Income Letter

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
fdimike
udonmap.com

Re: Income Letter

Post by fdimike » October 13, 2018, 7:43 am

RL I just enrolled in the USEMB STEP program. It took about 5 minutes and was easy to do.

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 9:47 am

fdimike wrote:
October 13, 2018, 7:18 am
RL understand now what you're talking about. However if you read further it says: "Specific times and locations are released 10-14 days prior to each Outreach event through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs which allows U.S. citizens traveling and living abroad to receive important information by enrolling with their nearest Embassy or Consulate. If you would like to receive specific dates and times of our Outreach Events, please register for STEP at https://step.state.gov/step/."

I don't see any cutback at all. It looks like they're trying to get more US citizens enrolled in their STEP program.
Agree, but like I said above somewhere, I didn't receive a notice about a year ago, I think, hard to tell for time flies, even though I am enrolled to receive notices, (STEP?). It might of gotten lost or sent to junk. Was thinking maybe got un-enrolled, but then I started getting them again.

For anyone on Twitter you can follow them there @ACSBKK but not for "Out Reach" but other info on Thailand.

Still say I see Cutbacks for before Trump they came to Udon twice a year, it is now once, this year Nov, and next year we will need to go to KK in Sept or Oct for Udon will be in the Spring, but of course I could be wrong. :lol:

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 9:57 am

mak wrote:
October 13, 2018, 7:24 am
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... vice-fees/
I would imagine the Udon Outreach will occur during the first week of November and the Phuket Outreach during the second week. Thanksgiving being on the fourth week.
Agree that is what it looks like. A wild guess Udon Nov 7th or 9th
The 1st Full week
Email notices in 2 weeks

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 13, 2018, 10:33 am

I was in town Thursday so called into immigration to ask what my options were once the British Embassy stop the confirmation of income letter. I was told only one option, letter from the bank showing money in the bank. There will be no more monthly income option. When she then told me I could also get a 30 day extension I began to suspect she didn't have a clue what I was talking about and that I had wasted my time.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

Need to wait to see what develops between Thai Imm and the embassies.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

[/quote]
Agree, but like I said above somewhere, I didn't receive a notice about a year ago, I think, hard to tell for time flies, even though I am enrolled to receive notices, (STEP?). It might of gotten lost or sent to junk. Was thinking maybe got un-enrolled, but then I started getting them again.

For anyone on Twitter you can follow them there @ACSBKK but not for "Out Reach" but other info on Thailand.

Still say I see Cutbacks for before Trump they came to Udon twice a year, it is now once, this year Nov, and next year we will need to go to KK in Sept or Oct for Udon will be in the Spring, but of course I could be wrong. :lol:
[/quote]

ACS was here in March this year......again in Nov.....twice.
acs-outreach-t13022-195.html

I always try to look at the bright side of things.....ACS has been visiting Udon pretty much twice a year since I came here in 1996. Other embassies? Nada. ACS accepts our sworn statement for the income letter.......other embassies? Not so much.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » October 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

I hope the outreach program will continue to notarize the income verification letters. No one that I speak to can confirm this. Perhaps, a warden can clarify. This is one issue that concerns me and the other is the ACH changeover to the ICH transmission code April 2019. Hope government pensions will go through BKK Bank in NY with out any problems. I also have my bank send me an ACH transmission to BKK Bank in NY each month. Hope the bank can make the change as well.

If not, I will have to keep the difference of funds in my local Bangkok Bank branch in Udon. My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? And yes, I know the risk of a joint account. However, upon my death without a joint account where will the deposited funds end up? I have no designated beneficiary or, family in the US. Many of my wife's friends being married to a foreign and upon the husband's death, tried to get the funds from the bank and all were unsuccessful because it was not a joint account. Does anyone have experience in the matter? Thank you in advance.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » October 13, 2018, 5:00 pm

".......tried to get the funds from the bank and all were unsuccessful because it was not a joint account. Does anyone have experience in the matter?........"

Well, I have no experience with death. But my wife has her own atm card for my account(only my name) and she has no problem keeping my account clean......

:-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

"My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? "

My last experience with keeping 800k here was that the account could not be joint. But I did have an ATM card with my 800k account. In the event of death, my wife could easily withdraw the funds via ATM over the course of a few days. No need to enter the bank.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 13, 2018, 5:11 pm

Much as I bemoaned paying 2,000 baht plus for the UK Embassy letter, which differed only slightly from year to year(and Immigration insisting I had to produce a fresh letter, although they must have a file on me several inches thick), the letter at least satisfied Immigration easily on one of the items they say I must produce for a marriage visa.
Whilst my pensions are already paid directly into a Thai bank, I’m a little concerned with Galee’s comment stating that an Immigration Officer said it can ONLY be money in the bank (i.e. at least 400,000 lump remaining for three months). As I really live month to month, I don’t ever keep that amount in a current bank account, although I can satisfy the monthly income figure of at least 40,000 baht, which the UK embassy states meets a qualifying condition. But I’m guessing the Officer doesn’t know all the rules.
I appreciate many applicants have a better impression of Udon Immigration these days, but I’m also aware requested fees include a ‘tea money’ element, or a charge for what officially is a free service e.g. moving a visa from an old to new passport.
I know from previous years that Immigration could ‘mess you about’ over what they wanted from the bank e.g the bank statement and a covering letter HAD to be dated the same day when one went to Immigration! I think I’ve still got a sample bank letter, wording acceptable to Immigration, from when I used to apply for a retirement visa. All I’m suggesting is that there is scope for an Officer to be helpful or not! Personally, I intend to be absolutely clear what the qualifying conditions are, exactly what is needed from the bank etc. well before my visa is due for extension.
I’ll just add that I can recall arguing the toss with Immigration when they were at Udon Airport. I’m not exaggerating to say the subject was the meaning of the word ‘or’. Perhaps Galee’s officer hasn’t grasped that yet?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 5:27 pm

parrot wrote:
October 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

[/quote]

ACS was here in March this year......again in Nov.....twice.

I always try to look at the bright side of things.....ACS has been visiting Udon pretty much twice a year since I came here in 1996. Other embassies? Nada. ACS accepts our sworn statement for the income letter.......other embassies? Not so much.
[/quote]

:lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 13, 2018, 6:01 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
October 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? .
No they can not. The account has to be in your name only.

You may be able to designate your wife to receive the funds when you die. It was possible in the past but the rules may have changed.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 13, 2018, 6:04 pm

parrot wrote:
October 13, 2018, 5:07 pm
"My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? "

My last experience with keeping 800k here was that the account could not be joint. But I did have an ATM card with my 800k account. In the event of death, my wife could easily withdraw the funds via ATM over the course of a few days. No need to enter the bank.
You can also have internet banking enabled so there would be no need to even leve the house. All she would need to do is log in and transfer the money.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 14, 2018, 12:47 am

I believe the letter from the embassy was to guarantee the income so having a Thai bank account showing the money coming in every month woildnt be acceptable as far as immigration is concerned the income could stop at any time.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 14, 2018, 2:35 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 13, 2018, 6:01 pm
LoneTraveler wrote:
October 13, 2018, 3:57 pm

My question is can the funds required by immigration be kept in a joint account with my wife (of 11 years)? .
No they can not. The account has to be in your name only.

You may be able to designate your wife to receive the funds when you die. It was possible in the past but the rules may have changed.
This is incorrect!
The funds can be kept in a joint account BUT the total MUST exceed 800K (married) or 1600K (retired).

The rational being that half the sum belongs to you!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 14, 2018, 5:12 am

Nong Khai immigration only extends retirement and marriage visas for individuals who can prove money in a Thai bank. They demand the 800k (or 400k) must be maintained in a single account (not joint) in the alien's name ONLY.

That single account earns interest at a rate far below what a Thai would earn.

When the foreigner dies, the widow of the owner of that 800k must petition the bank, through a court, to have those funds released. It is a long and costly process.

Ahh paradise. :(
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » October 14, 2018, 6:58 am

parrot wrote:

My Thai wife has access to one of my accounts via ATM Card however, I am pretty sure it is illegal to draw funds from an account owner whom is deceased. I will speak to bank and see if she is entitled to receive the funds in my account when I pass. I have set up an account in her name only, many years ago so she will have funds for a few years.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » October 14, 2018, 7:05 am

MusicalBars wrote:
October 14, 2018, 12:47 am
I believe the letter from the embassy was to guarantee the income so having a Thai bank account showing the money coming in every month woildnt be acceptable as far as immigration is concerned the income could stop at any time.

I would think if the funds are from a government pension such as social security, that they would accept a monthly deposit. However, TIT so it will be another question I will ask next time I go to Immigration. The problem with that is one Officer may tell me yes and then when I go for extension another Officer may say sorry cannot. This will be all mute if they continue to accept income verification from the Embassy.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 14, 2018, 7:47 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
October 14, 2018, 6:58 am
parrot wrote:

My Thai wife has access to one of my accounts via ATM Card however, I am pretty sure it is illegal to draw funds from an account owner whom is deceased. I will speak to bank and see if she is entitled to receive the funds in my account when I pass. I have set up an account in her name only, many years ago so she will have funds for a few years.

There's no doubt that withdrawing funds from the account of a deceased owner is illegal, but I was told directly by my bank's customer service as well as some higher ups that this would be the best remedy for me if I was concerned that my wife may not be able to get money from my account after I'm deceased. "Just don't report the death to the bank until after the money has been taken out".....I was told!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 14, 2018, 8:52 am

sort of did that after my dad died, and we needed funeral expenses etc etc...
I had him sign four blank cheques just days before he died, and I filled in the amount as due, and then transferred what was left into my account, as Trustee of his Will, and that covered us ( Mum and I ) until Probate came thru..
No Enduring Power of Attorney, and my mum was a pensioner with dementure, and I was at home caring for her, so no job, or income, just her pension...

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”