Mosquito
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by Mosquito » December 23, 2022, 8:46 am

tamada wrote:
December 23, 2022, 8:32 am
Mosquito wrote:
December 23, 2022, 8:15 am
"Your money is not charity. It's an investment in the global security and democracy that we handle in the most responsible way." - President Zelensky

President Zelensky 100% correct on "global security and democracy" and I'll even say 80% correct/honest on "responsible way."
That's 20% with vested interests in corruption, nepotism thieving, pork barreling and horse trading. Sounds like your standard western democracy, no?

Tamada, you're giving Western Democracy to much credit. My personal opinion and calculation being over 30% for the US on any current military operation/funding.

I for one, do see supporting Ukraine as a cheap investment in future global security and democracy (American Lives).

Think both the US and UK would of considered themselves successful with 80% responsible use of funds during WW2.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 25, 2022, 7:36 pm

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 25, 2022, 9:02 pm

tamada wrote:
December 25, 2022, 7:36 pm
Buh-bye Kari.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbusha ... nce-claim/
Nonetheless, Lake continues to double-down on the claims. In recent remarks during an event at Trump's resort home in Mar-a-Lago, the Republican contended that she would likely win her lawsuit.

"We're in the middle of a lawsuit right now, and it is the strongest lawsuit—strongest election lawsuit the country's ever seen," she said at the time. https://www.newsweek.com/kari-lake-insi ... ud-1769515
Oops! :D

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 9, 2023, 12:21 pm

Finished the last of this one this morning. The link on top also includes the transcript which some may prefer to read than listen to the audio.

https://lexfridman.com/robert-f-kennedy ... _elections

IMHO Lex Fridman is a most excellent interviewer. He asks brilliant, unbiased questions with a heavy science and engineering background yet always philosophical overtones of a well rounded human being. In this case, the person Lex is having a discussion with sounds to be a highly intelligent, empathetic and well grounded leader with an astounding, historically detailed memory and fearless determination against evil enterprises. Very interesting for us lesser beings.

I challenge the naysayers to watch, listen to or read this without having a different opinion than the one they may have had prior to a longer form discussion. The legacy media outlets have been pushing the anti-vaxx, looney, conspiracy theory narrative sound bites for some time now.

The long form discussions are certainly not everyone's cup of tea but I do think this format allows us to hear and have a much deeper understanding of a candidate's mindset. The sound bite methods are nearly content free way used to sell advertising and candidates that can't put complete thoughts together in the mainstream. I think this longer form podcast style is an essential component to having a voting population with the vital actual facts.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 9, 2023, 3:47 pm

^ Got to agree and thanks for the links but they didn't name that comedy show "Short Attention Span Theater" for nothing. It's seems to be the sound bites that register unfortunately.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 9, 2023, 7:59 pm

I listened to the entire interview, He does make some good points but to accuse all the drug companies of being entirely profit motivated is going a bit too far. To make the statements that all vaccines kill more people than they save is also going too far. The idea that money corrupts rings very true. It takes money to make money is just a simple fact and money does indeed corrupt. I always believed that the vast majority of politicians are corrupt because none of the most important career politicians are poor.

The interview reminded me of my mother. She worshiped JFK and no one had better say anything bad about him, When he was assassinated, she cried many tears. From that day forward she refused to talk about politics. She always simply said that her president was murdered. She had no idea of who killed him and just didn't want to talk about it.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 10, 2023, 12:06 am

glalt wrote:
July 9, 2023, 7:59 pm
I listened to the entire interview, He does make some good points but to accuse all the drug companies of being entirely profit motivated is going a bit too far. To make the statements that all vaccines kill more people than they save is also going too far. The idea that money corrupts rings very true. It takes money to make money is just a simple fact and money does indeed corrupt. I always believed that the vast majority of politicians are corrupt because none of the most important career politicians are poor.

The interview reminded me of my mother. She worshiped JFK and no one had better say anything bad about him, When he was assassinated, she cried many tears. From that day forward she refused to talk about politics. She always simply said that her president was murdered. She had no idea of who killed him and just didn't want to talk about it.
Thanks for the comments (which is why we are all here, to broaden our horizons).

I agree that some of RFK Jr's views seem to go a little too far. I'm not sure he said ALL drug companies are ENTIRELY profit motivated and his vaccine views/studies are certainly very nuanced thus harder to explain fully even in long form interviews. The studies showing certain viruses or conditions were greatly diminished but at a cost of immune systems being destroyed in certain groups of people making it more harmful than good was eye opening at least to me anyway.

He does throw down some damning evidence regarding certain pharma companies and certain individual scientists and agencies in each others pockets in his book: "The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health" https://www.amazon.com/Real-Anthony-Fau ... 8&qid=&sr= (disclaimer: I am listening to the book right now on Audible when I go for my daily walkabout so I may be mixing some content between the book and the interview at the moment).

There are also a couple of Mini Series on HBO worth watching if one is looking for more info on what Big Pharma, in particular Purdue Pharma, owned by the Sackler family, are alleged to have done and continue to be doing:
Dopesick https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9174558/ (a Drama)
The Crime of the Century https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14055432/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 (a Documentary)

I wish RFK Jr had a more positive view on nuclear energy (which was not really talked about much in the Lex Fridman interview) but is discussed in many others (e.g. with Rogan and with Bill Maher) and touched upon here: https://www.ans.org/news/article-5111/r ... ar-energy/ I am hopeful a couple of the nuclear physicists and engineers can help him see the more positive potential as he will follow the data when presented properly.

I agree with the Kennedy name opening doors for this fella but as a non-Dem and one that does not really go down the political rabbit holes, that is all it did for me. That name made me think 'I wonder what this guy has to say' rather than make me a devoted follower, that's for sure. Then there is the topic of some of his family members not fully agreeing with his take on things. That is a non-issue to me since the family name means less to me than what the man has to say.

Glad someone else on the forum persevered to listen to it all the way as his spasmodic dysphonia is a bit tough to take especially at first listen.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 10, 2023, 3:54 pm

In no way does Kennedy present a balanced view on most topics. He is a fringe oddity that cannot be taken seriously, his anti Vax position is plainly at odds with science.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 10, 2023, 9:08 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 10, 2023, 3:54 pm
In no way does Kennedy present a balanced view on most topics. He is a fringe oddity that cannot be taken seriously, his anti Vax position is plainly at odds with science.
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. There may be others out there that don't share your unyielding belief in mainstream liberal leaning news bubble which also includes Facebook, Google and the old Twitter to name but a few. Round and round she goes and the recirculation cements in ideals and values on the left much the same way a Fox news only viewer swims only in the right side murky pond of news.

I say this only because it seems that you didn't actually listen to RFK Jr for any significant amount of time. If you did you would see that he is seriously not an anti-vaxxer but rather one that wants proper testing of vaccines to ensure the side effects are not worse than the thing they are treating and to justify the what 72 vaccines now mandated for kids in the US. Here is the time it is discussed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtBkw5uD-0&t=6938s If I am wrong and you did read/listen but still have that opinion, I do apologise but please listen/read all the way to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtBkw5uD-0&t=7797s before you stop. You know, just for argument's sake.

Myself, I prefer to hear the long form podcasts when it comes to science, technology and now some politics since it is hard for those folks to carry on with BS particularly when some of the channels are performing some form of checking during the interview. Long form conversations seem to bring out topics that I may have had a cursory and uninformed opinion on before but a compelling argument makes me think twice. My thoughts are that MSM have done a fantastic job of making oped news columns sound like actual news especially of late. I most certainly don't want the opinions of the news agency summarized and given to me as a paragraph or two of what was once called news. No thanks. 'Just the facts ma'am, just the facts'.

I will be the first to say that I trusted the CDC, WHO, Pfizer yadda, yadda and thought to some degree nothing of the potential for a money grab thinking it was just conspiracy theorists at work. Now, I am not so sure and I am keeping an open mind. There have been multiple cases of mainstream news changing the hard line raging/blacklisting and generally against anyone who questions the narrative. Now they are actually printing, retracting and editing the facts to somewhat reflect a peek at the real deal. Crazy times. I mean who would have thought that Big Pharma would now be contributing more money to the the Dems than the Righties? That happened as a way to get ObamaCare pushed through, did it not? Again, I am not much of a political fella but these things are starting to matter to me (perhaps because of my age or possibly because I can't tolerate people that don't tolerate others opinions much. 555 ;-) ).

Oh before I forget, here are the citation links for the Fauci book for your perusal:
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/fauc ... citations/

Now since I am an optimist and believe most people really do want to hear both sides of a topic, I will take this opportunity to offer you (Whistler) a loan of my copy of the Audible book (well not mine but I do subscribe to Audible so its a loan of a lease of sorts $25.99 value or 1 Audible credit is the value to me):
The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health.
Please PM for details (I think it requires an email address or WhatsApp ID but it may be sharable within a PM. Shall we try?).
Last edited by Potamoi on July 10, 2023, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 10, 2023, 11:08 pm

A long email, and a few things all requiring a long response. Maybe too boring for many on here. I will send a PM with my email, it would be interesting to exchange views
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 11, 2023, 1:02 am

Whistler wrote:
July 10, 2023, 11:08 pm
A long email, and a few things all requiring a long response. Maybe too boring for many on here. I will send a PM with my email, it would be interesting to exchange views
Yup, cool.
Any rebuttal or refutation is best kept in here else people may think you are attempting to discredit me by a lesson being taught offline or something to that effect. So you can keep that part public, I have no issue there.
We can keep the book link and the other private bits in the PM.
Nite Mr W.
Benjamin Franklin

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 11, 2023, 12:58 pm

Potamoi wrote:
July 9, 2023, 12:21 pm
Finished the last of this one this morning. The link on top also includes the transcript which some may prefer to read than listen to the audio.

https://lexfridman.com/robert-f-kennedy ... _elections

IMHO Lex Fridman is a most excellent interviewer. He asks brilliant, unbiased questions with a heavy science and engineering background yet always philosophical overtones of a well rounded human being. In this case, the person Lex is having a discussion with sounds to be a highly intelligent, empathetic and well grounded leader with an astounding, historically detailed memory and fearless determination against evil enterprises. Very interesting for us lesser beings.

I challenge the naysayers to watch, listen to or read this without having a different opinion than the one they may have had prior to a longer form discussion. The legacy media outlets have been pushing the anti-vaxx, looney, conspiracy theory narrative sound bites for some time now.

The long form discussions are certainly not everyone's cup of tea but I do think this format allows us to hear and have a much deeper understanding of a candidate's mindset. The sound bite methods are nearly content free way used to sell advertising and candidates that can't put complete thoughts together in the mainstream. I think this longer form podcast style is an essential component to having a voting population with the vital actual facts.
In case you've not seen it, Bobby Jr is also on the Joe Rogan podcast (only a few weeks old I think). It's also a long form interview of about 3 hours. Am about 1 hour into it. Certainly interesting.

Sorry no link, I'm watching on Spotify and no clue how to share a link from it.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 11, 2023, 2:13 pm

deankham wrote:
July 11, 2023, 12:58 pm
Sorry no link, I'm watching on Spotify and no clue how to share a link from it.
Got it:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3DQfcT ... d7686a45bf
Benjamin Franklin

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 11, 2023, 2:18 pm

In an interesting development just a few minutes ago. the Australian BC reporter in Lithuania has referred to the U.S. leader, as President Bush twice. He did not mention which Bush was heading the U.S. delegation..
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 11, 2023, 4:58 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 11, 2023, 2:18 pm
In an interesting development just a few minutes ago. the Australian BC reporter in Lithuania has referred to the U.S. leader, as President Bush twice. He did not mention which Bush was heading the U.S. delegation..
Hope it's not the dead one.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 12, 2023, 11:49 am

Potamoi wrote:
July 11, 2023, 1:02 am
Whistler wrote:
July 10, 2023, 11:08 pm
Yup, cool.
Any rebuttal or refutation is best kept in here else people may think you are attempting to discredit me by a lesson being taught offline or something to that effect. So you can keep that part public, I have no issue there.
We can keep the book link and the other private bits in the PM.
Nite Mr W.
I am about half way through the doc Mr P, an interesting read. His views on foreign policy aligns with mine, he would like to restore a world image of a constructive USA with an olive branch in one hand and dollars for worthy projects in the other.

His views on vaccination however well articulated, have him a died in the wool anti Vaxer. How about I write it up and send to you first so I can get your input, and then we can post on here for others to digest? One post with a summary from you, and one from me. It will be much a better approach than some of the bickering debates we typically see on here.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2023, 2:31 pm

No, no....and NO!

We want bickering, we crave bickering, we DEMAND bickering (at CCW&S on Friday).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 12, 2023, 2:35 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 12, 2023, 11:49 am
I am about half way through the doc Mr P, an interesting read. His views on foreign policy aligns with mine, he would like to restore a world image of a constructive USA with an olive branch in one hand and dollars for worthy projects in the other.

His views on vaccination however well articulated, have him a died in the wool anti Vaxer. How about I write it up and send to you first so I can get your input, and then we can post on here for others to digest? One post with a summary from you, and one from me. It will be much a better approach than some of the bickering debates we typically see on here.
Referring to the doc here I assume you are speaking to the transcript of the Lex Fridman interview. (NOTE: I did spot a few typos in the transcript which looks to be an AI task. Please consider the context clues when reading through).

As for the next paragraph in your quoted post above asking for a summary in one (or two posts). Sure. In principal, I'm all for reduction of the back and forth drama which are so often the case. I suppose as long as there are no edits or additions to two summaries once agreed offline that would be a fair dinkum way to reduce the thread clutter.

Now for the The Real Anthony Fauci book loan offer. Since you seem to want to get have a deeper look at both sides of the vaccine and Big Pharma allegations RFK Jr makes and you appear to consume written text over audio/video. I will upgrade my offer to the audio version or the Kindle version of that book. Name your format of choice in a PM along with an email address and I'll do my best to accommodate.
Benjamin Franklin

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 12, 2023, 3:17 pm

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 12, 2023, 10:55 pm

Ta Mr P
You are correct, am a reader, zip Ai only responses.

Return to “U.S. Politics”