Visa Extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Visa Extension

Post by newtovillagelife » February 14, 2020, 11:46 am

So I went to Udon immigration yesterday to extend my expiring Visa as I had done many times before. I was going to get the 60 marriage extension and they wanted to see the paper for my wife's name change to my last name??????? I have never been asked this before?? My wife was not sure what they were talking about. We have been married 10 years and also have a 10 year old son. Anyone know what the deal is??? Thanks.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Extension

Post by LoneTraveler » February 14, 2020, 12:09 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
February 14, 2020, 11:46 am
So I went to Udon immigration yesterday to extend my expiring Visa as I had done many times before. I was going to get the 60 marriage extension and they wanted to see the paper for my wife's name change to my last name??????? I have never been asked this before?? My wife was not sure what they were talking about. We have been married 10 years and also have a 10 year old son. Anyone know what the deal is??? Thanks.
I have been married about 7 years. When I went to the Amphor to register the marriage, they asked her if she wanted to change her last name to mine, she said yes. All it took was some brief paper work and then they changed her national ID card to reflex the name change. Therefore if your marriage is registered at the Amphor I am sure she can go back there and change the name. You need to bring the marriage certificate and registration of the marriage. They should have it in the computer because one needs to update the KOR2 each year now for the extension. I got me extension in Udon Thani.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 14, 2020, 12:19 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
February 14, 2020, 12:09 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
I have been married about 7 years. When I went to the Amphor to register the marriage, they asked her if she wanted to change her last name to mine, she said yes. All it took was some brief paper work and then they changed her national ID card to reflex the name change. Therefore if your marriage is registered at the Amphor I am sure she can go back there and change the name. You need to bring the marriage certificate and registration of the marriage. They should have it in the computer because one needs to update the KOR2 each year now for the extension. I got me extension in Udon Thani.
Thanks, so are you saying this is now a requirement. And I wanted to add that her Thai id has my last name, and passport also????

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 14, 2020, 5:40 pm

there is absolutely NO benefit for a thai wife to change her family name after marrying a farang.
from a legal point of view she will run into problems if e.g. she owns land in her original family name.
all legal papers have to be changed - and there may be many - thai bureaucracy may become thai bureaucrazy.
no benefit.....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 14, 2020, 7:49 pm

samuel wrote:
February 14, 2020, 5:40 pm
there is absolutely NO benefit for a thai wife to change her family name after marrying a farang.
from a legal point of view she will run into problems if e.g. she owns land in her original family name.
all legal papers have to be changed - and there may be many - thai bureaucracy may become thai bureaucrazy.
no benefit.....
Maybe no benefit if residing here but im not sure think it makes difference to the Thai wife obtaining the husbands state pension and or other pensions and insurance policies etc when the hubby passes away.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 14, 2020, 8:52 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 14, 2020, 7:49 pm
samuel wrote:
no benefit.....
Maybe no benefit if residing here but im not sure think it makes difference to the Thai wife obtaining the husbands state pension and or other pensions and insurance policies etc when the hubby passes away.
Jon, My Mrs has had my Name since we were Married in 1993 but we have been told that when I pass Away She is NOT Entitled to receive my State Pension....So Go Figure...

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 15, 2020, 5:10 am

Just a heads up here which may be helpful, particularly to those extending on a marriage basis, when you're required to present two sets of papers to Immigration. Make sure you take original copies of documentation e.g. like the updated Kor2. I made the error of using my colour printer to take copies, leaving the original at home. The officer seemed particularly thorough and insisted, pleasantly, that she needed the original. So I had to make a second trip, even though it seems everything else in the substantial paperwork was in order. Very difficult to see the difference between the original and copies, but seemingly came down to the quality of paper used.
Incidentally, although the application is still in the 6 weeks? processing stage, I applied and trust it's being processed on the basis of monthly income (NOT lump sum, although that was sitting there as a backup) and, in case there was any query over where the income originated, provided additional documentation from the bank confirming UK.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 15, 2020, 5:24 am

Brian, Did you use an Income letter from Embassy that was issued before they stop giving out?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 15, 2020, 6:23 am

samuel wrote:
no benefit.....
Disagree completely! All TW documents, identification and legal papers carry my family name. An easy process to accomplish.

Proved to be beneficial several years ago when we loaned a close cousin one of our Chanots so as she could borrow money to send her husband to Israel for work. The bank insisted TW get a declaration from the Amphur signed by me allowing them to use the chanot having a Farang surname on it. A small win for us as a wayward TW just can't hock the assets without the Farang knowing. =D>
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 15, 2020, 7:13 am

i think there was a time it was obliged for the wife to change her last name to the falang name in case she was married to him , at least that is what we were told a long time ago , later they did change this again not being obligatory ? any one recalls?
i have changed my application to retirement extension for the moment i became 50 to avoid all this invented rubbish
and as to this... I made the error of using my color printer to take copies, leaving the original at home,
at least you admit being wrong it has always been obligatory to also having all original documents be present at application , why would this be any different for you ? because your color copy's were almost perfect ? except for the signatures maybe ?...why many people always want to bent the rules according to their way of view and than get burned is beyond my comprehension , do as they ask and all will be fine ...good luck to all... ;)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 15, 2020, 8:43 am

My Thai wife changed her last name to mine when we were married. I had told her that it was up to her. One reason she changed it was when we went on our little trips and checked into a hotel she didn't want them to think she was a prostitute.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 15, 2020, 9:57 am

Stantheman wrote:
February 15, 2020, 5:24 am
Brian, Did you use an Income letter from Embassy that was issued before they stop giving out?
No. I used the normal letter and bank statement from the local branch of my bank. But, as I said, with the possible issue of where the money came from being raised, I had additional, comprehensive evidence to support this from the bank h/q. I have to wait the usual extra weeks to ensure there's no hassle, but so far no problem from the Udon office.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Extension of permission to stay

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 15, 2020, 11:23 am

The general situation with application approval is that once you have submitted your paperwork and it’s been accepted as complete it is rare to get any request for additional documentation. Udon immigration generally knows if anything else is needed and tells you when you apply or at most within a working day or two.

Of course there can be exceptions but nobody that I remember has posted about late additions in any region.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 15, 2020, 11:40 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 15, 2020, 6:23 am
Proved to be beneficial several years ago when we loaned a close cousin one of our Chanots so as she could borrow money to send her husband to Israel for work. The bank insisted TW get a declaration from the Amphur signed by me allowing them to use the chanot having a Farang surname on it. A small win for us as a wayward TW just can't hock the assets without the Farang knowing. =D>
so what's the benefit between saying YES or YES to a loan?
being asked first!
whow!
:lol:

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » February 15, 2020, 11:45 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
February 14, 2020, 12:19 pm
LoneTraveler wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
Thanks, so are you saying this is now a requirement. And I wanted to add that her Thai id has my last name, and passport also????
I think you are all set. The name on her ID and Passport should be all you need as proof. Did the IO at Union see these documents?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 15, 2020, 12:05 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
February 15, 2020, 11:45 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
February 14, 2020, 12:19 pm
LoneTraveler wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
I think you are all set. The name on her ID and Passport should be all you need as proof. Did the IO at Union see these documents?
Yup but they wanted a paper showing the name change???

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 15, 2020, 12:12 pm

samuel wrote:
February 15, 2020, 11:40 am
<Snip>
so what's the benefit between saying YES or YES to a loan?
being asked first!
whow!
:lol:
I don't think you get! Really has nothing to do with loans. The point of the post was to hilite the benefits by having a Farang surname on Chanots etc. It places certain restrictions on them in our favour.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 17, 2020, 5:25 am

Hy guys ,
Just to add a little more confusion to this name change , the wife (before being my wife ) was working in Taiwan the was a limit of 5 years back in those days ,(don't know if it's still the same now ,) so in order to again get further years she changed her name and was allowed further employment ,BUT the passport number remains the same ,(it doesn't make sense ) we have the document for this name change and have always presented it along with divorce papers , marriage cert etc to IO , her i'd card , driving license etc all have her English name on them ,but i've never come across a name change Doc to her now married name ,i just thought it was automatic once married and registered at Ampur office , , i will endeavor to check more of this out further later today , to see what applies so far in this household ,

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 18, 2020, 6:39 am

My wife changed her name to mine at the local Umpur. When I reapply for my extension due to marriage, as I did late January, we present the originals and copies of the change of name document and coloured certificate we were given. The certificate is similar to a marriage certificate and the document is signed and officially stamped. Udon Immigration always give these back unwanted....

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 18, 2020, 6:57 am

As a follow on the certificate is labelled Kor Ror 5 the document has no label.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”