Renew marriage visa

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Chriss
udonmap.com

Re: Renew marriage visa

Post by Chriss » May 28, 2021, 8:07 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 27, 2021, 2:14 pm
Hi I am about to renew marriage visa and a few months ago I read that there is now a requirement to include a document that states the date wife had her last name changed to husband's. Wife did this and has ID card reflecting name change but I am sure they will not accept the ID as proof. I have not read anything further. Has anyone been asked by Immigration for this document? Last time I renewed, IO told me to get a KOR 2 which is less than 7 days old even though the one I presented was 10 days old. My wife went to get new Kor 2 while I stayed and continued with the paper work. The woman doing my renewal looked at him strangely and just shook her head.

Thank you in advance
Did your wife change her family name when you married if so was the marriage before 2013?
My wife and I married early 2000’s, she changed her name later c2014, we received the KR5. I’ve included it in with my renewal paperwork ever since and it’s been accepted every year.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2021, 8:38 am

^ Good point. If the marriage was registered before 2009 (I think, maybe a wee bit later?) then it is impossible to get a KR5 (Kor Ror 5, a fancy, green-bordered certificate) for a Thai citizens name change. It doesn't exist in their database from which they generate the certificate.

However, the details of the spouses family name are included in the (Thai) small print on the obverse side of the KR2, a fresh copy of which IS required by the Udon Immo pencil necks. They know who does or doesn't need a KR5.

This was explained to Mrs tam and I by a very polite and patient desk jockey at the Udon Amphur office last year.

This quietly unstated fact of Thai immigration bureaucracy is why some married chaps were asked to show a KR5 at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet when applying for a "marriage visa" while others weren't. Even the helpful lady at the coffee shop opposite the Consulate who pre-screened applications for a small fee was unaware of precisely why some needed it and others didn't. Based on my observations, many stressed-out, married TEFL'ers had cows in her coffee shop over the years due to this oversight and obfuscation.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 28, 2021, 8:58 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:49 am
2 years ago I was asked to provide proof during the under consideration period.
Last year and this year I have not been asked for proof.
Possibly the kind of account the money is in has an influence.
i can confirm this because i experienced exactly the same.
the only difference from me to you is that my money is in a normal saving account and not in a fixed account.
so i guess the kind of account has no impact but i guess the practice 2 years ago was temporary imposed parallel to the then new Non O-A retirement extension practice saying the balance isn't allowed to go below 400k for the whole 12 month.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 28, 2021, 9:20 am

I have been legally married for more than 16 years. I applied for the visa based on marriage about 10 years ago. I encountered a lot of hassle from immigration and was told that a visa based on retirement would be very easy versus the marriage visa. I finally went that way and found no hoops to jump through. I still use that option. If you have the money to keep in the bank, that saves a lot of hassles. I would guess that the hoops to jump through vary depending on the immigration office.

Somchai499
udonmap.com

Post by Somchai499 » May 28, 2021, 9:42 am

STW wrote:

'Personally my money is in a 4 year fixed term deposit that is currently paying more interest than most accounts so I easily cover all requirements, real or additional'

So I assume this implies that Udon Immigration is happy to accept the money for Extension of Stay to be in a fixed term account?

Many thanks

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 28, 2021, 10:32 am

Somchai499 wrote:
May 28, 2021, 9:42 am
STW wrote:

'Personally my money is in a 4 year fixed term deposit that is currently paying more interest than most accounts so I easily cover all requirements, real or additional'

So I assume this implies that Udon Immigration is happy to accept the money for Extension of Stay to be in a fixed term account?

Many thanks
It depends on the rules for the account, as long as the account permits withdraw at any time it meets the requirement.

The Krungsri (D. Time Deposit Account) on page 4 are definitely acceptable 48 months currently pay 0.85%
deposit-rates-08032564-en.pdf
(978.44 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Since I opened mine a couple of years ago it’s a bit higher than that.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 28, 2021, 10:55 am

samuel wrote:
May 28, 2021, 8:58 am
2 years ago I was asked to provide proof during the under consideration period.
Last year and this year I have not been asked for proof.
Possibly the kind of account the money is in has an influence.
i can confirm this because i experienced exactly the same.
the only difference from me to you is that my money is in a normal saving account and not in a fixed account.
so i guess the kind of account has no impact but i guess the practice 2 years ago was temporary imposed parallel to the then new Non O-A retirement extension practice saying the balance isn't allowed to go below 400k for the whole 12 month.
That’s an interesting datum point.
My 2019 extension was using a savings account since then I have the deposit account, so that’s why I guessed the account could be an influence.

It would be interesting to know from other people who have got marriage extensions since 2019 if their experience is similar to ours, since 2 could just be coincidence while a few more would suggest policy

NOTE added.
The question is not about account types as those are clearly defined. It is about being asked to prove funds in your account after application and before the marriage extension is issued.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 28, 2021, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 28, 2021, 11:35 am

..sorry for my sarcasm..but do they really have something called.."policy"??

Other then me being sarcastic,i don't envy the staff at Immi,they are working their butts off trying their best to get everything running as smood as possibly during these Covid times. =D> =D>

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 28, 2021, 11:41 am

saint wrote:
May 28, 2021, 5:55 am
Niggly wrote:
May 27, 2021, 8:27 pm
May 27, 2021, 8:19 pm

Both marriage and retirement are 2 months before application.

The 3 month before requirement was only ever for retirement and it changed a couple of years ago to the same 2 months as marriage needs.
Does this mean for a marriage extension a copy of the book showing a starting balance of 400k+ two months before application & an ending balance of 400k+ on the day of application without it dropping below inbetween will suffice over a bank statement?
No .
Happy to help .
Wrong, so moving on……….

Mine is called a Fixed Account on the Bangkok Bank app if that helps anyone.

My regular everyday ones are called Savings Accounts which I guess would be called Current Accounts in the UK
Last edited by Niggly on June 23, 2021, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2021, 11:48 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
May 28, 2021, 11:35 am

Other then me being sarcastic,i don't envy the staff at Immi,they are working their butts off trying their best to get everything running as smood as possibly during these Covid times. =D> =D>
Maybe t's not so much sarcasm as it is pragmatism?

In my Thai colloquialism translator, their word for "Policy" translates as YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 28, 2021, 12:18 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:

To plagiarise Groucho Marx

The Thai system could be summarised as

Those are my policies and if you don't like them... Well, I have others. :)

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 28, 2021, 1:13 pm

tamada wrote:
May 28, 2021, 11:48 am
DuiDui49 wrote:

Maybe t's not so much sarcasm as it is pragmatism?

In my Thai colloquialism translator, their word for "Policy" translates as YMMV.
Had look the word up,and it sums Immi and their policy to a T.l

"Pragmatism is a philosophical tradition that considers words and thought as tools and instruments for prediction, problem solving, and action, and rejects the idea that the function of thought is to describe, represent, or mirror reality."...

Thanks Tam for the lesson today.i you are willing to learn and not lazy,you just might,like me today,learn something new.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 29, 2021, 2:55 pm

dunroaming wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:28 am
noosard wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:01 am
Unless IMO is wrong they told me 400k 3 months before renewal
I am doing it right now for July renewal
From what I remember it's 2 months plus the 1 month your application is being considered. So if renewing July 1st the 400k should have been deposited before May 1
The requirement for keeping the 400k during period of under consideration is an additional one by Udon, it doesn’t apply universally, you will be informed during your application if you need to come back and the date you need to return with proof if it applies to you.

2 years ago I was asked to provide proof during the under consideration period. Last year and this year I have not been asked for proof. Possibly the kind of account the money is in has an influence.
Gents, thanks for the responses.
I understand the application process and the funding requirements prior to the application. My question was how long after the application is granted is the requirement to hold minimum money in the account for say the first two months and how much is the minimum requirement to hold money for the duration of the extension. Example retirement, 800K for two months after extension is granted and not below 400K for duration (unless you want to contributed to the tea fund).

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 29, 2021, 6:59 pm

AlexO wrote:
May 29, 2021, 2:55 pm
dunroaming wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:28 am
noosard wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:01 am
Unless IMO is wrong they told me 400k 3 months before renewal
I am doing it right now for July renewal
From what I remember it's 2 months plus the 1 month your application is being considered. So if renewing July 1st the 400k should have been deposited before May 1
The requirement for keeping the 400k during period of under consideration is an additional one by Udon, it doesn’t apply universally, you will be informed during your application if you need to come back and the date you need to return with proof if it applies to you.

2 years ago I was asked to provide proof during the under consideration period. Last year and this year I have not been asked for proof. Possibly the kind of account the money is in has an influence.
Gents, thanks for the responses.
I understand the application process and the funding requirements prior to the application. My question was how long after the application is granted is the requirement to hold minimum money in the account for say the first two months and how much is the minimum requirement to hold money for the duration of the extension. Example retirement, 800K for two months after extension is granted and not below 400K for duration (unless you want to contributed to the tea fund).
If you are asking about retirement
F01F9693-A219-4EE1-995C-7D5FE61A756B.jpeg
If asking about marriage see my reply to you in the other thread

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 30, 2021, 4:41 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 27, 2021, 2:14 pm
Hi I am about to renew marriage visa and a few months ago I read that there is now a requirement to include a document that states the date wife had her last name changed to husband's. Wife did this and has ID card reflecting name change but I am sure they will not accept the ID as proof. I have not read anything further. Has anyone been asked by Immigration for this document? Last time I renewed, IO told me to get a KOR 2 which is less than 7 days old even though the one I presented was 10 days old. My wife went to get new Kor 2 while I stayed and continued with the paper work. The woman doing my renewal looked at him strangely and just shook her head.

Thank you in advance
LT , this is what i wrote back in january
harry68 wrote: ↑January 14, 2021, 5:37 am
Hi all
has anyone done a marriage visa recently in udon
will be doing it myself next week and looking for any tips to make it as painless as possible

Cheers
harry
there has been a new one over the last 10 months or so , (gay lords extortion tactics ) your wife's name change document , when you got married ,if you were married before 2008 there's a very good chance you wont have it as they only started to issue the document in 2008 ,,but pre warned is good as when you go to get the updated Kor Tor 2 you can request confirmation of your wife's name change when you got married ,Gay lord has often used this tactic on many to try to get a back hander ,

I was hoping now that gay lord has moved on that this would be dropped ,but it would seem by reports of late they are still using it ,
new boy front desk ,(was being trained up by the new Lady boss , when i popped in there ) here's the new boss "same as the other boss , " maybe, ,,,i've never seen as many staff behind the desks as i did that day ,

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 30, 2021, 3:08 pm

Hoopoe, thank you for information on Kor 5 I will obtain it and use for extension

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » May 31, 2021, 11:07 am

I know this thread is about renewing marriage visa, but I had a question about renewing a Retirement Visa.
Do you need to maintain a minimum of 400k for the entire year (basically always) and of course 800k 3 months before and after extension, because during the past 12 months I have had a balance lower than 400k for a short period. Thanks any info would help to clarify???

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 31, 2021, 11:48 am

I did my retirement (non O) extension on 20 May. After everything was stamped and ready to hand over, the lady passed the 'announcement' to me that said: In case of retirement: (4) at least 2 months prior to the filing date and at least 3 months after being granted permission, an alien must have a deposit in the Thai bank located in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht. After being granted permission for 3 months, an alien can withdraw the said deposit and must have the remaining balance in the bank account of no less than 400,000 baht or:
(5) Must have an annual earning and a deposit in Thai bank located in Thailand with totaling of no less than 800,000 baht as of the filing date. The said deposit must remain in the bank account prior to and after the permission is granted and the withdrawal can be made under the same condition stated in the criteria for consideration no. (4).

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 31, 2021, 1:32 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
May 31, 2021, 11:07 am
I know this thread is about renewing marriage visa, but I had a question about renewing a Retirement Visa.
Do you need to maintain a minimum of 400k for the entire year (basically always) and of course 800k 3 months before and after extension, because during the past 12 months I have had a balance lower than 400k for a short period. Thanks any info would help to clarify???
There has just been a thread on the subject, I cost the poster ฿12,000 to get his extension. You may be lucky enough to be given that option. However it’s actually a reason to refuse a renewal, or to pay the agent fees.
FE43BB85-C25E-4501-89E9-5212E0C6B9FA.jpeg
FE43BB85-C25E-4501-89E9-5212E0C6B9FA.jpeg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 2112 times

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2021, 2:01 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
May 31, 2021, 11:07 am
Yes Mate.
They fined me 12K for 2 weeks below 400K (less than 30K below for two weeks). Seems the tea money fund is very low just now. Hands up my fault but looking for every excuse these days. Even said "very sorry while looking into my eyes"

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”