U.S. Politics

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by Whistler » December 21, 2022, 10:43 am

noosard wrote:
December 21, 2022, 10:34 am
Asked about Rudd’s suitability for the role considering the harsh criticisms of his management style by some former Labor government colleagues,

says alot
Noos,

Not many know just how bad his management style was. The guy hardly slept, was a micromanager, a ditherer. He used to start on the whisky around 7:00pm, work until the early hours and grew more demanding and difficult as the night progressed.

However, horses for courses. He will not be managing a whole country, this role suits him better, he was a successful career diplomat before he went into politics, so has a proven track record in diplomatic service. Albo and the other Labor ministers know him very well, I think they are in a far better position to judge his ability for this role than either you or me. My opinion for what it is worth, is it is an ideal role for him. I have had some interaction with him in the past, so base this view on what I have seen and what others whose opinion I value as well.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 21, 2022, 11:19 am

As an addendum to last post

Those who have praised the appointment of Rudd as US ambassador

Labor
Anthony Albanese - Australian Prime minister
Penny Wong - Australian Foreign Minister
Bob Carr - former NSW Premier and Australian foreign minister
etc, etc, etc

Liberal
Malcolm Turnbull - Former Prime Miister
Arthur Sidonis - Current Ambassador to USA
Joe Hockey - Former Ambassador to USA
etc etc, etc

Those who have criticised the choice

noos - UFES
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 22, 2022, 4:59 am

Still make stuff up ah whistle
show where noos ufes said anything about albo and rudd's appointment

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 22, 2022, 6:42 am

"Asked about Rudd’s suitability for the role considering the harsh criticisms of his management style by some former Labor government colleagues,

says alot"

Yes noos your posting does say a lot about your negativity on the posting

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 22, 2022, 8:15 am

I didnt say that the newspaper article did which was your posting SMH
Says a lot you cant see the difference

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 22, 2022, 10:56 am

Noos, nobody is fooled by you cherry picking words from the article to suit your bias. When I quoted the article I did so in full.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 22, 2022, 4:12 pm

Exactly some like some dont
but you said i said which i did not

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » December 22, 2022, 4:26 pm

Irrespective of the suitability for the role, l am curious to know who in the labour government out muscled the PM, when he earlier emphatically stated that Kevin Rudd would not be the Ambassador to the USA. For clarity, the PM’s assertion was televised.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 22, 2022, 4:52 pm

Wont get answer to that Tony

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 22, 2022, 6:36 pm

Let me suggest a possible scenario.

Albo was interviewed prior to last May's election, Sidonis at that time had almost a year to go on his appointment. A decision to replace him would have been left open at that point, it would be dumb to forecast or lock in a decision so far out from the date to replace Sidonis. At that stage Albo was not even PM. Tony is 100% wrong saying Rudd had not emphatically said he was not appointing Rudd, he emphatically said there was no deal done to appoint him, so Tony is wrong in that statement.

Now, nearly a year down the line, a choice has been made. BFD. Why are you clowns determined to make the worst possible fist of the appointment? Because you are clowns is the simple answer

The choice is widely lauded by both sides of politics, but you two, who don't have any knowledge about the process carry on like pork chops.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 22, 2022, 7:03 pm

My opinion, selection of the UK Ambassador to the US isn't that big of a deal. Not like he'll be handling anything that can't be handled via a secure phone call and any trouble/drama he might cause can be handled by by-passing him or firing him or in extreme cases having him arrested by UK authorities.

I'm mainly waiting for Trump's taxes to be released, seeing if the DOJ will indict him for Jan 6 and seeing if the special council will indict him for everything else.....and there's still NY State and Georgia.

Placing my bet on the special council for actually getting Trump indicted, arrested, convicted and jailed.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » December 22, 2022, 7:20 pm

Ah, the smoking gun is Bob Carr, after the former labor foreign minister stated that the only choice for US Ambassador was Kevin Rudd, the PM categorically rejected the claim. Back Room Bob has got his way if if it is to the chagrin of fellow labor heavyweights (that is not including you Whistler)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 22, 2022, 7:24 pm

AU Ambassador Mossie. To a large extent you are correct. Foreign policy is set by the government of the day, in this case by Albo and Penny Wong, Rudd is to be the liaison between the two countries and will be a player, but not a decision maker.

What some on here do not understand is the appintment of an ambassador is a process. Australia would present Rudd's credentials to the USA before any final decision as a matter of protocol.

To suggest Albo had agreed to appoint Rudd before he was even PM is impossible, as he was not PM he could not even start the process.

Noosard and TT are anti Labor, as a result they say anything, but frankly do not even know anything about the process and foolishly display their ignorance.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 22, 2022, 7:28 pm

Yup, my mistake. AU Ambassador.

Sorry, even less of a big deal selection in my opinion.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 22, 2022, 8:17 pm

trekkertony wrote:
December 22, 2022, 7:20 pm
Ah, the smoking gun is Bob Carr, after the former labor foreign minister stated that the only choice for US Ambassador was Kevin Rudd, the PM categorically rejected the claim. Back Room Bob has got his way if if it is to the chagrin of fellow labor heavyweights (that is not including you Whistler)
Smoking gun, you have to be kidding. Bob and Albo are different factions. Bob still has influence in the NSW right wing faction, but Albo is a thorn in the side of the NSW right. Rudd is Centre Unity. This was not a case of rolling Albo, it was more likely a pragmatic choice in the Labor party to chose Rudd, nothing smoking gun about that.

Another silly little dig , I was never a Labor heavyweight and never claimed to be, what's more in my middling role in the party I was never aligned with any factions.

Keep making you damn stupid posts and placing your ignorance on display, it is mildly amusing to me, but no doubt boring to most on here.
Last edited by Whistler on December 23, 2022, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 22, 2022, 8:35 pm

Whistler wrote:
December 22, 2022, 8:17 pm

Keep making you damn stupid posts and placing your ignorance on display, it is mildly amusing to me, but no doubt boring to most on here.
Particularly those (including myself) who may have come to this thread expecting to read about "U.S. Politics".

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » December 22, 2022, 11:52 pm

So what's the risk of the Republicans clipping the president's wings when it comes to tangible support for Ukraine? It's a very real issue when you consider the previous president's relationship to Putin.
...Mr Zelensky expressed hope this extra funding would be approved, to "help us to defend our values and independence".

But there are signs that US support is likely to face greater political scrutiny. Republican support for continued assistance has been eroding.

In a survey conducted in November, just over half of Republican voters supported aid to Ukraine - down from 80% in March.

The party, which will take control of the House of Representatives in January, has warned it will not write a "blank cheque" for Ukraine.

But President Biden has vowed to stick by Ukraine "for as long as it takes"...
Source BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64066584
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 23, 2022, 8:06 am

Definitely harder to get funding for Ukraine next year, but believe there is enough House Republicans that'll vote for extra funding for Ukraine that it'll pass thru the House and Senate (predict at least 4 Republican Senators will vote "Yes" for additional funding, if their votes are required to pass.....if not...then they for political reasons will vote "No".....thus is the current Republican Party.....not doing what's best for everyone.....only doing what's best for themselves).

On a side note. Woke up this morning expecting to see Trump's tax returns, would of been interesting reading with my morning coffee.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 23, 2022, 8:15 am

"Your money is not charity. It's an investment in the global security and democracy that we handle in the most responsible way." - President Zelensky

President Zelensky 100% correct on "global security and democracy" and I'll even say 80% correct/honest on "responsible way."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 23, 2022, 8:32 am

Mosquito wrote:
December 23, 2022, 8:15 am
"Your money is not charity. It's an investment in the global security and democracy that we handle in the most responsible way." - President Zelensky

President Zelensky 100% correct on "global security and democracy" and I'll even say 80% correct/honest on "responsible way."
That's 20% with vested interests in corruption, nepotism thieving, pork barreling and horse trading. Sounds like your standard western democracy, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “U.S. Politics”