Food grade molases.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Food grade molases.

Post by trubrit » January 25, 2018, 9:18 am

I have a recipe that requires me to use black molases and I can't find it anywhere.My Thai friends tell me it's called Gak Namn Tan, but when I found that it was being used as a fertilizer so I guess not food grade .

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Food grade molases.

Post by Udon Map » January 25, 2018, 11:06 am

trubrit wrote:
January 25, 2018, 9:18 am
I have a recipe that requires me to use black molases and I can't find it anywhere.My Thai friends tell me it's called Gak Namn Tan, but when I found that it was being used as a fertilizer so I guess not food grade.
Trubrit, I just spoke to someone here who tells me that you have it right. I have asked her to type it out in Thai; hopefully that will help you find it in a market. Thai: กากาน้ำตาล -- Adjusted for a typo, should be กากน้ำตาล as Shado pointed out!!

She knows exactly what you're talking about. However, as you indicated, they apparently use it differently in Thailand. She told me that they combine it with scraps and discarded vegetables and let it sit for a while, after which they use it as fertilizer. She wondered, as you did, if the liquid molasses is sufficiently filtered to be of food quality.

I'm told that there are two places on the left side on the road to Nong Khai that sell it, and that they both have large signs, easily visible from the street, which say that they have it. She suggested that for food quality molasses, your best bets would likely be Tops or Villa Market.

Good luck!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Udon Map wrote: Thai: กากาน้ำตาล
I believe that should be กากน้ำตาล na khrap.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » January 25, 2018, 12:27 pm

Bought mine at Villa Market....Grandmother's Molasses..or something similar..

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 25, 2018, 12:52 pm

I believe that is Grandma's molasses DuiDui and I've bought that at Villa Market as well. It is a milder molasses and sweeter than Black or Blackstrap (as we call it back home). Here is a bit of info on molasses.

https://www.thekitchn.com/a-guide-to-mo ... nce-210864

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » January 25, 2018, 3:04 pm

Shado wrote:
January 25, 2018, 12:21 pm
Udon Map wrote: Thai: กากาน้ำตาล
I believe that should be กากน้ำตาล na khrap.
Miew says that you're correct!! She made a typo, and has insisted on going back and correcting her earlier entry. Done!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Still haven't been able to find food grade black molasses. With all the sugar , both beet and cane growing in the area it must be around somewhere surely . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 8, 2018, 4:29 pm

I have been looking for this for years here! With Thailands sugar production, you'd think easy to buy!
Is it simular to black treacle,or maybe can use as a substitute. But not seen that either!
กากน้ำตาล
"Kāk n̂ảtāl" ?

Return to “I'm Looking For....”