in the West so asking seems the easy way out. Banking details if held here are not secret, as we all know , however in the West that information will be passed to your relative governments if the right person asks the right question for the right reason.

The only problem I have is, where do I go question, that will never be answered as only Big C and Tescos are certainties the rest is in the lap of the gods.

We all have numerous emails I am sure , telephone numbers do not worry since ( whenever ) all telephone numbers are registered and guess what THAT information is passed to the Government too. as is all the information about internet providers and THEIR customers. `
So apart from your personal choices including peccadillos, which part of secret is all your information EH ?????

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”