Reminder: New Visa on Arrival Limits in Effect At Midnight

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Reminder: New Visa on Arrival Limits in Effect At Midnight

Post by Charlieb » January 1, 2017, 12:06 pm

BANGKOK — Just in case you forgot, new regulations on entering Thailand by land will become effective at midnight. According to the new rule, which was approved seven months ago but only made public Dec. 1, foreigners entitled to 30-day visa exemptions will be able to enter the kingdom at land crossings without visas only twice per calendar year.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Reminder: New Visa on Arrival Limits in Effect At Midnight

Post by BobHelm » January 1, 2017, 12:20 pm

It would appear to be not quite as bad as it first looks though Charlie - well according to this, anyway, which has appeared in TV I believe. I saw it reposted in another Forum..
visa.png
The 2 times a year does not appear to apply if you arrive via an International airport.
Also, previously, only passport holders from G7 countries received 30 days, most passport holders got 15. The number countries whose passport holders get 30 days appears to have been increased considerably...

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 1, 2017, 12:42 pm

Correct Bob. I just copied this from Udon News. The full article is at:
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... -midnight/

It says:
The change will not affect those who enter through international airports, according to the Royal Gazette. Malaysian nationals are also exempted from this amendment.

But looks like it will apply to visa runs across the border

pgthai
udonmap.com
Location: UDON THANI, NONG KHAI, BUENG KAN, SAKON NAKHON, NAKHON PHANOM, MUKDAHAN, JOMTIEN BEACH

REVISION OF THE VISA EXEMPTION SCHEME REGULATION

Post by pgthai » January 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

VISA EXEMPTION NEW REGULATION.JPG

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » January 3, 2017, 3:49 pm

Well, looks like already the source is mixing up words and stirs confusion. If entering on land is limted to 2 times, then obviously as logically entering via plane is not affected. This statement is unnecessary. They could have added 'Strawberries are red', same nonsense.

It seems to me that some people use their own twisted logic now with this information to conclude that when entering via plane you can still do as many land-based visa runs as you like. Which obviously can not be as that would mean there is no change at all.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”