Briggs & Stratton or Honda lawnmower

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Briggs & Stratton or Honda lawnmower

Post by vincemunday » July 8, 2018, 12:36 pm

Where is the best place to buy either a Briggs or Honda powered lawnmower, any recommendations?

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Briggs & Stratton or Honda lawnmower

Post by dunroaming » July 8, 2018, 12:44 pm

Vincent

Might be worth trying here as a starting point

https://powerproducts.honda.th.com/dcs- ... cale=en_US

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

Not to long ago someone posted about a place in Cabin Buri , think it's worth checking through previous post's about lawn mowers

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Bought mine Homepro.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 8, 2018, 1:18 pm

Do Home stock Honda mowers.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » July 8, 2018, 4:23 pm

toolpro have a few normally

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » July 8, 2018, 4:39 pm

bought my briggs stratton at home pro

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 8, 2018, 5:06 pm

Tool Pro can order an imported all original Honda self-propelled from Japan for 28K baht. They showed me a an order sheet that also had an original Honda push type. I think was 22K.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 8, 2018, 9:26 pm

I paid nearly 18,000b for a Honda self propelling model.didnt take much notice at the time but after a few times I used it a few time I realised it probably only the motor that's supplied by Honda.the rest of is crap.bag split within months,throttle levers fell to bits.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 9, 2018, 12:17 am

Yes Marco, that's nearly always the case with lawn mowers, generators and brush cutters etc, you still have to look at the quality if the shell it sits in, ones with Chinese engines tend to be a bit rubbish so it's better to get a decent brand if you can.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » July 9, 2018, 6:10 am

I bought a Rover (made in Australia) at Global House 7 years ago. Think (not sure) it has a Briggs and Stratton. Still running fine. I use it on average once a week for about an hour. All I've done is replace blades, change spark plug (once), and oil change once a year.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Here is a link to a previous Post. Parrot and FDMike recommended this shop. Like I said you can order an ordinal Imported Honda from Tool Pro. They also have an outstanding mechanic.

post514510.html#p514510

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2018, 2:42 pm

The case of the honda mower and the Honda mower.
I bought a mower at Toolpro in Jun 2011.....17,500Baht, power rear drive, authentic Honda GXV160 engine, Sakari body and controls. Until last year, the mower was used to cut just under an acre of grass....frequently. The transmission on that mower lasted just under 2 years......pretty much problems after one year. After 2 years, I tore out the transmission and just use the mower as a push mower. The engine fires up first time, every time even after 7 years of heavy duty use. I've had to spot weld a few places on the mower body, but all things considered, it's still holding up after all this time. I also replaced the throttle controls and cables and wheels. I buy the 20" top steel blade at the 3 sisters shop just past the fountain circle for about 220 Baht a crack....they last most of the year. My gardener still uses this mower for about half our yard (1/2ish of an acre).

Last year I bought the real mccoy Honda HRJ216 from the shop in Buriram (mentioned in the tagged post previously) for 27,000. It was shipped here for 550 Baht. The engine is a real Honda and the body, frame, controls everything is real Honda.......and appears to be a contractor-grade machine. The engine is basically the same as the other mower I bought several years ago. In effect, I spent an extra 9500 Baht for a better built body, better controls, and a Honda direct drive transmission. The mower came with split Honda blades....but I swapped that out for a single blade....again from the 3 sisters shop. You could probably get Bob Manthey to install a single blade for you before he ships it here. While in the US this past spring, I shopped compared mowers at Lowes and Home Depot. The mower I bought in 2011 would cost about $200 in the US.....here 17,500 Baht. The real deal Honda I bought last April would cost over $700. So, in my estimation, the real deal is the better buy here........but would only be worth it if you've got a lot to mow. If you're looking at an hour a week on flat land, I'd go for the Honda engine with Sakari body......you'll get your mowing and exercise in all at once.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 9, 2018, 3:04 pm

vincemunday wrote:
July 9, 2018, 12:17 am
Yes Marco, that's nearly always the case with lawn mowers, generators and brush cutters etc, you still have to look at the quality if the shell it sits in, ones with Chinese engines tend to be a bit rubbish so it's better to get a decent brand if you can.
I the end I just married the gf and got her a pair of 6 inch scissors.still a bit unreliable and slow but does a good cut if you ask me. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2018, 6:53 pm

vincemunday wrote:
July 9, 2018, 12:17 am
The real mccoy Honda lawn mower is made in China. My first no-name (TUF) 2950 Baht chainsaw lasted 5 years (with a new bar, chain and carb during that time). My second is another no-name (2900 Baht) and has passed 3 years with one new chain. I've since learned the tricks of sharpening a chain so probably won't deal with another chain for some time. In the past 4 months, we've felled two extra large trees that were leaning toward power lines, cut up another large tree that was dead, made logs out of a 50 foot pine, trimmed up a tamarind tree and several neem trees, and took out another pine that termites had infected. For just under $100, the chainsaws have easily been worth the cost. Our genuine Honda weedwacker is just shy of 7 years old.....takes a licking.....and has cost less than 1500 Baht in maintenance over the period (a new shaft, new clutch, carb adjustments).........it's made in China. Finally, my under 3000 Baht hedgetrimmer is umpteen years old.....again, several maintenance things done, but none more than a few hundred baht. The trimmer gets a major workout every two weeks.
Oops, forgot the blower.......one of those handheld things that is handy to blow out appliances, window frames, or the porch after a termite attack. The first one I bought at Makro for under 500 Baht.....it lasted several years.......I bought another, just like the first. I could have bought a Hitachi for 3500 Baht........but didn't.

Yes, some things from China are what you pay for.....a toaster many years ago fried on the first piece of bread. I think it cost 200 Baht.....Big C refunded my money.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » July 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

parrot wrote:
July 9, 2018, 6:53 pm

Yes, some things from China are what you pay for.....a toaster many years ago fried on the first piece of bread. I think it cost 200 Baht.....Big C refunded my money.
You could have bought a milkshake for that Image
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 9, 2018, 8:14 pm

I’m sure a lot of products are made in China without us knowing it but I was out looking today and I’d say there’s a definite difference in quality between Honda and the generic Chinese motors. In any case, DoHome have Briggs and Stratton, probably also put together in Asia somewhere but once again the build quality seems to be even better than the Honda and I had one in the U.K. and it lasted forever so it’s most likely the one I’ll buy.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 10, 2018, 7:40 am

Many years ago I owned a tool shop, part time for me full time for the ex. I was amazed at how many hand held power tools were all made in the same production facility in Taiwan. Name information was changed on each device. But, that was the only difference and oh yes prices were different. Still that way I have no idea?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 10, 2018, 9:37 am

Im sure you're right, I've seen two very similar (exactly the same) drills for example, one OEM and the other Makita but to be honest 9 times out of 10 I would buy the Makita. That said, the Briggs engines seem to be quite unique, slimline, robust and very well built, the generic Chinese ones are most likely okay but they don't look as well constructed, they're quite clumpy and as I know absolutely nothing about engines I'm most likely to go for the Briggs because I've owned one before and had no problems with it.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Parrot I bought same model Sakari. The cables are crap. I replaced them twice. Mine is 5 years old but "my wife only mows" 1/4 rai. :D I found that taking the mower to Tool Pro yearly for service is the trick. The mechanic there sharpens the blade, changes the oil, lubes the cables, cleans filters and the entire machine, 460 baht. You should see all the Thai writing on the mower deck. The mechanic's notes to himself. Oh yea, the grass catcher bag bottom wore out after 2 years. I had an auto shop in Udon fit a new plastic hide bottom. My brother-in-law back in the states has a 15 year old Honda, self propelled, electric start still running. When the Sakari craps out my wife will get the best..... Honda ;)

Return to “I'm Looking For....”