Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social M

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 20, 2016, 6:28 am

Khun Paul wrote:I for one having worked in the public sector for well over 30 years, find the request to provide possibkle sensitive information mildly amusing.
In truth vehicles, emails and the like are all known if they care to look, bank accounts easily found again if you wish to look.
If you can find emails then you can also find the IP address and the rest as they say is easy, so for those that search secret sites they want no-one to know about well, I can tell you if they want you they WILL find you.
reading between the lines it would seem that searching for and finding the information is not that easy and I doubt if the expertise here is as sophisticated as in the West so asking seems the easy way out. Banking details if held here are not secret, as we all know , however in the West that information will be passed to your relative governments if the right person asks the right question for the right reason.

The only problem I have is, where do I go question, that will never be answered as only Big C and Tescos are certainties the rest is in the lap of the gods.

We all have numerous emails I am sure , telephone numbers do not worry since ( whenever ) all telephone numbers are registered and guess what THAT information is passed to the Government too. as is all the information about internet providers and THEIR customers. `
So apart from your personal choices including peccadillos, which part of secret is all your information EH ?????
It is not so much that our personal info is a big hidden secret it is the direction the current Thai powers are heading in respect to treatment of foreigners in the kingdom and the uncomfortable feeling of big brother watching over you. Most expats have nothing to hide anyway so that is not the issue.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 20, 2016, 7:47 am

I think it's more about the path the country is taking against foreigners, the blocking of news site's and there en devour to control the internet of any information they feel is a threat,(paranoia). In the late 90's and early 2000's the country was becoming progressive and a leader in SE Asia with the general population happy, it is now being left behind in the region and discontent among the Thai's is becoming very evident.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » April 20, 2016, 11:04 am

jai yen yen wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:I for one having worked in the public sector for well over 30 years, find the request to provide possibkle sensitive information mildly amusing.
In truth vehicles, emails and the like are all known if they care to look, bank accounts easily found again if you wish to look.
If you can find emails then you can also find the IP address and the rest as they say is easy, so for those that search secret sites they want no-one to know about well, I can tell you if they want you they WILL find you.
reading between the lines it would seem that searching for and finding the information is not that easy and I doubt if the expertise here is as sophisticated as in the West so asking seems the easy way out. Banking details if held here are not secret, as we all know , however in the West that information will be passed to your relative governments if the right person asks the right question for the right reason.

The only problem I have is, where do I go question, that will never be answered as only Big C and Tescos are certainties the rest is in the lap of the gods.

We all have numerous emails I am sure , telephone numbers do not worry since ( whenever ) all telephone numbers are registered and guess what THAT information is passed to the Government too. as is all the information about internet providers and THEIR customers. `
So apart from your personal choices including peccadillos, which part of secret is all your information EH ?????
It is not so much that our personal info is a big hidden secret it is the direction the current Thai powers are heading in respect to treatment of foreigners in the kingdom and the uncomfortable feeling of big brother watching over you. Most expats have nothing to hide anyway so that is not the issue.
It's simple really, fill in the form and ask for hundreds of additional pages so that you can fully comply with the request. Swamp them with useful, though correct information. It will soon dawn on the authorities of the futile nature of requesting this type of information.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 21, 2016, 5:11 pm

It's simple really, fill in the form and ask for hundreds of additional pages so that you can fully comply with the request. Swamp them with useful, though correct information. It will soon dawn on the authorities of the futile nature of requesting this type of information.
Exactly. I will tell them all of the larger shops i frequent ..... Makro, BigC, Tesco, Tops, Global house, Dohome, Homepro, anyothers i can think of ..... Don't have any friends (for them), only family. And i f they insist on a bank account i will open a new one with practically nothing in it.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2016, 5:22 am

Zero

Post by Zero » April 22, 2016, 10:03 pm

coxo wrote:I think it's more about the path the country is taking against foreigners, the blocking of news site's and there en devour to control the internet of any information they feel is a threat,(paranoia). In the late 90's and early 2000's the country was becoming progressive and a leader in SE Asia with the general population happy, it is now being left behind in the region and discontent among the Thai's is becoming very evident.
+100

After living in Thailand since 2011 I have to say that this country is definitely moving in the wrong direction. Politically, socially and economically. The point where I and my money will leave for good is getting closer. It seems they neither want nor need any of us. Who cares about the hundreds of thousands of Thai jobs we create and many thousands of families we support anyway?

There is nothing I appreciate more than personal freedom. The first serious hiccup and I'm off.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 22, 2016, 11:33 pm

I keep a back-up email address to use in conjunction with any organisation that I think might send me unsolicited marketing material or pass my details on to others. And to prove the point that email address gets load of junk and spam main everyday. I would use that or other out of date or erroneous information.

Along with a list of 7-11's and karaokes!! :lol:

I avoid social media anyway, to minimise my personal details being publicly available.

I think it most inappropriate to ask for personal bank account details. In most western countries that would be a breach of data protection laws. Such information should be kept strictly confidential.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 24, 2016, 8:59 am

I just back from bring out of the Country and need to make a change to my existing address. I plan on doing that next week. I will ask about the form then and post what I find.

Really not much to get upset about. Like most things it will die a quiet death.

Not one vehicle is in my name, four bank accounts the get the one I have give them copies every year.

Hangouts Home

E-mail address no problem giving them that information.

I will ask our local office and go from there.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » April 24, 2016, 12:23 pm

"If you're here legally and handling your business, you probably have nothing to fear", ridiculous. You know nothing about nothing. That isn't true in America nor is it true anywhere. This has only happened in one immigration office in Bangkok and that is the one that handles foreign media. Doesn't take much reading between the lines to figure out why. It seems here in what used to be LOS that all plans fly out the window, better have a lot of backup plans, we aren't welcome by this "government".

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 24, 2016, 2:01 pm

I'm doing my 90 day tomorrow so will let you know what Udon is doing...
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » April 24, 2016, 3:13 pm

Did my 90 day report on last Tuesday, around 10AM it was crowded, but he worked fast for a change, so out in no time and No different than any other 90 day report in pass many years. Well except I didn't need to fill out the form, just sign his printed one. His printer seems fast, should have checked the brand. :D

Oh, a lot of BIG signs about over staying!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 24, 2016, 4:17 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 24, 2016, 4:56 pm

Lone Star wrote:
sgt wrote:"If you're here legally and handling your business, you probably have nothing to fear", ridiculous. You know nothing about nothing. That isn't true in America nor is it true anywhere. This has only happened in one immigration office in Bangkok and that is the one that handles foreign media. Doesn't take much reading between the lines to figure out why. It seems here in what used to be LOS that all plans fly out the window, better have a lot of backup plans, we aren't welcome by this "government".
I know my own experiences. :D And that's all I can speak to. Maybe yours haven't been so good. I have no way of knowing, nor do I need to know.

In order to agree with you, I'd have to deny all of my experiences with immigration with different types of visas over the last 10 years. The last six years jumping through all the hoops for a Non-Imm O. Not even a hiccup. Smooth as silk. Could it change? Sure. Knew that when I first arrived.

Yes, we do need backup plans. That's an intelligent move no matter where one decides to retire. Not good to just set things on cruise control and not pay attention.
It is very difficult to make a backup plan. If I decide to go to USA, possibilities to be one of those 500 who have to give their laptops, tablets and mobile phones to Immigration for check up are real. They do not want a written email address, they want to check every file, every social media connection, every email -everything. Same in Europe, not every country, but many. I even can not go to Australia. They do same checks.

It is difficult to be a foreigner in Thailand -or is it? I only know that it is much more difficult to be a foreigner in Europe or USA. Of course it is much easier in USA. They just ask a password to laptop, tablet and phone. That is so easy. They can keep device even 30 days, if they feel it necessary. Just waiting the day, when Thailand copies USA process.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 24, 2016, 5:23 pm

15 years............all talk of back up plans, yea, have one. Well, not really, as don't expect to need one, and would just be, hop back the US, re-think, then go from there, as doubt I would want to stay in US. Actually Czech-Ville is interesting, or Mexico / Caribbean, and definitely now Cuba to think about, since soon to be legal, as the only ones I peeked at before.

Fear mongers.......no worries here, they ain't throwing us out, and it really couldn't get any worst than it is here now. So things are actually, damn nice. Unless soldiers start strolling down the street. Guest, retired.........could care less.

If a citizen, I'd probably be pissed, and been in for a couple attitude adjustments already. But, not my country, don't care. F... don't even care about my own home country, it's total sh*t now anyway. No different than here. Now........here is much better.

Immigration and visa is a snap to get and stay, much easier than most countries.

What's not to like:

No RE Taxes to speak of
Inexpensive beach holidays
No PC nanny state
Accessible and inexpensive Healthcare.
Inexpensive University for daughter.
No terror threat

If they hand me a form to fill out, I'll sign it and hand it back blank. Tell them I don't have internet, and don't go out, or on holiday, and don't own anything. Don't even have to lie...............much. NO Thai bank account, so no info to share.

I think they have better things to do that search for my non-existent information.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 25, 2016, 2:03 pm

did my 90 check-in today.. No request to fill out any additional forms. I asked Mr. 90 day and he claimed to know nothing... But, Mr. 90 day was a bit overwhelmed as the "system" was down and everybody had to fill out forms and do it all manually...
Dave

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 25, 2016, 7:44 pm

Zidane wrote:"Other places visited often by foreigner" :-s what happens if you live in Pattaya ?
Do you put down Sugarbaby a go go,Schoolgirl a go go,Baccara a go go,Whats up a go go,Alcatraz,Airport Club,Iron Club etc. ? :-k
Hows that going to look alongside your visa extension application ? :-"
Zid , what visas are required here, I presume its Visa on Departure ??

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 26, 2016, 8:17 am

Yes,I think its called Visa a go-go,wazza ! :-"
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 26, 2016, 1:01 pm

bottom line folks, take as much notice of these extra information forms as the rest of the Farangs not in Udon take of the 30 day waits for retirement extensions they don't have to deal with.. Evidently this has been used in one office.. We can start winging when Udon starts...
Dave

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 26, 2016, 6:41 pm

I was in Udon Immigration this morning on other business. I asked about the new forms they had no idea what I was talking about they said nothing has changed. So I'm in the wait and see mode. I was really surprised today Immigration did a check on the neighbor across the street. We verified that he had lived at the location for several months.

Unless some thing changes no need to panick If it changes and you find out it effects Udon please let us know
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 26, 2016, 6:58 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:bottom line folks, take as much notice of these extra information forms as the rest of the Farangs not in Udon take of the 30 day waits for retirement extensions they don't have to deal with.. Evidently this has been used in one office.. We can start winging when Udon starts...
If I remember correctly, story says that it has been tested in one Immigration office and on trial basis. That office was named to be in Bangkok.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”