It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post Reply
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11045
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by jackspratt » August 30, 2019, 11:15 am

saint wrote:
August 30, 2019, 8:05 am
The majority of the British public did vote to leave the E U .
The majority of the British public who were eligible, and bothered to vote (~ 72%), voted to leave the EU.

I believe I read somewhere that meant actually only 37% of the British public voted to leave the EU.



User avatar
fatbob
udonmap.com
Posts: 1980
Joined: July 14, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by fatbob » August 30, 2019, 11:25 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:15 am
saint wrote:
August 30, 2019, 8:05 am
The majority of the British public did vote to leave the E U .
The majority of the British public who were eligible, and bothered to vote (~ 72%), voted to leave the EU.

I believe I read somewhere that meant actually only 37% of the British public voted to leave the EU.

So what if 37% voted, apathy is no excuse, everyone has the right to vote, those that are to lazy to vote don't have an opinion after the event.

User avatar
Lone Star
udonmap.com
Posts: 5699
Joined: June 26, 2014, 11:52 pm

It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by Lone Star » August 30, 2019, 11:34 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:14 am
Lone Star wrote:
August 30, 2019, 8:14 am

LIBs don't recognize the popular vote if it hands them a loss. They want to vote until they get the desired result.

You can't be a LIB without being a hypocrite.
So tell us about the popular vote on 8 November 2016 again. :-k
Are you repeating this yet again knowing that it doesn't matter? They only resort to it as an excuse when they lose, and it isn't part of the equation.

They don't like the simple majority when it confirmed Kavanaugh and other federal judges.

They don't even like the simple majority in each state -- unless their candidate is elected. Now they want the winner in each state ignored unless the result matches the national result. They are willing to throw out the Will of the People in an entire state and subvert the Constitution to arrive at a popular vote. The same LIBs who claim 'one person, one vote'.

If their guy loses the popular vote, you can bet they'll have another idea.

You can't be a Democrat without being a hypocrite.
Last edited by Lone Star on August 30, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

User avatar
Lone Star
udonmap.com
Posts: 5699
Joined: June 26, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Lone Star » August 30, 2019, 11:35 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:15 am
saint wrote:
August 30, 2019, 8:05 am
The majority of the British public did vote to leave the E U .
The majority of the British public who were eligible, and bothered to vote (~ 72%), voted to leave the EU.

I believe I read somewhere that meant actually only 37% of the British public voted to leave the EU.
"Elections have consequences." - Bayrack
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11045
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by jackspratt » August 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Lone Star wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:34 am
jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:14 am
Lone Star wrote:
August 30, 2019, 8:14 am

LIBs don't recognize the popular vote if it hands them a loss. They want to vote until they get the desired result.

You can't be a LIB without being a hypocrite.
So tell us about the popular vote on 8 November 2016 again. :-k
Are you repeating this yet again knowing that it doesn't matter? They only resort to it as an excuse when they lose, and it isn't part of the equation.

They don't like the simple majority when it confirmed Kavanaugh and other federal judges.

They don't even like the simple majority in each state -- unless their candidate is elected. Now they want the winner in each state ignored unless the result matches the national result. They are willing to throw out the Will of the People in an entire state and subvert the Constitution to arrive at a popular vote. The same LIBs who claim 'one person, one vote'.

If their guy loses the popular vote, you can bet they'll have another idea.

You can't be a Democrat without being a hypocrite.
When is the "popular vote" not the popular vote? :D

I think the hypocrisy is self evident.

joudon
udonmap.com
Posts: 296
Joined: August 31, 2010, 4:08 pm

Re: It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by joudon » August 30, 2019, 11:59 am

You correctly state 72% of eligible votes voted. So what about the other 28%. Pollsters would use the same % from those who voted ,for the 28% who did not vote, That is why we often read about majority this and majority that from a sample of only 2000.
Bottom line is , the majority voted LEAVE.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 889
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by AlexO » August 30, 2019, 12:21 pm

joudon wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:59 am
You correctly state 72% of eligible votes voted. So what about the other 28%. Pollsters would use the same % from those who voted ,for the 28% who did not vote, That is why we often read about majority this and majority that from a sample of only 2000.
Bottom line is , the majority voted LEAVE.
Good post Joudon.
The remainer's can shout all they want about a Peoples Vote etc but they forget the Peoples Vote ended up with 17.4 million ( resulting in a massive majority in todays political climate ) voted out, leave, tell them to go away in short sharp movements. Since the referendum in 2016 we have seen a procession of anti democratic halfwits saying we are wrong etc. So if you are in the Momentum movement and bow down to Corbyn and his cronies then you are the only people who's vote matters, the rest of us are just the Lumpen Masses. 'You really think so!!'

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 889
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by AlexO » August 30, 2019, 12:55 pm

Zico wrote:
April 2, 2019, 3:03 pm
stereolab wrote:
April 2, 2019, 12:18 pm

Scotland may well become a socialist workers paradise, if the SNP get their way. Politics in Scotland is very Central Belt fixated, most funding goes to Edinburgh and Glasgow, the other main cities fight for the scraps. The SNP want to stay in the EU for the funding it receives, no other reason.
Why should Scotland need funding from the EU?

The UK is a major contributor to the EU budget. It makes no sense that regions of the UK are so neglected by central government that the EU needs to step in.

If the government spent more money on developing the less affluent areas, outside London and the South East, the net contributions to the EU would reduce accordingly.

The notion that leaving the EU frees up money is absolute bullshit. The government could and should be spending that money domestically already.


Sorry Zico just how do you work that one out.
The UK are 'NETT' contributors to the EU by some 11 billion quid
The EU gets its funds from Countries who actually produce something. Just remember a few years ago during the Cameron and Osbourne days when the EU demanded more money from the UK because the economy was doing better than forecasted. Everybody in the UK was up in arms about these demands especially Cameron and Osbourne but guess what, we quietly gave in and contributed more to the Junker wine cellar and retirement fund. The EU then says it has sole responsibility on who gets grants etc from the very generous EU who also dictate how and where the money is spent. If we spend more internally in the UK we still have to give the same amount to the EU who also demands that we spend billions on foreign aid. The Great Shepherdess wants to be part of the great Republican Experiment because of inherent racial/national preducies against England nothing else. That is why the former IRA leaders are such hero's to her plus she can count on a religious based vote in her quest to breakup the UK.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11045
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by jackspratt » August 30, 2019, 2:22 pm

joudon wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:59 am
You correctly state 72% of eligible votes voted. So what about the other 28%. Pollsters would use the same % from those who voted ,for the 28% who did not vote, That is why we often read about majority this and majority that from a sample of only 2000.
Bottom line is , the majority voted LEAVE.
I merely stated the facts - not assumptions or extrapolations..

User avatar
Lone Star
udonmap.com
Posts: 5699
Joined: June 26, 2014, 11:52 pm

It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by Lone Star » August 30, 2019, 2:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:57 am


When is the "popular vote" not the popular vote? :D

I think the hypocrisy is self evident.
It's not about what IS the popular vote. It's about how LIBs are hypocritical when using it -- especially in circumstances where it has no standing in the outcome.

It's really very simple. LIBs only embrace anything when it is of some benefit to them. THAT is the hypocrisy.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

User avatar
arjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 8278
Joined: October 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Location: Gone to get a life, "troll free"

Re: It was never about Europe. Brexit is Britain’s reckoning with itself

Post by arjay » September 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 2:22 pm
joudon wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:59 am
You correctly state 72% of eligible votes voted. So what about the other 28%. Pollsters would use the same % from those who voted ,for the 28% who did not vote, That is why we often read about majority this and majority that from a sample of only 2000.
Bottom line is , the majority voted LEAVE.
I merely stated the facts - not assumptions or extrapolations..
Note also that the turnout for the 2016 referendum was higher than a normal general election.

Fact: 52% of those who voted, voted to leave.

vlad
udonmap.com
Posts: 1677
Joined: July 23, 2008, 8:03 pm
Location: united kingdom.

I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by vlad » September 2, 2019, 10:53 pm

As the thread says I live in a Country where your democratic rights have been taken away from you, Our Prime Minister will soon be sacked with the help of his own party members who have decided to join Corbyn and force a general Election. Only weeks ago the very same members backed him and voted for him to be there leader, that is now another act of Treason in my opinion. Most members have ignored the general population when we voted to leave and have there own agendas for wanting to stay in Europe. his own members are preparing to him and us to stab us in the back. If a general Election is forced on us I fear Boris will be forced into vote of confidence which with so many stabbing him he will lose therefore a puppet will be installed by the conservative Remainers will shelve any thoughts we had of leaving Europe. Even and its just even if Corbyn loses he will fix the results.
A sad day today to be an Englishman its little wonder we are the laughing stock of Europe and probably the World.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 889
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by AlexO » September 3, 2019, 11:54 am

"A sad day today to be an Englishman its little wonder we are the laughing stock of Europe and probably the World."


Vlad
There's not many days that are good days to be an Englishman :D
I actually think Boris is playing the game correctly. Making it very plain that voting against him is the same as supporting Corbyn. He has also stated that if he loses todays vote then tomorrow he will put in motion a vote for an early General Election. This will have 2 effects, the existing Tory MP's who voted against him will be deselected by their Constituency Parties because not many Tories will vote for someone who voted in line with Marxist Corbyn. The other is the traitors like Sourby will no longer be a sitting MP for a Tory seat and no doubt the local parties will vote for a Boris backing candidate to fight in the GE.
The other great unknown is what Nigel's Brexit Party will do. Reading between the lines even though Nigel F. is making noises about not supporting a revised deal he will in fact, enter into a non aggression pact with the Tories and fight the election in the many Labour Constituencies that voted leave in 2016 and who have been totally ignored and pooed on by Corbyn and his Momentum (Momendumb) supporters many U turns on Leave ,don't leave, have another Referendum and keep doing till we get the desired result. It is time to call the remainer's bluff as they reckoned just keep delaying and we will go the same way as Holland, Ireland etc. and just change our minds.

While certainly not the best day to be British but I am certainly not embarrassed at all about being British.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 12079
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by stattointhailand » September 3, 2019, 2:20 pm

So what else would you expect when you have an unelected buffoon in charge :confused:

I thought that politicians were elected to represent their constituants interests, so therefore if "No Deal" is against those best interests their democratic duty is to vote against it.

vlad
udonmap.com
Posts: 1677
Joined: July 23, 2008, 8:03 pm
Location: united kingdom.

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by vlad » September 3, 2019, 2:59 pm

The Government or there MPs have simply ignored there Constituents wishes Statts. They voted to speak for them in Parliament and voting to leave, there own MPs ignored there wishes and have decided to back remain or support the other Government. Boris should sack them all who won't back him.

Sabai
udonmap.com
Posts: 146
Joined: February 25, 2007, 8:59 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by Sabai » September 3, 2019, 5:03 pm

As an Irishman looking at your Sky news and our own news in Ireland. I agree with the OP.

Don't take me wrong but your country is a laughing stock worldwide. Best of luck in the future. You'll need it.

You're people in parliament still think they run an EMPIRE....
Sabai Sabai

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 889
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by AlexO » September 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

"So what else would you expect when you have an unelected buffoon in charge."


Totally wrong statto. Boris is a duly elected MP who has been voted as leader of the Conservative Party by members of the Conservative party who also are the majority party in the House of Commons (yes I know they need support from the DUP to maintain that majority) who therefor are invited by HRH The Queen to form a Government. Boris being leader of the ruling party thus becomes Prime Minister. Works in the UK, Canada, Australia, most European Countries in fact most of the Democratic world. The USA have a strange system that people vote for a president then have other votes for Senators and Congressmen who can be and often are at total opposition of the elected President hence the fiscal stalemates seen every year. Incidentally for an American he rather well educated rather than the buffoon you describe him as. He was educated at the European School in Brussels, Ashdown House and then at Eton College, where he was a individual's Scholar. He read Classics at Balliol College, Oxford, as a Brackenbury scholar.

User avatar
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Posts: 5493
Joined: February 7, 2007, 9:12 am
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 3, 2019, 6:21 pm

vlad wrote:
September 2, 2019, 10:53 pm
As the thread says I live in a Country where your democratic rights have been taken away from you, Our Prime Minister will soon be sacked with the help of his own party members who have decided to join Corbyn and force a general Election. Only weeks ago the very same members backed him and voted for him to be there leader, that is now another act of Treason in my opinion. Most members have ignored the general population when we voted to leave and have there own agendas for wanting to stay in Europe. his own members are preparing to him and us to stab us in the back. If a general Election is forced on us I fear Boris will be forced into vote of confidence which with so many stabbing him he will lose therefore a puppet will be installed by the conservative Remainers will shelve any thoughts we had of leaving Europe. Even and its just even if Corbyn loses he will fix the results.
A sad day today to be an Englishman its little wonder we are the laughing stock of Europe and probably the World.
Excellent post Vlad, coherent, on topic, well-argued and intelligent analysis.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 889
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by AlexO » September 3, 2019, 6:33 pm

Sabai wrote:
September 3, 2019, 5:03 pm
As an Irishman looking at your Sky news and our own news in Ireland. I agree with the OP.

Don't take me wrong but your country is a laughing stock worldwide. Best of luck in the future. You'll need it.

You're people in parliament still think they run an EMPIRE....
Thanks for your good wishes, I truly hope that your part of the Island of Ireland does not suffer too much from the EU's intransigence in creating such discord in relationships with our respective Countries. Your statement about Empire is slightly confusing. What people in our parliament want to run an empire (except Blair). You have those (remainer's who want to be a subservient part of the Dictatorial Empire of 28 and building (the EU), and then you have the others (leavers) who want to be a part of an independent nation again ie. one nation. Wee bit of Irish logic there.

yartims
udonmap.com
Posts: 922
Joined: July 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Re: I'm Embarrassed to be anEnglishman

Post by yartims » September 3, 2019, 7:34 pm

bojo has threatened to sack these back stabbing rats so they cant stand at another election so see what happens later
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Post Reply

Return to “U.K.”