RETIREMENT VISA PROCEDURES

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
vidmaster
udonmap.com

RETIREMENT VISA PROCEDURES

Post by vidmaster » March 20, 2021, 11:32 pm

Hi
Because of the COVID-19 situation my retirement Visa expired on the 2nd of January 2001.
I’m back in England and want to start the process again but it’s been so many years I forgotten what the procedures were to get the appropriate Visa to enable me to upgrade to an “O” Visa once I am back in Thailand. Can anybody remember what the procedures are as I’ve looked on the Thai embassy website but probably because of my age it doesn’t make any sense at all.
I appreciate all or any replies and apologise for being a nuisance thanks

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: RETIREMENT VISA PROCEDURES

Post by AlexO » March 21, 2021, 7:03 am

Normally you would apply for a 3 month non O visa in the UK and then convert to a 12 month extension of stay when in Thailand if you meet the financial requirements. I might be wrong but have heard that the Thai Consulate in the UK no longer issue these. Other way was normal tourist visa go to Vientiane and apply for a non O there but with borders being closed your buggered with that option. Sorry, just does not seem (to me) to be any other option than tourist visa the employ an agent to sort out at the usual extortionate prices. Sorry for the negativity.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 21, 2021, 7:15 am

From my memory I obtained a 90 day tourist Visa and within that 90 days , converted it to a O Retirement Visa, following all the procedures they required.
I expect you will NOPW need health Insurance to be able to acquire a 90 day ( if such a thing still exists ). Plus the fitness to fly.
Unless an urgent need to return, suggest wait until after October when entry rules are projected to subside especially relating to Covid etc.

Good luck

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 21, 2021, 9:41 am

If you have maintained the 800 k baht funds required in a Thai bank while you've been away and if you are a British passport holder, you should be able to come on a visa-exempt entry and apply locally for an extension based on Retirement before the visa-exempt entry expires. The existing 30-day visa-exempt entry has been extended to a 45-day entry to include the mandatory 14 nights (15 day) quarantine.

At the moment you would be required to spend 15-day's in alternate state quarantine (ASQ). This is at your cost, is prepaid and booked online.

You will need to have an insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than US$100,000. This can also be purchased online.

All the information you need is at the link below.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi ... 236972c562

If that looks all doable and you qualify for entry to Thailand, the FIRST step is to apply for the Certificate of Entry (CoE) which can also be done online, link below.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publi ... 236972c562

Keep in mind that the ASQ requirements will change after 1 April where vaccinated people with proof of vaccination need only spend 10 nights (11 days) in quarantine. The vaccination need to be both shots with the last shot being not less than 14-days and not more than 3 months prior to travel. If they have proof of vaccination and have a -ve PCR test not older than 72-hours, the quarantine is 7 nights (8 days). There's a possibility that this may all be waived in October if the whole world gets lucky.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2021, 12:56 pm

tamada wrote:
March 21, 2021, 9:41 am
If you have maintained the 800 k baht funds required in a Thai bank while you've been away and if you are a British passport holder, you should be able to come on a visa-exempt entry and apply locally for an extension based on Retirement before the visa-exempt entry expires. The existing 30-day visa-exempt entry has been extended to a 45-day entry to include the mandatory 14 nights (15 day) quarantine.
Sorry that information is incorrect.

You can not go from a visa exempt entry directly to a 1 year extension, you must go to a Non-O visa first.

If you want to get a Non-O visa in Thailand for the purpose of retirement, you are required to bring the 800k in from overseas (5.3) So if you already have the money in Thailand that is a bad option. If you need to bring in 800k anyway it is OK
7560DF12-6A42-48BA-AED3-1E3034145D01.jpeg
The simplest option is to get a Non-O visa and enter with that. The second simplest option (if the land borders open) is come in visa exempt and go to Laos and get a Non-O there.

The last simplest option (but most expensive) is to get a Non-OA visa, if the borders open within a year then you can stay for almost 2 years without an extension.

All entries to Thailand requirements have increased and all need at least 1 insurance (COVID-19 )The Non-OA needs 2 (COVID-19 and general medical )

Both the Non-O visa and the Non-OA are listed on the U.K. embassy website as being available for retirement but the online application only shows the OA for retirement.
03200295-CE45-4A1F-AAE8-820297E871D3.jpeg
ACF58994-5289-439F-A322-1407C4A83105.jpeg
I would contact the embassy for advice on getting the Non-O, I would also be somewhat economically with the truth and only ask how to get it, do not explain that you intend to stay longer as they may push you to a Non-OA.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 21, 2021, 1:07 pm

Can anyone confirm that the Thai Consulate in the UK no longer issue 90 day Non O visa's. Makes a huge difference.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2021, 1:45 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 21, 2021, 7:15 am
From my memory I obtained a 90 day tourist Visa and within that 90 days , converted it to a O Retirement Visa, following all the procedures they required.
In the past there was no 90 day tourist visa, you can not extend from a tourist visa directly to retirement you can only extend from a Non immigrant visa, so you would have had to get that before you can get a 1 year extension of stay.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 21, 2021, 3:11 pm

"So if you already have the money in Thailand that is a bad option. If you need to bring in 800k anyway it is OK"

Please explain in real words WTF you are talking about??

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 21, 2021, 3:51 pm

^^ Yes, I forgot the interim step from visa-exempt to locally issued Non-O. That's what I did between November last year and last February.

I don't understand the difference between already having 800 k baht in a Thai account that originated from overseas versus having to bring a whole "new" 800 k baht in.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2021, 4:41 pm

tamada wrote:
March 21, 2021, 3:51 pm
^^ Yes, I forgot the interim step from visa-exempt to locally issued Non-O. That's what I did between November last year and last February.

I don't understand the difference between already having 800 k baht in a Thai account that originated from overseas versus having to bring a whole "new" 800 k baht in.
This is only for retirement not marriage

The difference is that if you already have a Non-O visa you have fulfilled the financial requirements with the embassy or consular office. But if you are requesting an immigration office to issue a VISA in Thailand you have to fulfil the requirements in Thailand. Immigration is assuming that you are not usually residing in Thailand and so will need to show that your money came from outside Thailand.

The requirements for a Non-O for marriage assumes that your family may assist so are different.

Note if you transferred 800k into Thailand in the past AND you got and kept the transfer documents from your bank, immigration may well accept that, as the rules don’t give a date for the transfer. That is a question that you can only answer at the time you apply.

As I’ve said before immigration is very bad at answering hypothetical questions with a correct definitive reply.

I guess that if you give the documentation of transfer and an account that has had that balance since the transfer you will be OK but that’s only a guess.

The rules are designed for the normal situation,
Finish your working life in your country,
Come to Thailand on holiday,
Decide you want to stay.

Immigration doesn’t rule for every different possibility just the most common. It’s up to you to fit into the rules.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » March 21, 2021, 5:01 pm

Many thanks for your replies
I have 800k in a Thai bank and will not be returning until the ASQ system is stopped and I have qualifying insurance and will have had my 2 vaccinations
I will phone Thai Embassy London and will update the site with their advice as I’m sure there may be many people in a similar situation
Thanks again

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 21, 2021, 10:24 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 21, 2021, 4:41 pm
tamada wrote:

The difference is that if you already have a Non-O visa you have fulfilled the financial requirements with the embassy or consular office. But if you are requesting an immigration office to issue a VISA in Thailand you have to fulfil the requirements in Thailand. Immigration is assuming that you are not usually residing in Thailand and so will need to show that your money came from outside Thailand.

The requirements for a Non-O for marriage assumes that your family may assist so are different.

Note if you transferred 800k into Thailand in the past AND you got and kept the transfer documents from your bank, immigration may well accept that, as the rules don’t give a date for the transfer. That is a question that you can only answer at the time you apply.

As I’ve said before immigration is very bad at answering hypothetical questions with a correct definitive reply.

I guess that if you give the documentation of transfer and an account that has had that balance since the transfer you will be OK but that’s only a guess.

Decide you want to stay.

Immigration doesn’t rule for every different possibility just the most common. It’s up to you to fit into the rules.
I never mentioned a marriage extension and neither did the OP. That's a different can of worms.

Udon Immigration were happy with the balance of funds that had already been transferred into my 16 year-old Thai bank account without seeking providence of the source or asking for new funds. However, I can appreciate that this doesn't stop them doing the contrary for other applicants.

YMMV

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2021, 10:33 pm

vidmaster wrote:
March 21, 2021, 5:01 pm
Many thanks for your replies
I have 800k in a Thai bank and will not be returning until the ASQ system is stopped and I have qualifying insurance and will have had my 2 vaccinations
I will phone Thai Embassy London and will update the site with their advice as I’m sure there may be many people in a similar situation
Thanks again
In that case I would not contact the embassy until much closer to the date you wish to travel.

My guess is that you will not be looking to come for at least 6 months. The situation is likely to change between now and then so any information you get from the embassy today may well not be true in October.

The situation is quite fluid with various suggestions being put forward. There is nothing definite about ending quarantine or changes to the quarantine hotel system.

The qualifying insurance could well change also so no point in getting insured but then finding out you have to get something different.

The money in a Thai bank will probably not be useful if you are applying for a visa in the U.K. as AFIK you need funds in a U.K. bank when applying in the U.K. in fact I would not volunteer that you have money here.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 21, 2021, 10:59 pm

tamada wrote:
March 21, 2021, 10:24 pm
March 21, 2021, 4:41 pm
tamada wrote:

Decide you want to stay.

I never mentioned a marriage extension and neither did the OP. That's a different can of worms.

Udon Immigration were happy with the balance of funds that had already been transferred into my 16 year-old Thai bank account without seeking providence of the source or asking for new funds. However, I can appreciate that this doesn't stop them doing the contrary for other applicants.

YMMV
I was answering the question about the funds in the bank having a requirement (as the guide for the TM 86 - TM 87 forms shows) to have“ Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand” for a retirement Non-O visa whereas the same form for a visa for marriage doesn’t say where the money must come from.

Udon immigration may not enforce the requirement, other offices certainly do, it’s in the immigration guide.

While the OP was asking about a retirement stay he could be married and may prefer a marriage extension.

In the past a retirement extension’s only drawback was holding more money before applying, now the conditions around it makes getting a marriage Non-O and extension a better option for many.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 22, 2021, 7:25 am

March 21, 2021, 1:45 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
March 21, 2021, 7:15 am
In the past there was no 90 day tourist visa, you can not extend from a tourist visa directly to retirement you can only extend from a Non immigrant visa, so you would have had to get that before you can get a 1 year extension of stay.
Thanks actual name of Visa forgotten, it was 19 years ago .........lol

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”