covid insurance for all visa extensions ?

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
kopkei
udonmap.com

covid insurance for all visa extensions ?

Post by kopkei » June 16, 2021, 7:46 am

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... Zw2nhOXNP0
so are they going to implement this also for all thais ? .... :?

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Re: covid insurance for all visa extensions ?

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 16, 2021, 8:02 am

bad news for many thai families . long lines of foreigners out . glad I do not have to worry about it as it is written today .
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 16, 2021, 8:38 am

The reporting by the Bangkok Post is also flawed and the details are sketchy. They seem to be confused with those of us who are here on extensions of stay of one year whose original visa was a non-immigrant O or O-A and those who are making new applications abroad. The current regulation requiring the 400,000 In-Patient and 40,000 Out-Patient Insurance is only for those whose original visa was a Non-Immigrant O-A based on retirement and who are now here on annual extensions of stay or those making new applications abroad. Those making the rules changes have a long way to go before they understand it enough to release full clarity to the press.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 8:39 am

Easy enough.

LUMA Thailand Pass (Thailand)

Applicable from age 1-74.
Approved for STV, TR, Non-OA and Non-O Visa.
Meets the 100.000 USD and COVID 19 coverage requirements.
Coverage up to 3.500.000 THB for accident/illness/COVID 19 and 1.000.000 THB of Personal Accident.
Also covers if you are asymptomatic after testing positive.
No Deductible and No Waiting Periods, coverage from Day 1 including possible medical expenses incurred during your quarantine period.
No direct billing EXCEPT FOR covid. If you are hospitalised because of COVID, LUMA will pay the Hospital directly (also if no symptoms). For other Hospitalisations it will be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Outpatient is always on a pay and claim back basis.
When applying online, your Certificate of Insurance will be issued within minutes via email.
All ages the same rates.
Please note: pre-existing conditions are excluded from coverage.

The premiums:
30 days 3100 THB
60 days 5300 THB
90 days 7400 THB
180 days 18500 THB
270 days 25000 THB
365 days 31500 THB

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 16, 2021, 8:40 am

semperfiguy wrote:
June 16, 2021, 8:38 am
The reporting by the Bangkok Post is also flawed and the details are sketchy. They seem to be confused with those of us who are here on extensions of stay of one year whose original visa was a non-immigrant O or O-A and those who are making new applications abroad. The current regulation requiring the 400,000 In-Patient and 40,000 Out-Patient Insurance is only for those whose original visa was a Non-Immigrant O-A based on retirement and who are now here on annual extensions of stay or those making new applications abroad. Those making the rules changes have a long way to go before they understand it enough to release full clarity to the press.
excellent points . long way to go before any thing is clear .
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 8:50 am

semperfiguy wrote:
June 16, 2021, 8:38 am
Your reticence is understandable but the opening paragraph does say (my emphasis):

All foreigners living in Thailand as non-immigrants will in the future have to prove they have insurance coverage of at least US$100,000 (three million baht) against Covid-19.

To me this means ALL FOREIGNERS which includes those already here on any sort of extension and not just those applying for a visa outside the country.

For example, I have a Ret Ext. I am out of the country but when I return, I would have to purchase about 3-months of 'Covid cover' to qualify for my CoE. I seriously doubt that when my Ret Ext falls due and my short-term Covid cover expires, that they won't ask for 1-year of Covid cover as part of the qualification.

I agree that the devil is in the details but if they are intent on making sure that ALL non-immigrants are ALWAYS covered while in the country, it makes sense to ask for those on Extensions to be ALWAYS covered as well.

I hasten to add that those that already have existing insurance should check that their current coverage does cover the mandated minimums. Most already do and can issue the certification that is required regardless if you are planning a visit or are already here.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 16, 2021, 9:23 am

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/122064 ... ong-stays/

thai visa quickly closed their thread on it . said only for OA visas . wonder how they know that ? they do have connections with visa agencies so may be they know . interesting any way .

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 16, 2021, 9:26 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
June 16, 2021, 9:23 am

thai visa quickly closed their thread on it . said only for OA visas . wonder how they know that ? they do have connections with visa agencies so may be they know . interesting any way .
Because it wont happen to all visas
Figure out how all the foreign workers getting peanuts for pay could afford this

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 16, 2021, 9:30 am

The front page story in the BP titled "Virus cover needed for long stays" is very misleading. I just read the minutes of the cabinet meeting (in Thai) and it clearly says this is only for O-A visas AND their intention is to help long-stay foreigners over 50.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/statu ... 5022248962
found this post in related thai visa thread . seems bangkok news paper did not report accurately according to this .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 16, 2021, 9:38 am

As I recall, the rules mandating insurance for Non-OA came into effect just a few years ago. Although Non-O are exempt....at this time.....I'd be hard pressed to explain why.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 16, 2021, 9:40 am

I have a retirement visa, when I leave and come back to Thailand (frequently) I have to show my covid insurance and am not allowed to board without it. I have seen several people rejected at the gate for not having insurance - FACT

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 9:44 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:

They may have closed that thread as it was an obvious copy/paste from the Bangkok Post. But they linked the closure to an earlier thread that is basically the same washing machine further into it's rinse cycle. All shall be revealed in good time.

Then again, maybe it won't.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 9:47 am

noosard wrote:
June 16, 2021, 9:26 am
Declan MacPherson wrote:

Because it wont happen to all visas
Figure out how all the foreign workers getting peanuts for pay could afford this
Isn't that what school admin and company HR departments are for?

Failing that, there are always agents.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 9:49 am

So MAYBE covid insurance will be a requirement for long stayers here .. will it be a short term measure ?? or permanent criteria as confirmed by the government at some point in the future months / years everyone will be vaccinated... it could be one will have to show proof of BOTH vaccine and covid insurance or one or the other.

As noos points out how will this effect the thousands of foreign workers that are relied on and paid low wages to do jobs many here will not do . construction , shrimp markets etc etc , no doubt they will find the standard "agents" way around this issue with obese envelopes falling off tables TIT

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 16, 2021, 9:57 am

The Thais are quaking in their boots at the prospect of trying to keep a foreign covid patient alive on their own dime.
That just doesn't compute.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 16, 2021, 9:58 am

dunroaming wrote:
June 16, 2021, 9:40 am
I have a retirement visa, when I leave and come back to Thailand (frequently) I have to show my covid insurance and am not allowed to board without it. I have seen several people rejected at the gate for not having insurance - FACT
I came in on a new Non-O in March. I had to have 90 days of covid insurance to cover the period of my visa. However, when I did my extension of stay in June for a year, I was not required to have covid insurance.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 16, 2021, 10:08 am

Just been reading Richard Barrows page.
He states that he has read the Minutes of Meeting in Thai,

"Virus cover needed for long stays" is very misleading. I just read the minutes of the cabinet meeting (in Thai) and it clearly says this is only for O-A visas AND their intention is to help long-stay foreigners over 50 .

https://www.richardbarrow.com/

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 16, 2021, 10:49 am

parrot wrote:
June 16, 2021, 9:58 am
dunroaming wrote:
June 16, 2021, 9:40 am
I came in on a new Non-O in March. I had to have 90 days of covid insurance to cover the period of my visa. However, when I did my extension of stay in June for a year, I was not required to have covid insurance.
You didn't renew at an airline Check in desk, if you come from outside Thailand u need insurance inside Thailand as usual will be up to the IO on the day. My point was to highlight rules coming back to here

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 12:25 pm

Here's an update on the recently proposed insurance requirements and it does suggest that it will apply to the serial long-time lurkers like DM.

1. The first visa application must include health insurance or government welfare with minimum coverage of $100,000 or 3 million baht for medical expenses and treatment of Covid-19.

2. Applications for extension of stay can use health insurance from abroad or government welfare from abroad. This must be certified by a relevant government agency, such as a foreign embassy in Thailand or the country’s Foreign Ministry.

3. If an insurer refuses coverage due to health risks, visa applicants must submit additional documents including the letter of refusal, plus securities, deposits and other health insurance accounting for at least 3 million baht.

Of course nothing is cut and dried here in LOS.

YMMV
TiT

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002065

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 12:43 pm

tamada wrote:
June 16, 2021, 12:25 pm
Here's an update on the recently proposed insurance requirements and it does suggest that it will apply to the serial long-time lurkers like DM.

Ive been ""serial long stay lurking"" here legally for over 20 years Tam .. and ive experienced a few different visa types .. Tourist , Married , Business and Non O dependancy the rules and regs have changed so many times you just got to go with the flow and supply the correct docs to match the criteria... and IMO the same goes with this new POSSIBLE add on to applications .. its another wait n see job same as the vaccine situation.

I think this will happen .. regardless if you have been vaccinated or not and in the future one may have to show proof of vaccine plus covid insurance when applying for a visa... lots of miles in this yet.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”