EU in or out? Brexit: The Movie

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » June 26, 2016, 3:34 am

Brexititions Flying In All Directions. Maybe just do the whole thing over with a few rounds of Rock Scissors Paper?

"Two Million Sign Petition Demanding Another Referendum"
A petition asking the U.K. government to hold another European Union referendum has garnered more than 2 million signatures in just 24 hours. The official results from Thursday's vote gave the "leave" campaign a narrow victory, with 52 percent of the vote. The voter turnout rate was 72 percent, and the petitioners want to append a rule stating that turnout must exceed 75 percent if the winner received less than 60 percent. While the possibility of another referendum is a longshot, the issue must now be debated in the British Parliament becuase the petition eclipsed 100,000 signatures.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/201 ... endum.html

"2.1 million Brits signed a petition for another E.U. referendum. They shouldn’t hold their breath."
Yes. It's actually happening. People in Britain are talking seriously about the possibility of another referendum.

A petition calling for another referendum on whether Britain should stay in the European Union has now received at least 2.1 million signatures — a level that means it must now be debated by British politicians. It was apparently so popular that the British Parliament's website, where the petition was hosted, briefly crashed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... ?tid=sm_tw

p.s. this post accepts all nationalities and doesn't contain veiled aspects of discrimination, alienation, which a separate but related angle of the issue seems very much to.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 26, 2016, 6:34 am

an Italians view of things

https://youtu.be/i9cLwoTkWes
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 26, 2016, 8:05 am

i think england is making a big mistake leaving the EU , this will lead to divide the uk more ...
as for EU easy now , free shuttle/boat transfers for immigrants to the UK ... :D

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 26, 2016, 8:23 am

kopkei wrote:free shuttle/boat transfers for immigrants to the UK ... :D
I understand the English and Welsh coasts have already been mined. Not Scotland or N.Ireland. :lol:

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » June 26, 2016, 8:47 am

"All changed. Changed utterly. A terrible beauty is born" - W B Yeats 1916

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » June 26, 2016, 9:12 am

marjamlew wrote:
Zidane wrote:Apparently,when he was at Turnberry yesterday,"Dangerous Donald" congratulated the Scottish people on their decision to leave the EU.He had to be reminded that the Scots actually voted to stay in ! :roll:

But even more disturbing news following on from yesterday.According to Fox News,Britain has also voted to leave the United Nations (UN) :shock:
UK to leave the UN.jpg
Zid that says absolutely everything that you would ever need to know about Fox News and any of the inbred, rednecks who watch it =D>
Yep - Rupert Murdoch has amazing powers. He managed to trick the minds of those that don't watch Sky or read the Sun into voting 'Leave' after they carefully weighed up the pros and cons of the issue themselves.

I clearly see now how Rupert and the Koche Brothers have been controlling peoples minds to act against the wishes of the progressive luvvies and the great unwashed masses.

If we get rid of Rupert and the Koche's everything will be all right.

The world really is a magical place.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 26, 2016, 9:56 pm

As Mr Fixer said, most of the EU regulations will stay, because their are good reasons for them. As for 'bent bananas', another myth, of course they can be sold, it is just a matter of grading. And of course, the Brexit leaders are now reneging on their 'promises' at a rapid rate, because they were either based on 'untruths' (i.e. lies) or because they actually don't know if they can deliver.

Meanwhile, I am now about 4,000 baht a month worse off compared with last week. How long i will have to pay for this idiocy i don't know, but from the nonsense Brexit has put out up to now, i guess until i die.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » June 27, 2016, 4:06 am

papafarang wrote:an Italians view of things

https://youtu.be/i9cLwoTkWes
Paolo Barnard's statements in this video don't bear much scrutiny:

"Europe exports to the UK ten times more than what the UK exports in Europe."

"The UK exports 12% to the EU."

Actually in 2015, the UK exported £223 billion of goods and services to other EU member states. This is equivalent to 43.7% of total UK exports. Goods and services imports from the EU were worth £291 billion (53.1% of the total) in 2015.(Source House of Commons Briefing Paper Number 06091, 13 June 2016 http://ukbriefingpapers.co.uk/briefingpaper/SN06091)

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » June 27, 2016, 4:13 am

pipoz4444 wrote:I snapped this off the "Express' and really don't know how much truth there is to it. But, if this is what the UK has been paying for, in part, (keeping the highly paid Brussels Politicians in plush offices & lifestyle), just to come up with crap like this, then you (the UK) is better off without them. I would estimate that each one of the rules probably cost in the order of EURO 250,000 to develop.

I would be extremely worried about Rule 5, as my TG definitely needs her well curved Banana when I am not there. \:D/ I need to remember to order Class II when I go shopping at Big C, next. Will the Thai Girls serving know the difference. [-X

Apparent EU Rules

1. Tea Bags: EU rules mean that “you can’t recycle a tea bag”. Under EU law, local authorities are allowed to ban the composting of teabags if there are fears over the spread of disease. For example, Cardiff Council told household not to throw away tea bags in an attempt to prevent the spread of foot-and-mouth disease in 2005.

2. Light Bulbs: Britain can go back to using decent “60-watt, peach-coloured” light bulbs. Widely unpopular EU regulations have restricted the sale of incandescent light bulbs because they were seen as not energy efficient enough. Their more energy efficient replacements - LED and fluorescent bulbs - give off a colder, more unnatural light.

3. Balloons: EU rules mean that “children under eight cannot blow up balloons”. In a strongly-worded denial the European Commission had previously said: “EU DOES NOT ban children from blowing up balloons”. The controversial directive warns that children under eight should not blow up latex balloons without adult supervision.

4. Pet Horses: Under a bizarre EU law, it is illegal for people to eat pet horses but they are still allowed to eat other types of horses. Europeans who raise and slaughter horses for meat must not pass them off as pets in a bid to dodge food safety rules. Horse passports must show whether horses can be used for food at the end of their life.

5. Bananas: In a widely ridiculed ruling, Brussels bosses banned rogue bananas with "malformations and abnormal curvature". In 2009, the European Union introduced strict restrictions on the quality of bananas and other fruit sold within the EU. Under the regulations, Class I bananas can have “slight defects of shape” but Class II bananas are allowed to have “defects of shape”.

6. Toasters: Brussels bureaucrats plan to crack down on toasters, kettles and hair-dryers shortly after today's EU referendum on Britain’s membership of the bloc. The proposed ban on high-powered household appliances is part of the European Commission’s long delayed ‘eco-design restrictions’. Even some EU officials have admitted that the move would bring “ridicule”. The new rules come after the controversial ban of high-powered vacuum cleaners.

pipoz4444
http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/eur ... a-z-index/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 27, 2016, 11:45 am

One of the "experts" on TV said he was a bit concerned for Northern Ireland as virtually ALL their exports are to the EU (mainly Southern Ireland) 8-[

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 27, 2016, 12:16 pm

I find it interesting that some Brits worry more about the exchange rate than the good of the country. They would rather stay under the heel of appointed fat EU bureaucrats than give up a few baht exchange rate. You should be proud that you have taken back your country.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » June 27, 2016, 1:36 pm

I am.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 27, 2016, 2:00 pm

I can smell a conspiracy to pull the rug from under the referendum's outcome. Whether it's going to be successful is unclear.

I think the Tories should roll up their sleeves and invoke article 50. The fence sitting is going to draw out the uncertainty.

I also think some of the big fibs in the campaign are starting to bite the fibbers on the bum. Osborne now has to talk the economy up and the leave campaigners explain why immigration isn't going to fall significantly. The fibs now carry a price.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » June 27, 2016, 4:38 pm

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » June 27, 2016, 5:45 pm

Gove and Boris on TV this morning.
Gove appeared shell-shocked and had little to say.
Boris was talking about taking things very slowly, no big changes, 'we should remember is wasn't an overwhelming vote to leave' - hmm...
I suspect neither expected to win, they were engaged in political positioning to further their careers. Boris for PM, Gove for Chancellor. Now they have won they are thinking 'WTF do we do now!' Boris, I am certain, didn't really believe in the intellectual argument for Brexit and as a former London Mayor will be well aware of the risk the London banking sector.
Farage has been uncharacteristically silent, although he did surface at the end of last week to acknowledge the claim of £350m sent to the EU was 'a mistake'.
My guess is that Boris hasn't got the stomach to be the Brexit PM and wants to stall things for as long as possible. The longer the delay, the more chance of their being some sort of 'compromise'. I am certain that at the end of the day there will be the solution of 'Associate Membership' of the EU, with the UK accepting the majority of the rules and regs of the EU and with some kind of 'emergency brake' on EU immigration. Of course this will take us back more of less to where we were last week, but most likely with an economy in recession and quite a few people's lives in turmoil.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 27, 2016, 5:56 pm

Oh so true. A Brexit cause without any idea if they can actually achieve the aims that the electorate voted for (most had only a vague idea of what was involved).

Meanwhile, the Stock market and exchange rate continue to decline (pound down over 3% as i post).

I'm proud to have voted remain. Of course the EU has problems - every political entity does.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » June 27, 2016, 6:23 pm

I thought the EU was riddled with flaws, and Merkel made some serious errors last year. However in my view Brexit was a case of 'the cure being worse than the disease'. Voters were fed a diet of caricatured EU by the media, particularly the Murdoch media which has always been very anti-EU. In my job (technology consultancy, working world-wide) I could see how much UK companies were getting from the EU. In fact last year UK companies received about 20% of all EU science and technology funding. Much more money than from the UK government. I can't see a future UK government coming up with the funds to fill that gap (its more likely to be spent on tax cuts), so I think science and technology in the UK is in for a lean time.
I think we should have Remained and worked for reform from the inside. We had some good political allies in the EU (Germany, Poland, Netherlands).

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 27, 2016, 6:43 pm

glalt wrote:I find it interesting that some Brits worry more about the exchange rate than the good of the country. They would rather stay under the heel of appointed fat EU bureaucrats than give up a few baht exchange rate. You should be proud that you have taken back your country.
In 1973 I voted to be part of Europe because I didn't want Britain to become the 50 something State of America ..... NOTHINGS CHANGED. I spent a few childhood years being BRITISH and virtually ALL my adult life proud to be EUROPEAN with all our diverse cultures (and variety of beers :lol: ) As I am not in my mid - late seventies I have only known the good and bad part of being European and as for the "proud to have taken our country back" I'll wait and see who is pulling the strings and which ones they are pulling before I decide if I'm proud or ashamed

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 27, 2016, 7:01 pm

Back when Britain decided to join the EU and common market
It turned away from it's offspring
The far flung colonies were left to their own devices
So they look to both Asia and USA for new markets
Had to stand on their own
No more mother England
Am sure Britain does not need the fatherland to survive out in the big wide world

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » June 28, 2016, 6:32 am

Lord’s Prayer – 66 words

10 Commandments – 179 words

Gettysburg address – 286 words

EU regulations on the sale of cabbage – 26,911 words

https://themarcusreview.com/2016/06/26/ ... -the-rest/

Return to “U.K.”