Marriage Extension New Rule

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Chriss
udonmap.com

Marriage Extension New Rule

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Well new rule for me anyway.

Last month I applied again for my marriage extension, all paperwork correct, stamped and signed, come back in a month for final stamp.

This morning I had a call from Immigration saying I need to supply a new Thor Lor 2. Was told to go to my local Ampur, they will supply a new document with today's date. Which I duly did and took said document, which BTW cost 40 Bht and was done in 5 mins, directly to Immigration.

I was told at Immigration from now each year when I apply for a renewal I will need to produce a new Thor Lor 2.

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the same..

dragonz
udonmap.com

Re: Marriage Extension New Rule

Post by dragonz » March 6, 2019, 1:42 pm

this document is very confusing , be good if someone could give the correct name of it . Told by immigration it is koh sor 2 , i called it kor ror 2 and now you call it thor lor 2 . is it the same document and if it is be better if people gave the correct info as last time i read i needed a kor ror2 for my first extension i went to the amphur to get one as i did not have it .
The correct info is that if you were married in thailand you need a kor ror 2 but if you were married outside thailand you need a kor ror 22 which i already had so wasted me a journey .
Done my extension yesterday got there 9am and was asked for the original copy of my kor ror 22 . Was puzzled as they just print out a copy on the office computer so there is not original .Told me even though i come from pen i could get one from the amphur muang office which is by prajak park . Was told i needed ticket for number 5 counter and after an hour was then told wrong counter needed number 2 . Another 30 minutes then they could not find my details went back to the office and asked if i could complete the rest and come back tomorrow with the document . was told no, so off to phen which was then closed for lunch. Finally got it at 2.30pm , then raced back to immigration and completed it just before 4pm . The new document was exactly the same as the old one which i had used for 4 previous extensions except for the date so i assumed he meant an up to date one but he still insisted if i had the original it would have been ok ???

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 6, 2019, 2:25 pm

Based on all the other recent “refinements” to the rules this does not appear to be unusual. It’s an attempt by Immigration to reduce fake marriage certificates and mostly importantly reduce the IO responsibility to check documents.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 2:37 pm

dragonz wrote:
March 6, 2019, 1:42 pm
this document is very confusing , be good if someone could give the correct name of it . Told by immigration it is koh sor 2 , i called it kor ror 2 and now you call it thor lor 2 . is it the same document and if it is be better if people gave the correct info as last time i read i needed a kor ror2 for my first extension i went to the amphur to get one as i did not have it .
The correct info is that if you were married in thailand you need a kor ror 2 but if you were married outside thailand you need a kor ror 22 which i already had so wasted me a journey .
Done my extension yesterday got there 9am and was asked for the original copy of my kor ror 22 . Was puzzled as they just print out a copy on the office computer so there is not original .Told me even though i come from pen i could get one from the amphur muang office which is by prajak park . Was told i needed ticket for number 5 counter and after an hour was then told wrong counter needed number 2 . Another 30 minutes then they could not find my details went back to the office and asked if i could complete the rest and come back tomorrow with the document . was told no, so off to phen which was then closed for lunch. Finally got it at 2.30pm , then raced back to immigration and completed it just before 4pm . The new document was exactly the same as the old one which i had used for 4 previous extensions except for the date so i assumed he meant an up to date one but he still insisted if i had the original it would have been ok ???
I can only duplicate the document name the way the IO spelt it to me over the phone.
Would suggest if you went to an Ampur and asked for the document calling it any of the three names you list, given they all end in 2, you'd get the right paperwork.
And yes my new document looks similar to the original, not exactly the same as the original was 18 years old, think they're more interested in the date stamp.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » March 6, 2019, 2:52 pm

I have needed this couple times for different things. My bride did not believe me (imagine that) first time so she reluctently went in th amphurand asked. They confirmed original was expired and is short life span document, need new one every time submitted.

Now she is first to say "I go amphur get new marry paper".

YMMV

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 6, 2019, 3:03 pm

Went last Thursday and got the marriage extension with no problems. A few years ago I tried to get the marriage extension but we didn't have the Thor Lor 2 which we now have. This time we were in and out in about 40 minutes. Police came Monday for a visit. I felt it was all so easy and the staff were very helpful.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 6, 2019, 3:08 pm

I think the correct term is ค.ร. as in khaaw raaw

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 6, 2019, 3:54 pm

See this on Thaivisa. As Parrott says most say Kor Ror 2

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/407905 ... -2-from-a/

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 4:06 pm

86Tiger wrote:
March 6, 2019, 2:52 pm
I have needed this couple times for different things. My bride did not believe me (imagine that) first time so she reluctently went in th amphurand asked. They confirmed original was expired and is short life span document, need new one every time submitted.

YMMV

I didnt know this doument expires, don't see how it can, isn't it merely a stamped, signed, dated copy of the page in the marriage registration book..?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 6, 2019, 4:12 pm

Chriss wrote:
March 6, 2019, 4:06 pm
86Tiger wrote:

YMMV

I didnt know this doument expires, don't see how it can, isn't it merely a stamped, signed, dated copy of the page in the marriage registration book..?

Chriss, assuming the wife has to obtain the form......with or without the husband.....I'd guess Immigration officials will get a warm fuzzy that the visa applicant is still married. Just a guess

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 4:57 pm

parrot wrote:
March 6, 2019, 4:12 pm
Chriss wrote:
March 6, 2019, 4:06 pm
86Tiger wrote:

YMMV

Chriss, assuming the wife has to obtain the form......with or without the husband.....I'd guess Immigration officials will get a warm fuzzy that the visa applicant is still married. Just a guess
No the wife didn't need to be at the Ampur, I could have gone alone. Think the official dated stamp does it for them

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Chriss wrote:
March 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Last month I applied again for my marriage extension, all paperwork correct, stamped and signed, come back in a month for final stamp.

This morning I had a call from Immigration saying I need to supply a new Thor Lor 2. Was told to go to my local Ampur, they will supply a new document with today's date. Which I duly did and took said document, which BTW cost 40 Bht and was done in 5 mins, directly to Immigration.

I was told at Immigration from now each year when I apply for a renewal I will need to produce a new Thor Lor 2.

A new Kor Ror 2 is a standard requirement and is listed at No. 14 in the official handout, listed as KO.RO. No.2. As is a non related Thai witness.

The reason for it is extremely simple. if you have divorced you can not get one. So is another check on fake marriages .
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » March 6, 2019, 6:10 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 6, 2019, 5:24 pm
Chriss wrote:

A new Kor Ror 2 is a standard requirement and is listed at No. 14 in the official handout, listed as KO.RO. No.2. As is a non related Thai witness.

The reason for it is extremely simple. if you have divorced you can not get one. So is another check on fake marriages .
Kor Ror 3 is the Marriage Certificate.

Kor Ror 2 is the registry entry.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

Also not a new requirement

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 7:08 pm

dunroaming wrote:
March 6, 2019, 6:13 pm
Interestingly the IO told me it was a new requirement which I accepted given this is the first time I've been asked for a renewed document from the Ampur. They have taken the original for the last 6 years which has been approved by BKK. Hence my original post.

It may well be BKK are now pushing for renewals (which is a basic requirement, mentioned above) given the increase in marriage extensions now applied for whereas previously they let it slide accepting the original.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 6, 2019, 10:26 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
March 6, 2019, 6:10 pm
March 6, 2019, 5:24 pm
Chriss wrote:

Kor Ror 3 is the Marriage Certificate.

Kor Ror 2 is the registry entry.
Certainly and it is a current Kor Ror 2, which can be obtained at any amper, that is being talked about and that can't be obtained unless you are still married. Both 2 (22 if a non thai marriage) and 3 are required

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 6, 2019, 10:30 pm

Chriss wrote:
March 6, 2019, 7:08 pm
dunroaming wrote:
Interestingly the IO told me it was a new requirement which I accepted given this is the first time I've been asked for a renewed document from the Ampur. They have taken the original for the last 6 years which has been approved by BKK. Hence my original post.

It may well be BKK are now pushing for renewals (which is a basic requirement, mentioned above) given the increase in marriage extensions now applied for whereas previously they let it slide accepting the original.
It has been on the handout dated 2008 and certainly asked for by other offices for a long time.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 6, 2019, 10:58 pm

March 6, 2019, 10:30 pm
Chriss wrote:
March 6, 2019, 7:08 pm
dunroaming wrote:

It has been on the handout dated 2008 and certainly asked for by other offices for a long time.
OK I'm not arguing; merely saying I've been using my original for the last 6 years here in Udon and now they've asked for a new document from the Ampur, that's all. In my obvious naivety I thought this was a fairly recent change or addition to requirements or maybe just something I had to do this year... I guess I'm wrong..

I never used any 'handout' 7 years ago just sat with an IO and noted down all the documents I needed. After that simply presented the same every year.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 7, 2019, 8:12 am

I took a friend into I/O yesterday for his 90 day report , whilst there i thought would look to see if any of the pamphlets had the new retirement extension rules in English ,(there are none ) Immigration officer said new rules for marriage extension , (according to Udon Immigration ) the Kor 2 has to be up dated ,i have used mine for the past 14 years , but hey this is what they now require ,so i'll be going to the Amper office soon , he stated they are now turning people away without an up dated Kor 2 .

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 7, 2019, 8:18 am

Hoopoe wrote:
March 7, 2019, 8:12 am
I took a friend into I/O yesterday for his 90 day report , whilst there i thought would look to see if any of the pamphlets had the new retirement extension rules in English ,(there are none ) Immigration officer said new rules for marriage extension , (according to Udon Immigration ) the Kor 2 has to be up dated ,i have used mine for the past 14 years , but hey this is what they now require ,so i'll be going to the Amper office soon , he stated they are now turning people away without an up dated Kor 2 .
Yeah, thank you sir, now that was the type or reply I was looking for.... you are a gent....

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”