Visa Extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Extension

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2020, 3:44 pm

tamada wrote:
July 15, 2020, 2:01 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
July 15, 2020, 12:51 pm
Any option that involves crossing a border will more than likely mean a mandatory quarantine, and of course any traveling increases risk of contracting the virus.
Eliminate the imponderables that nobody has any control over, namely

1 ) Amnesty extension by Thai Immigration or otherwise.

2 ) Borders reopening or otherwise.

3 ) Restoration of international flights or otherwise.

4 ) Thai Embassies and Consulates having totally different requirements for any given visa application than before.

Pursue the only viable option available at the present time, namely

5 ) Get an agent to obtain you a legitimate Immigration approval that will actually allow you to stay here, no pressure.
Seems so, but if it was legitimate, it would be available at Udon Immigration, right???

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 15, 2020, 3:47 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 15, 2020, 3:44 pm
tamada wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
Any option that involves crossing a border will more than likely mean a mandatory quarantine, and of course any traveling increases risk of contracting the virus.

4 ) Thai Embassies and Consulates having totally different requirements for any given visa application than before.

5 ) Get an agent to obtain you a legitimate Immigration approval that will actually allow you to stay here, no pressure.
Seems so, but if it was legitimate, it would be available at Udon Immigration, right???
That's not a serious question for someone who's obviously been here a fair bit.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 15, 2020, 4:13 pm

tamada wrote:
July 15, 2020, 3:47 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
July 15, 2020, 3:44 pm
tamada wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:

That's not a serious question for someone who's obviously been here a fair bit.
It would save us a lot of time, and the agents CUT, if we could just deal with Immigration. Are they trying to save face and pretend they are not CORRUPT...oops I guess I just answered my own question.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 15, 2020, 4:33 pm

And who do you think are the visa agents silent partners

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 15, 2020, 4:54 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 15, 2020, 4:33 pm
And who do you think are the visa agents silent partners
Sir, I KNOW.....I KNOW...... :-# :-# :-#

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 15, 2020, 5:13 pm

Normal extensions are easily available in Udon

Brown envelopes can sometimes/often/usually get an extension that is not within the normal rules. They can also be used by those who can’t be bothered to do it themselves.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 15, 2020, 5:27 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 15, 2020, 5:13 pm

Brown envelopes can sometimes/often/usually get an extension that is not within the normal rules. They can also be used by those who can’t be bothered to do it themselves.
These are not a normal times, I have never had to resort to paying expedited fees for services rendered. It's a waiting game to see what the Government will do next. Had this been normal times I would be back working as a project controller instead of sitting here watching the rain. Not a case of can't be bothered it's a case of wanting to do it the right way. Since Udon, KK and Bangkok immigration cannot tell me yet as much as you know you will also not be able to say what's the right way to proceed. If people are worried use an agent if not let's wait and see

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 15, 2020, 9:24 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 15, 2020, 5:27 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 15, 2020, 5:13 pm

These are not a normal times, I have never had to resort to paying expedited fees for services rendered. It's a waiting game to see what the Government will do next. Had this been normal times I would be back working as a project controller instead of sitting here watching the rain. Not a case of can't be bothered it's a case of wanting to do it the right way. Since Udon, KK and Bangkok immigration cannot tell me yet as much as you know you will also not be able to say what's the right way to proceed. If people are worried use an agent if not let's wait and see
Nobody has information about if the amnesty will be extended or if not what the exit strategy for people will be. I think we will hear within the next 7 days.

Anyone who can get a 1 year extension should do so even if your previous strategy was to use ME visas or VE entry. The VE entry option is probably going to be suspended for the next few months at least. Border hops to get visas may be difficult even when the land borders open, and flying to nearby countries problematic as well.

You mentioned that your usual place of employment is seeing a rise in cases, to me that suggests it’s going to be 3 months minimum before it would be safe to go there.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 16, 2020, 10:09 am

dunroaming wrote:
July 15, 2020, 12:08 pm
Just back from a wet trip to Udon immigration they are doing nothing until the 31st if July or are given new instructions from Bangkok.
That cannot be right, as other IOs are doing extensions of Non IMM visas for marriage and retirement every day now. Indeed should not wait to 31Jul if currently expiring. If you are not set up for annual extensions only option is a dodgy agent to 'fix' things, a repatriation flight to home country where available or hope the IO extend the amnesty after 31-Jul. Cannot see local international borders with Lao, Cambodia and Myanmar opening freely anytime soon.

For peace of mind the annual extension with docs in order is my choice.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2020, 11:09 am

Mjkt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 10:09 am
dunroaming wrote:
July 15, 2020, 12:08 pm
Just back from a wet trip to Udon immigration they are doing nothing until the 31st if July or are given new instructions from Bangkok.
That cannot be right, as other IOs are doing extensions of Non IMM visas for marriage and retirement every day now. Indeed should not wait to 31Jul if currently expiring. If you are not set up for annual extensions only option is a dodgy agent to 'fix' things, a repatriation flight to home country where available or hope the IO extend the amnesty after 31-Jul. Cannot see local international borders with Lao, Cambodia and Myanmar opening freely anytime soon.

For peace of mind the annual extension with docs in order is my choice.
Post in the ThaiVisa forum this morning mentioned that Chiang Mai immigration turned away an applicant the other day, telling him to come back after the next immigration announcement. It also appears that prior to this, and like Udon immigration, they were operating (almost) normally.

YMMV

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 16, 2020, 11:30 am

The US and UK embassy's have stated they will no longer give letters for a visa extension.
The article says several embassy's will no longer give letters but only these 2 mentioned specifically.
They state if the visa amnesty is not extended you must leave the country.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... on-letters

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 16, 2020, 12:00 pm

pal52 wrote:
July 16, 2020, 11:30 am
The US and UK embassy's have stated they will no longer give letters for a visa extension.
The article says several embassy's will no longer give letters but only these 2 mentioned specifically.
They state if the visa amnesty is not extended you must leave the country.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... on-letters
But The British Embassy Are Just a Gang of W :censored: Mate,Now You Know !!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2020, 1:13 pm

When doing an extension based on marriage, can the "witness" be a family member?

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » July 16, 2020, 1:17 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 1:13 pm
When doing an extension based on marriage, can the "witness" be a family member?
Not a relative. Including family. Should also be known you and your wife at least one year, if I remember correctly. Anyway not relative.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2020, 1:33 pm

Thanks eagle.

Bugger...... half the Moo Baan shares the same surname as my wife - even though they may be 4th cousins twice removed. :?

I will start looking at the other half. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2020, 1:47 pm

A further question if someone can please help.

The application (for marriage extension) requires 3 bundles of documents - 1 x originals, and 2 x copies.

Does Immo keep all 3 bundles, or does the applicant get 1 back?

Thanks again.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 16, 2020, 2:35 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 1:47 pm
A further question if someone can please help.

The application (for marriage extension) requires 3 bundles of documents - 1 x originals, and 2 x copies.

Does Immo keep all 3 bundles, or does the applicant get 1 back?

Thanks again.
Not correct.

You need 2 sets of copies. You need the passport, marriage certificate and bank book maybe the KR5

Things like the bank letter can be original in 1 set copies in the other.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 3:21 pm

Udon Immo didn't take my dutifully prepared copies. I handed them over with the originals but she just left them on her desk & went to make her own copies for some reason. I was handed them back with the originals at the end of the session. Couldn't get any sense out of her why this happened.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2020, 4:16 pm

I guess I will find out tomorrow - several trees have died in the hope of getting me another 12 months in the LOS.

In the meantime:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 16, 2020, 5:44 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 16, 2020, 3:21 pm
Udon Immo didn't take my dutifully prepared copies. I handed them over with the originals but she just left them on her desk & went to make her own copies for some reason. I was handed them back with the originals at the end of the session. Couldn't get any sense out of her why this happened.
Which counter?

When I went in I had 2 sets and virtually all were used by the lady at No.3 she did add a couple of forms and an extra copy of a page from my passport, so maybe 4 extra in total.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”