US Passport Renewal

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Charlieb
udonmap.com

US Passport Renewal

Post by Charlieb » August 4, 2019, 3:40 pm

This may not be news to some but it is something I was unaware of until recently. US Passports can be renewed by mail in Thailand.

Previously, I was thinking, since they cancelled the outreach program, I would have to go through the expense and hassle of traveling to Bangkok to renew my passport. So I thought I would pass the information along in case there are others, like me, that are unaware of-this program.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ort-renew/

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: US Passport Renewal

Post by RLTrader » August 4, 2019, 5:58 pm

Sometime else you might not know.

The transfer of your visa to your new passport is a FREE Service! So remember when they try to charge you 500+ baht at Udon Immigration.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 4, 2019, 8:01 pm

the younger fellow tried that 500 baht fee with me for transferring the info from old to new passport. I reminded him the the Immigration website says that service is FREE and he giggle, blushed, and said, "oh then, for you free..." Be aware of the fees and always carry correct change to prevent that 100 baht auto-tip...
Dave

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » August 5, 2019, 8:13 am

I renewed my US passport by mail earlier this year, just followed the directions on the website. Mailed my passport and a return envelope to the office in Bangkok. I had my new passport in hand in two weeks, no problems.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 5, 2019, 8:25 am

I renewed mine by mail three years ago.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 5, 2019, 8:58 am

I renewed my passport by mail with the US Consulate in Bangkok last July and it went off smoothly.

Udon immigration also tried ripping me off for 500 THB for the free transfer of my visa information to the new passport.

About a month later I went to Laos, and on my return the Thai immigration officer wanted to see my old passport as he didn't seem to trust the transfer information in my new passport. Luckily, my cautious self had my old passport at hand, and then he was satisfied. I suggest carrying both passports until you've had some subsequent entries in the new passport.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 5, 2019, 9:09 am

UdonExpat wrote:
August 5, 2019, 8:58 am
. . .

About a month later I went to Laos, and on my return the Thai immigration officer wanted to see my old passport as he didn't seem to trust the transfer information in my new passport. Luckily, my cautious self had my old passport at hand, and then he was satisfied. I suggest carrying both passports until you've had some subsequent entries in the new passport.
Good advice.

I did the same when traveling outside of UTH until I renewed the following year.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 5, 2019, 11:46 am

[quote="Lone Star" post_id=550388 time=1564968311 user_id=35448]

[/quote ]

When mail in your current passport with your package, what do you use in the meantime to do 90-day reports and any other circumstances where a passport is required?

Thanks
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 5, 2019, 11:54 am

pf-flyer wrote:
August 5, 2019, 11:46 am
Lone Star wrote:
August 5, 2019, 8:25 am

When mail in your current passport with your package, what do you use in the meantime to do 90-day reports and any other circumstances where a passport is required?

Thanks
I did it right after a 90 Day Report so as not to have a problem, but I carried a copy and also had a photo of the picture page and visa page on my phone.

My DL usually suffices for hotels and other venues that require ID.

The process only took a couple of weeks. As I recall, about 10 days.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”